Radical Product Thinking

The New Mindset for Innovating Smarter

Pub Date 28 Sep 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #RadicalProductThinking #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Iteration rules product development, but it isn’t enough to produce dramatic results. This book champions Radical Product Thinking, a systematic methodology for building visionary, game-changing products.

In the last decade, we’ve learned to harness the power of iteration to innovate faster—we’ve invested in a fast car, but our ability to set a clear destination and navigate to it hasn't kept up.

When we iterate without a clear vision or strategy, our products become bloated, fragmented, and driven by irrelevant metrics. They catch “product diseases” that often kill innovation.

Radical Product Thinking (RPT) gives organizations a repeatable model for building world-changing products. The key? Being vision-driven instead of iteration-led. R. Dutt guides readers through the five elements of the methodology (vision, strategy, prioritization, execution and measurement, and culture) to develop a clear process for translating vision into reality, and turning RPT skills into muscle memory.

This book offers refreshing solutions to the shortcomings of our current model for product development; be prepared to toss out everything you know about a good vision and learn how to measure progress to create revolutionary products. The best part? You don’t have to be a natural-born visionary to produce extraordinary results.

Advance Praise

“Anyone making a product—from business leader to entrepreneurs to policymakers—will find this book a useful guide.”

—Ravi Menon, Managing Director, Monetary Authority of Singapore

“If you are using Agile-like methodologies to harness the power of iterations and incremental development, you need Radical Product Thinking to stay mission-driver.”

—Giorgos Zacharia, President, Kayak

“Dutt’s powerful methodology offers a step-by-step approach for building successful products that doubles as a guide to infusing meaning in everyday work and packing purpose into every organization.”

—Daniel H. Pink, author of Drive

—Ravi Menon, Managing Director, Monetary Authority of Singapore

“If you are using...

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I got a digital galley of this book via @Netgalley. I really loved the book. Here are some of the things that I loved about the book: - The book addresses an issue that is close to my heart and of importance to all of us as a society. The author prescribes a process of developing products that is both good for the people developing the product and for the users of the product. - The author also gives easy to use ways or steps to follow in order to be able to create products and strategy that works for all. - The concept of digital pollution proposed in the book has come of age and needs a public discourse around it. - The stories that the author refers to make her case are fresh and not some stories that have been rehashed multiple times in multiple books. I specially liked the stories of Lijjat pappad and the Monetary Authority of Singapore. What could have been done differently: - The only thing that I would've liked even more was to have more stories or cases. The cases are sufficient to make the point that the author wants to make. However, I would have really enjoyed a few more interesting cases. If you are a product manager or a startup founder, working on building your own product, this is a must read book.

Rest book on strategic product creation. There are plenty of information on how to work on a product from strategic perspective, make sure you cover needs with an outlook in the future. This book covers the basics and beyond. My favourite chapter (definitely with reading!) is about illnesses that any company can face regardless it's stage (startup or a well developed business) when working on product. I have found plenty of useful tips on corporate culture and spirit building, vision and goals setting from a fresh perspective.