After the Romanovs

Russian Exiles in Paris from the Belle Époque Through Revolution and War

Pub Date 08 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 22 Mar 2022

Talking about this book? Use #AfterTheRomanovs #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From Helen Rappaport, the New York Times bestselling author of The Romanov Sisters comes After the Romanovs, the story of the Russian aristocrats, artists, and intellectuals who sought freedom and refuge in the City of Light.

Paris has always been a city of cultural excellence, fine wine and food and the latest fashions. But it has also been a place of refuge for those fleeing persecution, never more so than before and after the Russian Revolution and the fall of the Romanov dynasty. For years, Russian aristocrats had enjoyed all Belle Epoque Paris had to offer, spending lavishly when they visited. It was a place of artistic experimentation such as Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes. But the brutality of the Bolshevik takeover forced Russians of all types to flee their homeland, sometimes leaving with only the clothes on their backs.

Arriving in Paris, former princes could be seen driving taxicabs, while their wives who could sew worked for the fashion houses, their unique Russian style serving as inspiration for designers like Coco Chanel. Talented intellectuals, artists, poets, philosophers and writers struggled in exile, eking out a living at menial jobs. Some, like Bunin, Chagall and Stravinsky, encountered great success in the same Paris that welcomed Americans like Fitzgerald and Hemingway. Political activists sought to overthrow the Bolshevik regime from afar, while double agents plotted espionage and assassination from both sides. Others became trapped in a cycle of poverty and their all-consuming homesickness for Russia, the homeland they had been forced to abandon.

This is their story.

EDITION Hardcover

I love the Russian history and everything related to the Romanovs, no one does it better than Helen Rappaport and her latest book just add some more information on the after the Romanovs, like the title said... obviously! Ton of interesting facts, event, historical information and all of it very well written. If this subject interest you, than this is a book and an author that you must read!

After the Romanovs by Helen Rappaport is an excellent nonfiction that gives the reader a glimpse of the events, actions, and lives of the Russian elite, aristocrats, and royalty when they lived in and around Paris after during and after the Russian Revolution of 1917. I have read several books by Ms. Rappaport and I have enjoyed every one of them. She has always impressed me with her knowledge, research, and wonderful ability of creating an engaging and fascinating narrative out of history and present it in a way that keeps me coming back for more. This is no exception. I have always been fascinated by Russian History, especially the history of the Romanov dynasty and the Russian Revolution of 1917, so I obviously wanted to read this book. It was so interesting to see how such a vast array of men and women escape to a location that what once was a vacation destination and now was a city of exiles and escapees from Russia. Their lives dramatically changed in a lot of cases. Some seemed to blend in better than others. Some seemed to adapt better than their counterparts. Some positive endings with second chances at life, some not. Plenty of examples, and even a list and explanation of names/people are added to help the reader. To me, this was utterly fascinating. I highly recommend this for anyone interested in not just Russian history, but also WWI and WWII history as well. 5/5 stars Thank you NG and St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.

Publication date: March 8, 2022 Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own. This is a wonderful history book that reads easily -it is meticulously researched and written in a way that will appeal to all. Well, at least those Russian princes are not trying to get me to pay the processing fee for a part of their billions in the bank.....oooooh, snarky. #419 I will recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, book clubs, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books down by the Thames!