Bringing God Up to Date

And Why Christians Need to Catch Up

Pub Date 01 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2021
John Hunt Publishing Ltd, https://www.johnhuntpublishing.com/christian-alternative-books/

Talking about this book? Use #BringingGodUptoDate #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Religion is an essential part of our humanity. We all follow some form of religion, in the original meaning of the word. But organized religion establishes definitions, boundaries and hierarchies which the founders would be amazed by. This is perhaps more true of Christianity than most other religions, due to the short life of Jesus, his sudden death, the lack of any contemporary records. His teaching about the kingdom of God is great; it could see us through our time on earth. But his followers watered it down and soon lost it altogether. It became a kingdom in heaven for the few, rather than one here and now for everyone.

The Church, or Churches, that resulted became increasingly irrelevant, even a hindrance, to seeing it realized. Many will always find security and truth in the traditions that developed, and good for them. But for those who can't, for those who have given up on religion or never thought it worth considering, the original teachings are worth another look. If we could recover them and live by them, we could change ourselves and the world for the better. We could bring God up to date.

A Note From the Publisher

John Hunt has spent his life in publishing. Semi-retired, he now works as a reader and advisor in his eponymous company, in between writing, sailing and bee-keeping. He lives in Hampshire, in the south of England.

Advance Praise

John Hunt is to liberal theology what Richard Dawkins is to evolutionary biology...a readable, thoughtful and challenging work.

Christian Marketplace

Knowledgeable in theology, philosophy, science and history. Time and again it is remarkable how he brings the important issues into relation with one another... thought-provoking in almost every sentence, difficult to put down

The Unitarian

Very accessible for every man and woman who cares about their faith, I would like to see it made compulsory reading for every budding theologian before he is allowed to put pen to paper

The Presbyterian

Christian Marketplace

Knowledgeable in theology, philosophy, science and...

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Average rating from 1 member

A really interesting book, that doesn’t come across as trying too hard. The style is very conversational and it is this relaxed way of giving information out that makes it all the more impactful. There is a feeling of having a chat with a very clever person at a wedding! The book is for very one from devout believers to those who think there is something out there. It covers the history of Christianity look at words and the big ideas and looks at where they came from - there is even a bit of Shakespeare quoted to show there is something for us all! Bible verses are woven into the text and the history of religion and how we got to where we are now.