The Handbook for a Happy Cat

Pub Date 09 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 23 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #HandbookforaHappyCat #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This file is NOT currently available for Kindle. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have difficulties with downloading, please email us (at publicity@theexperimentpublishing.com) for assistance or leave a note in lieu of a review rating.

One reason cats fascinate us is that they are so unlike us: Their ears, more than eyes, show their feelings. On our laps, they are purring lovebugs; on the prowl, they are fearsome apex predators—with territorial instincts to match. This makes it hard for us humans to understand our cats as well as we love them. Thank goodness feline behaviorist Liesbeth Puts is here to help! 120 color photos throughout set this ahead of the competitionAbundant subheads steer readers to the answers they seek (“Can I convert an outside cat to inside?”)Chapters on bonding and rivalry among cats, stopping problem behaviors, surefire toys and games, when to see the vet, caring for older cats, and more!

ISBN 9781615197101

This is a great book for cat lovers. It has beautiful pictures in it. It gives thoughtful answers to common questions of cat owners.

I found this book very useful, as I recently got my cat Rocket, who is my first pet. It goes in to a lot of details about what you need to know. I actually wish I had read the book before I got her. It’s extremely helpful for anyone who has never had a cat before.

"A Handbook for a Happy Cat" is very informative with concrete suggestions presented in an engaging and friendly manner. From choosing a cat, litter box and feeding tips, signs that a cat is ill or in pain, and how to interpret your cat's behavior and body language, "The Handbook for a Happy Cat" provides important information to help your feline family thrive. Interspersed are great photos of adorable cats and what's better than that?.

A breezy and informative read for (current or future) cat owners. Lots of good, scientific advice and a good reference list. I especially liked the handy checklist at the end.

"The Handbook for a Happy Cat" is must-read for all the catlovers out there! For the past 10 years I´ve been sharing my life with my two furry roommates. I thought I was probably doing most of the things right, but I actually learned a lot - from the optimal placement of the food dish to tips to get my scaredy cat used to the vacuum cleaner. The "Happy Cat Checklist" was a great help in having the most important information in a clear overview. Thank you NetGalley, Liesbeth Puts and The Experiment for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

A very nicely presented guide to living with a cat, and how to care for them - simplistic in places, with lots of glossy photos taking up space on the page. It gives a good overview, and I really liked the checklist at the end, which summarised things nicely.

As a cat lover and caretaker, I can't speak highly enough of this book. It is a must to have on your shelf. It answers so many questions for a catowner. How to deal with a feral cat you might adopt, how to keep your cat clean, what different emotions mean for your cat. The photographs add so much to this book. If you have this one, it will be read again and again.

An excellent resource for cat owners, both old and new to the game. Clearly the author has devoted a great deal of effort to provide concise, accurate knowledge fir cat lovers. The up to date information, such as the reason for the purr, is noted. There is an abundance of decoding within these pages. Excellent gift for a new, or used cat-owner.

This is a great resource for someone who has never had a cat but wants to get one. It has lots of information but more than once the book explains something then turns around and almost contradicts itself. Example: ...cats do this when they're scared (or it could mean that they're really happy). So sometimes it seems that the book should have just said "we don't know why this happens but here's what it could be. Other than that its a fine book for newbie cat owners but veterans (and veterinarian heh) can skip this.

This is a great short book on some really important points on how to be a great cat parent. Some cat parents may already know much of what is in this book, but it's good to have the information collected all together. For new cat caregivers, this is an invaluable resource. It should be available at adoption locations! Your meowy friend deserves the best, and this book will provide the roadmap for providing such. The book does also a great job of handling what to do when introducing a new cat, or how to handle multiple cats in one house. This is something that is vital- often people have more than one cat and don't follow the proper procedure to make sure their furbabies are stress free. A great go to book!

This book is by far the most definitive and easy to use book I've read about cats and who they are as a nation and as our companions. So many of the chapters nailed my current and past cats to a tee. It was readable and easily referenced.

As a cat owner with multiple fur babies, I am constantly doing research of some type to try to fix problems within my furry household. This book really delves into issues cats have, and does a great job of doing so.

A great must-have read for Cat owners and lovers alike! This book has the perfect balance between too little and too much information. I've had cats since I was a young girl and consider myself somewhat of a kitty-whisperer and there was still some great info here that was new to me - plus important reminders on other things as well as great anecdotal extras and facts. The Photography is GORGEOUS. Like I said above a must have/read for kitty owners and lovers alike. I kept taking screen shots of certain portions and sending to my cat owner friends. Definitely a book I will be buying for myself as well as for friends - the perfect gift this holiday season for the cat lover in your life! **Thank you so much to NetGalley and The Experiment Books for an eARC copy of this book in exchange for my honest review!**

This review is for The Handbook for A Happy Cat: Speak Their Language, Decode Their Quirks, and Meet Their Needs—So They’ll Love You Back! by Liesbeth Puts. It will be published in late November by The Experiment. I received an electronic copy on NetGalley in exchange for honest feedback. Pub Date: November 9, 2021 Publisher: The Experiment Genres: Pet, Home & Lifestyle, Leisure, Animals Summary: A standout easy-reference guide to cat care and psychology—filled with irresistible photos! One reason cats fascinate us is that they are so unlike us: Their ears, more than eyes, show their feelings. On our laps, they are purring lovebugs; on the prowl, they are fearsome apex predators—with territorial instincts to match. This makes it hard for us humans to understand our cats as well as we love them. Review Right off the bat, the cover is enticing. Look at those beautiful blue eyes on that sweet baby! I love my cats, and I already think I'm in tune with their behavior. Yet, I'd love to read more about them, especially considering you never know what sort of circumstance you can find yourself in one day. The book begins with a chapter about basic elements of dealing with cats -- their personalities, behavior, basic tenants like grooming or sleeping (things cat owners are probably familiar with!). Then it moves into cats dealing with other pets and cats, cats dealing with the home (litterbox, sleeping, eating, etc. This is followed by dealing with interactions between yourself and the cat -- humans and the cat. Importantly, a dedicated section to both training and health follows these chapters. The information is straightforward. It is a great overview that would be a good foundational start for someone who is embarking on taking on their first pet. Perhaps it isn't necessarily news to the seasoned cat owner that cats vary in personality type or how to get them to use the litterbox. But if you come across a problem, it's probably in the book or online either way. One side benefit from this book is the layout and high quality photos. They're very cute, but they also can be informative when necessary, such as when depicting cat behaviors such as "angry hissing" or tail swooshes. If you want to have a browse, you won't be disappointed if you're a cat lover. Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49150917-the-handbook-for-a-happy-cat

anyone that loves cats can benefit from a book with a way to understand your feline better. I learned a few new tricks to keep my cats happy. There's is a bit about training, yes, you can train a cat! I enjoyed learning and acknowledging behaviors I see in my pets.

Princess Fuzzypants here: I am happy to report that I have trained my humans well. Except for the occasional mistake ( they are only human!) I am treated the way I should be. Good staff are essential for a happy cat and just in case there are humans who do not have the stellar remedial training that I offer, this book is a handy little tome to tell them what we want and what we need. I was quite surprised that even an old pro,(a very old pro) like my Momma picked up some hints. I could tell when she made that little noise of comprehension. I am glad to report, however, that the book does allow us some secrets still. We would never want the humans to have all the answers. Where would the mystery be? Where would the fun be/. *Wicked laugh* It is well presented and clearly written and full of facts and information. However, I might suggest that any felines who wish to keep their humans in “the dark”, you may wish to skim the book before allowing your human to read it. One should always err on the side of caution. However, I still will give it five purrs and two paws up.

This is a great book for cat lovers. It is beautifully illustrated and provides information about common cat behaviors as well as practical advice about how to deal with behaviors that may be less than desirable. In my opinion, as someone who has lived with multiple cats for decades, the author covered just about all of the issues that may arise during a human-cat relationship. She was very thorough. The book is intelligently written while remaining very readable and entertaining. The author also includes references to scientific studies about cat behavior to back up her discussion and suggestions. I would recommend this book to anyone who already has a cat and to those who are considering bringing a cat into their household. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Written by a cat behaviorist, this book gives solid advice in short chapters that will be helpful for cat owners.