Makeda: The Queen of Sheba

Pub Date 06 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WeNeedDiverseBooks #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A beautiful Ethiopian princess must use courage, strength, and leadership to conquer a dangerous enemy set on destroying the wealthy Kingdom of Sheba.

Princess Makeda was born into a loving royal family but when her father, King Agabos, unexpectedly dies, the lives of Makeda and her mother, Queen Ismenie, are turned upside-down. Grief-stricken, yet angry for vengeance, Makeda must use her intelligence and resiliency to navigate a toxic, male-dominated hierarchy. With the odds stacked against her and her back against the wall, Makeda embarks on the deadliest mission of her life to restore honor and safety to the Kingdom of Sheba.

This African Fantasy Epic is beautifully written and illustrated for both grade school children as well as fans of afrocentric anime, comics, and graphic novels. If you like historical fiction with a powerful black female hero, then you will love this ancient tale of courage and redemption. Buy Makeda the Queen of Sheba today to experience her incredible journey from young princess to legendary African queen.

Princess Makeda was born into a loving royal...

A Note From the Publisher

Conscious Culture Publishing, a black owned book publisher known for creating unique afrocentric narratives, will release a new picture book based on one of the world’s most mysterious African female leaders, The Queen of Sheba. Famously mentioned in the Bible, she traveled to Jerusalem to experience the wisdom of King Solomon, however this theme focuses on her challenging journey from princess to Queen. Illustrated using state-of-the-art animation software, author Marlon McKenney was inspired by the desire for his daughter to have strong skills in leadership. CCP’s fourth picture book, MAKEDA: The Queen of Sheba, is about the struggle of a princess working to lead the kingdom after her father tragically dies. The story highlights her strength and courage as Princess Makeda navigates a toxic male-dominated hierarchy to avenge her father’s death. From child, to princess, to queen, Makeda’s journey is filled with lessons of resilience and redemption. Compiling research from history, scripture, and Ethiopian legend, Marlon’s vision focuses on core principles of leadership that Makeda follows to achieve success.

Advance Praise

"McKenney is a brilliant illustrator, thought-provoking writer, empowering girls to be fierceness leaders trusting in their beliefs by sharing Laws of Leadership for all children. Beautifully written and illustrated by an African-American for kids throughout the world."

- New York Times Bestselling Author, Mary "Honey B" Morrison

"This book is for the young girls who are aspiring to lead this nation in the areas of science, technology, engineering, government, entrepreneurship and more. This rarely told narrative of an African princess is what young black children need today."

- Dawn Michelle Hardy: Award Winning Literary Agent

Marketing Plan

Crowd Fund:

Crowd Fund:

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Makeda: Queen of Sheba is based on the historical and religious figure of the same name. It follows Makeda from her childhood to her becoming the great queen of Sheba. The graphic novel is highly enjoyable and portrays the vast beauties of Sheba so wonderfully. The art style is unique and as many reviewers already mentioned, it makes you feel as if you're in an animated movie ot a video game. The language is simple and this would make an amazing bed time story for young children who need a hero in their life who is as brave, strong and wonderful as Makeda. Makeda teaches children to not give up, to take responsibility for their actions and be a just and incredible leader. 5/5 stars, will recommend to everyone I meet.

This is a beautiful book with unique 3D illustration. I loved seeing an awesome African princess showing strength in a fairytale setting. The story surrounds Makeda becoming the queen of Sheba in a fairytale-like setting. The story also depicts the responsibilities that come with the status. Makeda is a strong but human character who shows strength, resiliency, and responsibility to her home. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read about an amazing character and wants to see incredible visuals!

NetGalley ARC Educator 550974 Absolutely fantastic and amazing. The art jumps out at you from the pages and the storyline plucks at all of the top 10 emotions. There is much mystery surrounding the Queen of Sheba, great lover of King Solomon. This take explores her backstory. It is a must have for households everywhere and religious teaching institutions.

I absolutely loved the way author Marlon McKenney has presented the story of Queen Sheba in a beautiful way. Through the mastery of his writing style, narration and illustration, the author has made the character alive. I am happy and hopeful that this particular work will incourage young people especially girls to raise their voice against every kinds of injustice. I sincerely believe this work will encourage the African-american youths to be proud of their culture and explore the beauty and richness of African culture and tradition. Thank you for writing this brilliant story. I am looking forward to read more from the author. . . Full 5 stars for the writing and illustration. I highly recommend this graphic novel. .

This was amazing I loved it the Art, the characters and the plot. The art was phenomenal and so good. This based off the actually legends of the king, queen and princess of Sheba. I highly recommend this to everyone and I will be getting a physical copy when its published.

I was provided a free copy of this from @netgalley in exchange for my honest review. I spent three years in Ethiopia while in high school, so I was excited to see this one available! This was a fun read. It was a mixture of real historical figures and Ethiopian legend. It is a great story about a strong girl who learns how to become a warrior and a Queen! I loved the lesson that even though her first idea to defeat the beast didn't succeed, she didn't give up and ultimately (spoiler! 😉) was able to conquer the beast! The illustrations are gorgeous! This was a fun book! It is scheduled to be published 6 September, so put it on your list of books to get soon! #WeNeedDiverseBooks #NetGalley

This is an amazing graphic novel of a black princess coming into being a queen. How this is achieved is by following the 9 laws of leadership. A powerful message to guide young ones that they can see themselves in a book and that they are someone of importance as well.

This was an exciting story for young readers all about how Makeda becomes the Queen of Sheba. It is a simple read for children and I liked that the author included a little note about the fact vs. fiction of the Queen of Sheba. I can see this book being a starting point for young historians wanting to learn more about important historical figures. I did not give this book a perfect 5/5 rating because I found the computer rendered art a little bit strange. I received a free copy from NetGalley and I am voluntarily leaving an honest review.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. A beautiful inspiring and inventive tale of the young future queen of Sheba. The story is about how the Ethiopian king Agabos at his deathbed after fighting a menacing enemy to his city, decided to appoint his strong and brave daughter, the princess Makeda, to succeed him and how the young Makeda with her courage fought and could slay the monster that killed her father and was terrorising her people to become the great queen of Sheba that we know. The story is well written with 3D illustrations which is a first for me to read a book with this kind of art and I have to say that it was so well done that I really enjoyed it. A great story about family, respect, love, courage and so many other things that could inspire many readers and a beautiful way to learn more about the African history through fiction.

I love love love this!!! Wow what a beautiful story. The illustrations were just on point. Everything about it, glorious. The colors, the beauty, the bravery, so wonderful. Totally enjoyed it and I've recommended to my fellow book lovers. I wouldn't mind owning this in paperback at all. Where do I sign up for that?!! Brown skin girls doing the best, love to see it!! Would love to see General Amari disgraced though, he needs it.