Behold the Handmaid of the Lord

A 10-Day Personal Retreat with St. Louis de Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary

Pub Date 01 Oct 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #BeholdtheHandmaidoftheLord #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Considered by many to be the greatest book of Marian spirituality in one volume, True Devotion to Mary is St. Louis de Montfort's classic statement on the spiritual way to Jesus Christ though the Blessed Virgin Mary. In Behold the Handmaid of the Lord, Marian theologian Fr. Edward Looney masterfully summarizes the central teachings of St. Louis in a ten-day personal retreat that will bless even those who have completed the full devotion.

During the course of ten days, you’ll explore ten different titles for Mary popularized by St. Louis. Each presents a distinct aspect of her motherhood and protection while illuminating the spiritual path to Jesus through Mary.

You’ll get to know Mary and become devoted to her as:

· The Queen of All Saints

· The Queen of All Hearts

· The Mediatrix of Grace

· The Mold of God

· Our Mother and Our Queen

Each day you will reflect on Mary’s role in your life and the practical implications of that connection before wrapping up with a brief closing prayer tailored to the day’s title. You’ll come away prepared to begin or renew your consecration to Mary and with a refreshed love for the Mother of Jesus.

The book includes an appendix for step-by-step consecration to Mary.

A Note From the Publisher

Fr. Edward Looney is a Marian theologian and Catholic author and speaker who serves as a parish priest in the Diocese of Green Bay. He hosts the podcast How They Love Mary. Looney is the author of several books, including A Heart Like Mary’s. He has contributed to numerous publications, including Catholic Digest, Catholic Exchange, Aleteia, and Homiletic and Pastoral Review. He also has appeared on EWTN TV and radio, Relevant Radio, The Catholic Channel on SiriusXM, Spirit Radio, Mater Dei Radio, and Radio Maria. Looney earned a bachelor’s degree in philosophy from Conception Seminary College. He also received a bachelor’s degree in sacred theology and a master’s degree in divinity from the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary. In 2011, Looney was the youngest person to present a paper at the annual meeting of the Mariological Society of America. In 2015 he was elected to the administrative council of the organization and, in 2020, became vice president.

Advance Praise

“Fr. Edward Looney’s ten-day personal retreat, based on the Church’s classical devotions, can help us encounter Mary’s presence more deeply on our pilgrimage to heaven.”
From the foreword by Fr. Leo Patalinghug
Catholic author, speaker, multimedia host, and founder of PlatingGrace.com

“In Behold the Handmaid of the Lord, Fr. Looney is your spiritual director and companion on a journey with the Mother of God. Exploring St. Louis de Montfort’s Christian masterpiece True Devotion to Mary, Looney walks you through ten titles of Mary. Drawing upon saints, Scripture, and history, we encounter the identity and personality of Our Lady, Our Mother, and Queen.”
Fr. Joe Laramie, S.J.
National director of the Pope’s Worldwide Prayer Network

“Fr. Looney captures the heart of the Marian spirituality of St. Louis de Montfort. Looney provides a beautiful, ten-day personal retreat leading to consecration to Christ through the hands of Mary—a consecration that has nourished the spiritual lives of so many, including popes Leo XIII, St. Pius X, and St. John Paul II. For those wishing to know the spiritual power of Marian consecration, this book cannot be recommended enough.”
Robert L. Fastiggi
Coauthor of Virgin, Mother, Queen

“What lies within the mystery of Marian spirituality and devotion? Why is it beneficial to consecrate one’s life to Jesus through Mary? In Behold the Handmaid of the Lord, Fr. Looney answers these questions and guides the reader through a personal retreat with St. Louis de Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary to ultimately embrace a profound holiness that is available for all believers.”
Donna-Marie Cooper O’Boyle
Catholic author, speaker, and EWTN host

From the foreword by Fr. Leo...

EDITION Paperback

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I received an advance copy of, Behold the Handmaid of the Lord, by Fr. Edward Looney. This is an amazing devotional towards Mary. If you love Mary already, or want to get to know her better, this is the book for you.

Behold the Handmaid of the Lord: a 10-Day Personal Retreat with St. Louis de Montfort's True Devotion to Mary is a spiritually nourishing work. The author, Fr. Edward Looney, does a masterful job of explaining de Montfort's classic treatise in a down-to-earth, highly relatable manner. Fr. Looney has a lovely way of writing about the Blessed Mother, as this passage indicates: "From her we learn how to say yes to God's will, how to meditate and to treasure. Her example inspires us toward greater holiness, helping us advance from a mediocre spiritual life to one that is more attuned to God." This is the type of book you can turn to year in and year out for spiritual sustenance and renewal. It is definitely one of the finest Catholic books I have had the pleasure to read in 2021.

This book shows that Mary is a necessary part of catholic faith. I'm a Catholic and consacreted to Jesus through Mary so I love this book and how made me love more Christ and Our Lady. I learned a lot about Mary as well. I really like that every chapter has a prayer and a Hymn. Thank you Netgalley and publisher for free ARC in exchange of honest review. All thoughs are my own.