The Brain Under Siege

Solving the Mystery of Brain Disease, and How Scientists are Following the Clues to a Cure

Pub Date 26 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 02 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheBrainUnderSiege #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

1 in 6 people suffer from brain diseases like MS, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s. Now, a Harvard neurologist takes you inside the brain under attack—and illuminates the path to a cure.

Multiple Sclerosis. Parkinson’s Disease. Alzheimer’s. ALS. Chances are, you know someone with a neurologic disease. Because the brain controls so much and is integral to our identity, the diseases that affect it are uniquely devastating both to patients and families.

And because it remains the most mysterious of our vital organs, treating the brain is an ongoing puzzle.

In The Brain Under Siege, Howard Weiner likens the brain to a crime scene, showing readers how “clues” point to causes and suggest paths to a cure. He takes readers on a journey through the latest technological advances, exploring which routes of investigation have gone cold and which have led to breakthroughs. Readers couldn’t ask for a better guide: A professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School and co-director of the Ann Romney Center for Neurologic diseases, Weiner is an internationally renowned expert, who pioneered immunotherapy in MS and is currently investigating an Alzheimer’s vaccine.

Informative and engaging, this groundbreaking book tells the story behind the science—painting a picture of the discoveries, setbacks, false leads, and victories on the front lines of brain research. Weiner also offers unique insight by exploring the experiences of the brave patients and families who make cutting-edge clinical trials possible.

Both a clear-eyed assessment of where the science stands and a gripping and poignant narrative of the dramatic pursuit for a cure, The Brain Under Siege is a must-read for patients, families, and anyone interested in unraveling the mysteries  of the brain.

Multiple...

ISBN 9781953295545

We’ve all heard of diseases and how they can effect you but that’s really about it. I definitely do feel like wiener takes you in a much more larger journey and scape which is why I enjoyed uh so much. The body and the mind have always been two things that interest me most and of course what I like to read as books in non fiction mostly so this was actually perfect. So of course, 5 out of 5 stars!

Dr. Howard L. Weiner presents what is important to all of us focusing on the diseases of the brain. It includes five areas: Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Alzheimer's disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's disease and Glioblastoma. There is a large amount of scientists that have dedicated their careers to find a cure for these diseases. However, as noted, "it takes a minimum of 20 years before it becomes a treatment for people." And throughout the process, there is the very much needed large source of funding. Dr. Weiner comments that there is so much we don't understand. He says, "The human brain is the most complex biological system that has risen on this planet," The book is set up with an overview of each area along with a glimpse of the clinical side. There are brain illustrations in each section with the affects of the disease and a glossary at the end. Overall, the book is packed with a huge amount of information on what's current. Dr. Weiner says, "People want hope." Most readers are most likely curious, as I was, because they want to know about the diseases that may affect them personally or someone they know. I felt like the clinical area was overwhelming for me. Yet, the other parts were helpful to understand what can happen inside our heads. It can be very depressing. He says, "Life is not perfect and we must learn to deal with it" which means to "appreciate life as much as possible." My thanks to Dr. Howard L. Weiner, BenBella Books and NetGallery for allowing me to read this copy with an expected release date of October 19, 2021.