City of Time and Magic

Pub Date 16 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 30 Nov 2021

Xanthe meets Brackston's most famous heroine, Elizabeth Hawksmith from The Witch's Daughter, in this crossover story with all the "historical detail, village charm, and twisty plotting" of the Found Things series (Publishers Weekly).

City of Time and Magic sees Xanthe face her greatest challenges yet. She must choose from three treasures that sing to her; a beautiful writing slope, a mourning brooch of heartbreaking detail, and a gorgeous gem-set hat pin. All call her, but the wrong one could take her on a mission other than that which she must address first, and the stakes could not be higher. While her earlier mission to Regency England had been a success, the journey home resulted in Liam being taken from her, spirited away to another time and place. Xanthe must follow the treasure that will take her to him if he is not to be lost forever.

Xanthe is certain that Mistress Flyte has Liam and determined to find them both. But when she discovers Lydia Flyte has been tracking the actions of the Visionary Society, a group of ruthless and unscrupulous Spinners who have been selling their talents to a club of wealthy clients, Xanthe realizes her work as a Spinner must come before her personal wishes. The Visionary Society is highly dangerous and directly opposed to the creed of the Spinners. Their actions could have disastrous consequences as they alter the authentic order of things and change the future. Xanthe knows she must take on the Society. It will require the skills of all her friends, old and new, to attempt such a thing, and not all of them will survive the confrontation that follows.

PRICE CA$37.99 (CAD)

What a treat to be drawn in to visit with old friends—-Xanthe, Liam, Harley, Flora! One could read this as a stand alone. But I think it is much richer if you read all the volumes in order, so that you know how Xanthe became a Spinner of Time, and what that means. The story——a voyage into Victorian England—-was, by turns, delightful and tragic, but always full of good company. New characters were as charming and engaging as the ones I already knew; with the exception of the bad guys, who really were quite bad (not badly written, just genuine evildoers). These volumes by Paula Brackston deserve the highest praise I can give: I look forward to reading them again (and maybe even again).

I loved this book. The characters were described with such detail you could almost see them. The story between Xanthe and Liam was beautiful, as well as the friendships that were formed. Loved the character of Elizabeth and her special bond with Xanthe.

I received a complimentary copy of City of Time and Magic from NetGalley.  Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own. I have loved every book in this series, and this one did not disappoint! I especially liked that Xanthe accepted the help of her friends: others who wished to assist in her greater calling. New elements of magic introduced in this novel open up a whole new world of opportunities for future books, for which I will be impatiently waiting. Elizabeth was an especially interesting addition to the storyline. Great book and also series!

I love all of Brackston's work, and this series is no exception. What was exceptionally exciting about this latest novel was the crossover with The Witch's Daughter and the appearance of Elizabeth as a main character. It makes it all the more enjoyable to know that Brackston's works all exist within the same world, and I'm hopeful that future novels in the series will allow us further peeks into the lives of Brackston's other characters.