Business Minded

A Guide to Setting Up Your Mind, Body and Business for Success

Pub Date 28 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 31 Dec 2021
DK, Alpha

Talking about this book? Use #BusinessMinded #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Carly's goal for you: become a happy, healthy, successful, business-minded boss.

Part self-help wisdom, part business school teaching, and part interactive workbook pages, plus real-life advice from 18 amazing, thriving entrepreneurs: this book is everything you need to know to turn your creative passion into a successful company.

With clarity and approachability, this complete guide will teach you how to monetize your creativity with a sustainable operation: ideation and business plans, branding, bookkeeping, accounting, marketing, management, social media, and more.

Maybe you want to become a social media influencer like Carly. Maybe you want to sell cake pops on the side. Maybe you want to design beautiful branding for small business owners, or maybe you want to run a coffee cart on campus! Whatever your idea, the same responsible business principles apply. With dedicated space for you to write down your own ideas, Carly will walk you through the process, step-by-step.

Through it all, Carly will remind you of your true goal: you started your business to make you happy. That's not a bad thing! You can't field calls, answer emails, manage your accounts, and so on, if you're not taking care of yourself first. With firsthand wisdom, she'll encourage you to live a happy entrepreneur's lifestyle because YOU are your business's greatest asset.

With insight from some of the best women in the entrepreneurial game, this book will become your most-trusted resource. Thank you to the owners of these amazing small businesses: Chappy Wrap, chloédigital, Sarah Flint, Sarah O. Jewelry, Lycette Designs, Margaux, Oui Create, Grace Rose Farm, Dudley Stephens, Diane Hill, Sara Fitz, BFB Hair and dae Hair, Addison Bay, and The Tiny Tassel!

I've been a reader - and fan! - of Carly's blog for years, so I was very excited to read her book! It's part business instruction manual, part guide to prioritizing your health, and part workbook - all for anyone who runs, or is thinking about starting, their own business. It's split into two sections - the first focused on more business-related chapters, and the second focused on health (the "minded" section). Each chapter has advice written by Carly, plus interviews with a variety of other small business owners. It was really great, especially for someone like me who has no business school training. The only thing I wish is that there was a little more personal insight from Carly herself, but that's just because I want to learn as much about her success as I can!

Carly Riordan is a social media influencer and professional blogger that has been in the industry for over a decade. Her unique perspective and success in this more niche sector brings a really refreshing and relevant point of view to the genre of business books. Business Minded is a guided workbook for those interested in starting or strengthening their business. Not only does it empower readers, setting them up for success by providing guided questions regarding practically every aspect one should consider when starting a new business, it includes images, graphics, and worksheets that will increase productivity and comprehension as you make your way through this book. When you’d normally be reaching for a pen and paper to quickly scribble down notes as somebody is giving you tremendous advice, you simply have to follow along in the well-flowing workbook. Throughout, you also find short interviews with successful female entrepreneurs, many of whom fans of Carly’s blog will recognize, such as the powerhouse teams behind Dudley Stephens, Chappy Wrap, Margaux, and so many more. As somebody who’d been a fan of Carly’s for over five years, I think this books gives a unique look into the behind-the-scenes of her success and the hard work she puts into her business besides the picturesque content her readers see on her blog, Instagram, and Tiktok. This book truly chronicles the idea that behind many of the best and most successful businesses are people who are also prioritizing their overall wellbeing. It perfectly balances work and wellness, being broken into two parts- the first of which takes you through everything from drafting a business plan to walking you through the basics of accounting. The second part helps you to identify areas of your life where you can continue to prioritize wellness, such as through meditation, volunteering, and finding healthy mentorship relationships. I think this book will primarily be a hit with veteran fans of Carly, but also any women interested in starting a small business and women in the early stages of new businesses. This would be my go-to starting point if I, or anyone I knew, decided to start a business of sorts. While I myself don’t plan on starting a business right now, I’m in the middle of contemplating a career shift and found a lot of her advice to be incredibly relevant and helpful. The ‘Mindful’ portion of the book is relevant to anybody looking to reconfigure their work-life balance.