Games in a Ballroom

Pub Date 03 May 2022 | Archive Date 17 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #GamesinaBallroom #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

London, 1815

As the season kicks off, Emerson proposes a bit of fun with a playful game of tag. Olivia’s friends are delighted by the idea, though Olivia is more wary. After all, the game must be played in secret and they must be discreet when tagging each other at dinners and balls and the theater. As the romance builds between Olivia and Emerson, so does the risk of being discovered. Not only are their reputations at stake, so is their safety if they are caught by Olivia’s father, who has an explosive, and at times violent, temper.

Can their love find a happily ever after before the game ends?
London, 1815

EDITION Paperback

What an enjoyable read. I loved the core group of the 5 characters with emphasis on Liv and Emerson. My only complaint is with the rather abrupt ending. I would have liked to see the father get his due and for the Lord the father was backing to get some comeuppance of some kind.

Games in a Ballroom by Jentry Flint is a wonderful, fun, and charming historical romance that had me feeling like a young adult all over again! I loved this book! It is so unique and refreshing. Olivia and Emerson are childhood friends. Both have their own constraints and obligations. Both feel pressured, cornered, and unlucky. But what Olivia doesn’t know is that Emerson is totally smitten and in love. Through the ingenious plot of creating fun, games, and secrets, Emerson works to build trust, affection, and a relationship with Olivia all under the radar of the ever-sweeping family. I truly enjoyed the banter, wit, snappy dialogue, sweet premise, and the pacing of the story. Throw in the wonderful character cast, the true chemistry, and matching of the main characters: Olivia and Emerson…and one has an excellent book. Did I say I also loved the uplifting and heartwarming ending?! Spot on. I look forward to more from this author. 5/5 stars Thank you NG and Shadow Mountain Publishing for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately (as of 9/25/21 no BB listing has been created and review will be posted and links updated when title is added) and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.

This was my first read from the author, and for (I think?) her first historical romance... she did a pretty good job! I'm not too big when it comes to the friends to lovers relationship - since it is never really done well - but this one I didn't seem to dislike it. I actually enjoyed it. It was sweet watching him attempt to woo her in 'games' than in a normal attempt of courting. I also felt bad for the main character, because her father is an abusive male and she and her mother are left to his devices. I also liked the friends of our hero? I felt that if the author wanted to write more stories that featured them she could. She did build them up to have relationships - one of which was his sister with the gruff and moody friend that did nothing but read. The reason I did not rate it a full star is because I felt that it was a little odd that this game was even played to begin with? I mean, he said that the normal way of courting her wasn't working. However, I felt that I didn't see him actually attempt to court her. If he would have been honest about his feelings and actually let her know he loved her then I don't think this game would have even took place. If you're looking for a sweet/cute historical romance, I'd recommend this book.

A fun and quick read, with characters to root for and villains to despise! Just reading the description alone had me excited to dive in. I was so very curious to see how this small group of ladies and gentlemen from the ton would go about playing tag of all things during society events! I have to give points on originality, I’ve read so many historical romance books set in the regency era and I’ve never come across adults playing tag! It was fun and investing. For a romantic male lead to use such a game as a chance to court the lady he loves. I thought that was interesting but as you begin to read more and learn about who these characters are… well then I found it brilliant! I quickly became enamored with the characters introduced in this story. From Emerson and his sister Arabella to Emerson’s friends Lord Bradbury and Lord Northcott and oh how my heart ached for Olivia Wilde and her circumstances! I think that’s what’s important in books like these, to have characters that grip your attention and heart so that they don’t blend in with all the other stories out there. I think my only complaint about this book was that it left me wanting more, like an epilogue, a few more details after all the high drama towards the end of the book would have been so appreciated. It felt a tad bit abrupt as is. My hope is that the reason I didn’t get an epilogue was because there will be more details with a future book set in this universe. One focusing on Arabella and Lord Northcott perhaps? Or one of the anti marriage- Lord of charm, Bradbury? Basically I want more of this universe and i definitely want more games (played discreetly) in the balls and events of the ever prim and proper ton. I cannot wait to get my hands on a physical copy of this book!

Over the course of his life, Olivia Wilde's dad worked hard and became very rich, and the only thing he lacks is a title. Olivia is in her second Season, and he expects her to marry. Emerson has been friends with Olivia since childhood, and he loves her vivacious spirit. He hopes to marry her, but is saddened when her vivacious spirit is snuffed out by her overbearing (and aggressive) father. Emerson decides to start a game of "tag" that their group of friends can play at balls as a way to interact with Olivia and to coax some spirit back into her. When I first read the summary, I was skeptical that it was going to be anything other than majorly cheesy and awkward. While I still think that Emerson simply talking to Olivia about his feelings would have been the most reasonable course of action, Flint somehow made the game of tag work. While still a little cheesy, it was whimsical and romantic, and she did an admirable job of providing Emerson's reasoning for why he felt the game was necessary. Olivia and Emerson are fabulous characters, and I loved Emerson as a romantic lead. I would not hesitate to recommend this to reader who enjoy a clean period romance. It was a light and fun read that I looked forward to picking up each evening. I received a free, advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion and review.

This is my first experience with a novel written by Jentry Flint. I enjoyed the story ands found it to be an easy and intriguing read. I look forward to reading more of her novels. Olivia Wilde knows she must obey her sometimes violent father's wishes and marry whom he chooses. She must protect her mother. When childhood friend Emerson Latham encourages the group of friends play some games, like tag, secretly during society events, Olivia knows she should avoid playing. If her father were to discover the games, she and her mother would be in trouble. But she decides a little bit of freedom and fun may be just what she needs before she is committed to her fate. What she didn't plan on, is falling in love with Emerson.

Not my favorite, but not my least favorite. The romance was so one-sided for most of the book that it threw me off when Liv began to reciprocate. Also, reading elaborate descriptions of pranks is never actually very fun (certainly not as fun as watching or participating!), and I found that the whole pranking thing to be more of a distraction than anything.

'Games in a Ballroom' is mostly a cozy, entertaining read, but this is unfortunately one of those books where the supporting cast is much more interesting than the two main characters. Emerson is infatuated with Olivia from the very beginning but I don't think the book does a good job of explaining why, when or how. Maybe flashbacks to their earlier friendship would've helped with this while also developing Emerson and Olivia more. Emerson's also too controlling for my liking (this is probably supposed to be seen as romantic and persistent), which is odd if he's supposed to be a foil to Olivia's domineering father.

Games in a Ballroom is certainly an interesting and original idea for a historical novel. I was very intrigued when I first saw the book's description and was excited to read it. Now, having read it, it reminds me of a movie I saw a preview for about a group of friends that play tag as adults, so not sure if this in the inspiration for the novel or not, but it seemed very similar. Oftentimes, historical novels describe how restricting and judgmental society could be, so livening things up with a secret game amongst friends sounds like a good idea. The game is suggested because Emerson wants to court Liv, but I don't see how the game really helped him with his pursuit of her heart. Certainly, the game helped bring a little bit of the "old Liv" back, who she was before her father tried to form her into the perfect daughter worthy to marry a titled Lord. But again, I don't know how her risking her father's ire to play a game helped her develop or recognize feelings for Emerson. Despite the odds of them finding a happily ever after together, you were rooting for them to succeed and find love. As far as the characters go, both the main and side characters were all interesting and I enjoyed reading about them and their addition to the story. They are each unique and seemingly burdened in their own way and I can tell they have a story to tell and had just hoped to learn a little bit more about them. I certainly hope they get their own books and space to tell their stories. There was a little bit of immaturity involved with the games and pranks that felt a little bit too forced for the characters, time period and society. The end of the novel tied up rather nicely but quickly, compared to the danger they were risking throughout the whole story. I think I would've enjoyed a little epilogue or follow up. Overall, this book was a fun idea and uniquely original and I would recommend this book.

Olivia Wilde's father made a fortune in shipping and investments. He now insists that Olivia, who is in her second season, marry only someone with a title. This will ensure that his doors and business will be open to the upper crust. Emerson doesn't have a title and is the older brother of Olivia's best friend. He declares to his two friends that he plans to woo and wed Olivia. (An unusual move in a historical romance.) When he realizes she takes his asking her to dance as pity and not courting, he decides to create a game to be played during balls. I enjoyed the core group of the MCs, his friends and sister. But playing the game of tag in person is more fun than reading about it in a book. He could have spoken to Olivia about his intentions to court her but the main obstacle isn't addressed which is her father. I thought there might have been efforts to befriend or prove Emerson's worth to the father. Instead we get silly hijinks involving a pig which didn't increase my opinion of Emerson. (I understand the purpose from the book, but still.) In other stories like this, the father usually comes round to the idea of the daughters love is most important, but that isn't the direction the author takes. So I didn't love how things work out with her father. I'm guessing the author is setting up his two friends or his sister as future books. I would read their stories. This is clean for language and contains a few kisses. This book would be fans of proper romances YA and up. Thank you NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for an ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you to Shadow Mountain Publishing and NetGalley for the review copy. GAMES IN A BALLROOM follows Emerson Latham’s attempt to woo his sister’s best friend—a friend convinced that he cares for her out of brotherly duty and whose father is aggressively determined that she marry a titled gentleman. Olivia Wilde knows two things: Emerson is off-limits to her and this is to be her last Season because her father is determined that she marry. When Emerson suggests a game of tag to play in secret at Society events, she decides to risk her father’s wrath and join in the fun. What’s merely a game of fun for their friends is of the highest of stakes for Emerson and Olivia. This was a very quick read with a premise that I have not encountered in a historical romance, though I hesitate to label it as such as it sits outside the mold of what is typically expected from the genre. The introduction of childhood games into the ballroom snagged my interest but I felt that the writing could have benefitted with deeper characterization. Emerson’s tendency to make a game of everything could have benefitted from a counterbalance of more vulnerability, and it would have been nice to perhaps see some of the history between them that caused him to fall in love with Olivia before she was of marriageable age. I also occasionally found myself pulled out of the story by the use of contemporary language and some of the wilder elements of the story. Overall, this is an entertaining and refreshing take on the regency era that is best read with a healthy suspension of disbelief. Just the idea of people in full dress attire darting through the crowd to surreptitiously tag a co-conspirator has me chuckling. Compared to other historical romances, this one is squeaky clean but does include heavy themes of parental abuse.

Thank you to Jentry Flint and NetGalley for providing me with this free advance copy in exchange for an honest review. After Olivia fails to notice Emerson’s attempt to court her and to avoid her father’s unsuitability concerns, Emerson proposes a game of tag to be played. While the premise sounded good, the characters were a bit underdeveloped and the plot a little far fetched (even for a Victorian romance).

Fun Regency romp by a promising new author. I wasn't sure what to expect with this one but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Tag in the ballroom! Who would have thought. What a clever idea. The H&h had a real connection, having been friends for a time and that always makes for a good story. Emerson's friends were excellent supporting characters and I really hope the Brooding Baron gets a story. I would have liked to see the ending a bit more tied up but it wasn't a bad ending by any means. Overall I give this a solid 4 stars for clean Regency readers.

A book that I really enjoyed right from the start. There was no long back story as the leading couple are childhood friends and neighbors. The book is a slice of life where Emerson is in love with Liv and how he goes about courting her with humor and a wonderful game of tag. His friends are well written and I hope they get a book of their own as they are supportive and loyal. The writing is in keeping with the time and I never felt it was too modern but the description never gets too bogged down in detail. The books is also a tale of 2 families, one that has love and the other abuse. I would have liked an Epilogue as to what happens are things are tied up.

Emerson Latham faces unusually dire odds for a romance hero, denied the allure of a reformed rake and the angst of a tragic past (though his two best friends do look promising in both respects as potential leads for future novels). He is... a Nice Guy. I confess, I love books built on strong friendships... but being Friend Zoned is hardly what Emerson hoped for all those times when he asked Olivia to dance with him. Fortunately for him, Olivia and Arabella (her best friend, and Emerson's sister) agree to join a secret game of tag that the five friends play at Season balls, But "the course of true love never ran smooth" to quote Shakespeare, Arabella's favorite author. Olivia's father is determined to see his daughter marry into the aristocracy. Emerson's rival is Lord Voldemort--sorry, sorry! Lord Valencourt, a villain hiding dark secrets, but the most chilling aspect of the novel is the specter of domestic violence. I was hooked and speed reading by the final chapters, caught up in the suspense. Three plus stars, rounded up for a first book: I look forward to finding out what happens next. Thank you to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for the opportunity to review an advance copy of Games in a Ballroom.

A quick, light-hearted book. The idea of using children’s games as a plot device really appealed to me, but the execution fell a little short. The characters were a little flat, all depending on one character trait over and over (Arabella loves Shakespeare, Northcott barely speaks, etc.). There was no explanation about why the main pair loved each other, which is important in a romance. A fun concept, but it just didn’t pan out as I would have liked.

I really LOVED this book. I am a fan of the friends-to-lovers trope, and this book did it so successfully. I loved watching the characters realize the feelings they had for each other. The overall premise of the book - the tag game during balls - was a little silly. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that these young men and women probably had to find ways to entertain themselves just as we do today. So I accepted that their behavior was a bit out of character for the standards of the time period. The author seemed to set up some stories for the minor characters that could be future novels, so I hope to spend some time with these delightful characters again soon! I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves some playful fun with their clean historical romances. Thank you to NetGalley, Shadow Mountain Publishing, and Jentry Flint for the opportunity to read this novel in exchange for my honest opinions!

Rating: 3.8 / 5 **Received free ARC from Netgalley for honest review** For all intents and purposes, this is a charming Regency romantic comedy, with definite influences of being a Jane Austen fan--as all writers who tackle the Regency era are, I guess. It centres around Emerson Latham and Olivia Wilde, childhood friends who make up two thirds of the trio that also includes Arabella Latham, Emerson's sister. See, Emerson's got a problem: he's head over heels in love with Olivia (whom he called Liv as in "live wild"), but she doesn't know it yet. Not only does Olivia still see him as just Arabella's brother at the beginning of the story, but Emerson also doesn't have the title that qualifies him as a suitor in the eyes of Olivia's father, a self-made (but rich) man, Joshua Wilde. With a lot of the plot taking place in ballrooms as Olivia's father desperately tries to secure her a match with a title, Emerson decides to press his suit in an unconventional way when the usual conventions fail to get through Olivia's dense exterior. Namely, he proposes a game of tag. No, seriously. At first, even to the reader, it's confusing just what this game is intended to do since...tag = courting seems like a kindergarten tactic, right? And...yeah, it kind of is, honestly, and no amount of posh-sounding description changes that. But it's...cute, and kind of entertaining to see Emerson get more and more frustrated with making things work whereas Olivia as no idea what she's in for via this unconventional method of courting. Add to that Arabella's obsession with Shakespeare and Emerson's two opposite friends (the cheerful gambler Bradbury and the brooding baron whose name I forget) and you've got a group of funny characters in this romance, therefore making it a historical romantic comedy. Now, usually these books are not my cup of tea, but because of the Austen-like description and, I'll admit, especially because of the cover, I decided to give it a try. And, for the most part this was a gamble that paid off, as I actually ended up mostly liking the story. ....Until the last quarter which...though not quite a trainwreck ending, was the author pushing things too far in my opinion, to the point that they get silly rather than endearing. Basically, Olivia's father is painted as a villain far out of proportion to how a person would realistically be and act, and becomes almost monstrous in a Gothic novel way that's juxtaposed with the rest of the romantic-comedy setup. Then, there's the fact that Olivia's character is compromised in the process as well and becomes just plain stupid in her decisions, which of course necessitates Emerson coming in to "rescue" her from herself. Yeah, that entire rescue bit at the end is cheesy, cliché, and not very well done. Maybe the author thought that the plot needed to be spiced up by all that action at the end because of the otherwise slow-ish paced rest of the book but... ...yeah, not a decision that I particularly liked, to be honest. Just having Olivia realize her feelings for Emerson was enough of a revelation and climax, thank you very much, and quite frankly it would have been truer to the Austen fashion that way as well. But oh well, Jentry Flint is obviously no Jane Austen, so that comparison's unfair from the get go. Still, this book was a lot better than I was expecting it to be, and I can definitely see a lot of people liking it as well. Will it ever be "great"? I doubt it. BUT, it could be a lovely addition to someone else's romance shelves out there. Give it a try.

** spoiler alert ** I really liked the characters and the interaction between Olivia and Emerson and Arabella and Northcott because they fit together. I loved the dancing and the talking. Outside the game part everything the couples did made me smile and wish for more of that then the game part. The story between Olivia and Emerson is touching, but the games that started as fun seem to derail the reason why they were started. One of the game is to make Olivia realized that Emerson loved her and the other game was to have some fun by letting a pig loose in the gentleman's club but to me both games seem not as fun as they were suppose to be. The game seem to get Olivia into more trouble with her volatile father than giving her any fun, and it never makes her realize that Emerson loves her. The other game in the story wasn't that funny to me because the mishandling of a innocent animal made me sad because they only used it for entertainment without any thought to the animal. I know in those days that people didn't care much for livestock, but maybe one person does. The story was well written and is worth reading because the story is good. I want to thank Shadow Mountain Publishing, Shadow Mountain and NetGalley for the advance copy of this story.

Regency has become one of my favorite genres in the last year or so and I’m always excited to discover a new author! So with a cover and title like this I definitely was intrigued from the get go and knew I had to check it out! And thankfully it paid off and was everything a Regency should be! I loved the fun twist of the ongoing game of tag! From the description I wasn’t sure how it would work but it did and was such a clever way to add more interactions! This was friends to more trope which I’m always here for and I enjoyed Emerson’s (which is a great name btw) attempts to woo Olivia and bring out her fun playful nature and Olivia’s slow realizing of her feelings that ran deeper than friendship. The two of them made a great pair and I loved their banter. Besides the romance my other favorite part of this book was the friendship between Emerson and his two friends! They had such a fun dynamic and were cracking me up! I absolutely hope we get their stories as well because I loved them! Basically I have absolutely no complaints about this debut and I cannot wait to read more from this author!!

I enjoyed this book by new author Jentry Flint. She created likable characters and an intriguing spin to regency ballroom romance. Add in nefarious characters and intrigue and you have a recipe for a fun story! The supporting characters almost stole the show and I'm hoping to read their stories in the future!

I really like the cover of this book but the story failed to gel finally for me. I do realise that finding a new slant on a Regency Romance - see also 'Intolerable' review. I think that even though i realise they did play parlour games, lacking other forms of entertainment in the evenings, playing 'IT' in a ballroom - well - The remainder of the storyline is pretty much standard - an over-bearing father, marriages arranged for either wealth or status, fights and so on. I begin to suspect that I can put set a of stock paragraphs together....

This is such a fun story! I’ve read a lot of regency romances, but I’ve never read any with games woven throughout the story in this way! Tag, hide and seek, and other games make appearances, and it was so much fun to see which games would be in the book and how they would play out. I really enjoyed how Emerson kept pursuing Olivia. Her difficult family life made things very constricting for her, and it was sweet to see how he tried to help her have fun and feel alive, all while trying to show her his feelings for her. Olivia was a sweet character, and I enjoyed her friendship with Arabella, Emerson’s sister. I especially loved their game of using a line from Shakespeare’s works in normal conversation. Like the title suggests, a majority of the book takes place in various ballrooms. Jentry Flint kept things fresh and interesting through the descriptions of different ball themes and through the game the characters played while they were there. I really enjoyed reading this book, and I’m looking forward to more books by Jentry Flint! There are a few side characters in particular that I’m hoping will get their own stories in the future. 4.5/5 stars! Content: Clean romance Abusive father (he is manipulative and yells a lot) I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

A compelling book of struggling to find your happiness Emerson has been trying to catch Olivia’s eye and make her aware of his interest in courting her but she sees his attentions as just her best friend’s big brother trying to be nice. Little does he know that she is interested in him. But their mutual interest is irrelevant to the reality Olivia faces. Her father is a violent man, prone to rages and not above hurting his wife. And he will only accept Olivia marrying a man with a title. Character, age, finances, holdings, nothing matters except the title, any title and Emerson does not have a title, therefore, he does not qualify. Unfortunately, Olivia’s father insists on approving her clothing and when he is satisfied Olivia stands out in the crowd because of the gaudiness of her attire, which is not helpful to his cause. Of course, her father will not hear that he is wrong. Olivia doesn’t confront him from a real and honest fear not only for herself but for her mother, who frequently is hiding bruises. But Emerson is determined to win Olivia, so he begins a game of tag to be played by himself, his two friends, Olivia, and his sister while they are attending events with dancing. Just as things seem to be moving in as Emerson desires, Olivia’s father finds a titled peer, Lord Valencourt, willing to accept Olivia, undoubtedly for a good price. Lord Valencourt appears to be just as prone to anger and violence as Olivia’s father but if Olivia doesn’t comply, what will happen to her mother? If Olivia does comply what will happen to her? What can Emerson possibly do when confronted with the situation not only effecting Olivia but her mother as well? Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the copy. This is my review and all thoughts are my own.

charming and witty! a delightful read. the writing is simple, the plot is sweet, and the characters are cute!

i had so much fun reading this book! a sweet and cozy regency romance, games in a ballroom was told in a dual POV, which I think worked really well for the story. emerson has feelings for liv from the start, but seeing her feelings develop as the game went on, through their friendship and banter was great. i really loved the rest of the characters, as well (at least the ones we're supposed to like!!!), especially arabella and northcott. there is an underlying darkness in the book that makes the stakes feel very real and high, and i think the ending payoff was really well-done. i wish we got to know mrs. wilde a bit more than we did, as a woman in an abusive marriage. i enjoyed the few moments where we get to see her small rebellions in spite of her really terrible circumstances, and i wish there were a few more of them. i can't wait for this book to come out and then get all my romance-loving friends to read it!! thank u netgalley, i am your humble servant

Follow @literaturewithalatte for more book reviews! ✨Games in a Ballroom by Jentry Flint✨ Genre: Regency Romance/YA Pages: 272 Pub Date: May 3, 2022 📚 Synopsis: London, 1815. Olivia Wilde has resigned herself to never finding a love match. Her father has insisted she marry a man with a title, if only to increase his own standing and reputation in society. But the men her father deems acceptable are, at best, boring and uninspiring, and at worse, are as brutish as her father, and are only looking to increase their own diminishing coffers. With her future looking dismal, Olivia decides to enjoy the last few months of freedom with her childhood friends, including the handsome Emerson Latham. His devilish smile and flirtatious teasing stirs up feelings she knows she cannot entertain. Emerson is struggling to rise to his responsibilities after the death of his father. Though he might still be learning what he needs to do as the head of his household, one thing he knows for sure is that he wants Olivia Wilde to be his wife. Having grown up as childhood friends with Olivia, Emerson long ago had fallen in love with her quick wit, beauty, and passionate heart. However, without a title, he will never be permitted to court Olivia openly. But he has a plan that may give him a chance to court her in secret. 📝 This was a charming and innocent regency romance with a friends to lovers trope. I’d definitely say that this is for a young adult audience (aka not Bridgerton💁🏻‍♀️). The combination of his pining for Liv, witty banter and the relationship with his mother and friends made Emerson my favorite character. A solid debut! An enjoyable read for fans of regency romances and Jane Austen. 💫Thank you Netgalley for my ARC💫

This book felt like a needed warm hug. You know those days where you feel heartbroken, lonely, and tearful and you just need a soft heartfelt novel? Games in a Ballroom is just that novel! It gives similar vibes to Emma by Jane Austen in the sense that it is a friend to lovers but with more twists and turns with lots of cute scenes between Emerson and Olivia as Emerson struggles to court Olivia. If you like the boy falls first trope, historical romance, non-toxic and friendly banter then definitely check Games in a Ballroom by Jentry Flint!

#gamesinaballroom #netgalley I loved this cute story, filled with romance and intrigue. I enjoyed it very much.

I love the premise of a group of friends playing games like tag to pass the boredom of the ballroom. While this book was a mostly lighthearted read, I was hoping for more humor or action based on the silliness of childhood games. I was more interested in the supporting friends (and would definitely like to read their books) than in the main characters of Olivia Wilde (yep, that's her name, just like the actress) and Emerson Latham. Olivia and Emerson were very vanilla, quite boring. I love friends to lovers, but there was no chemistry between these two. Olivia and Emerson barely had any scenes together. I felt more chemistry between Emerson's sister and his friend. There were nearly two chapters devoted to Emerson and his friend stealing a pig, dressing it up, and letting it loose in their gentlemen's club. Not much came of that, and as funny as it could have been, it had no laugh out loud moments. There really wasn't much plot. It was very slow, and then a lot was thrown in at the end. No epilogue, and it just kind of ends. There's a HEA for the main couple, but we don't see much in the future. Very clean romance. Only two very short, non-passionate kisses, the first kiss not until after the 80% mark. 2.5 stars rounded up because I really did enjoy the supporting characters and I think this author has promise. Possible trigger warning: domestic abuse off page Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced review copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own and freely given.

Jentry Flint's "Games in a Ballroom" is a sweet Regency romance featuring appealing characters who have a whimsical sense of humor. Emerson Latham, with help from his friends and sister Arabella, resolves to court the unsuspecting Olivia Wilde by playing tag in a ballroom, of all places. This original premise is entertaining as they attempt to dodge other ball attendees, especially Olivia's father. While stories about those in trade (gasp!) tenaciously attempting to climb the social ladder are not uncommon, Olivia's father Joshua is in a class by himself. He is crass and repulsive, his long-suffering wife is intimidated, and his daughter is resigned. The reader wonders how Emerson and Olivia will overcome the giant obstacle that is Joshua Wilde. Another game comes to the rescue, thanks to fun-loving Emerson and his friends. The story is peppered with Shakespeare quotes uttered by Emerson's sister, and the Bard plays a unique role at the end. This mostly lighthearted and playful novel does have some serious moments. Flint's prose is lovely and her characters are charming (with two notable exceptions). That being said, the players could have been more fully developed. This is a short novel, though, and back stories are frequently lacking. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Several secondary characters deserve their own tales, and I hope they get them. I look forward to more offerings from this author. Thanks to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for an ARC of this engaging novel.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher of this book for the eARC. A beautiful and light-hearted romance, perfect for any period piece lover. I very much enjoyed the writing in this book and am obsessed with the trio of gentlemen in this book. Emerson's friendship with Bradbury and Northcott is well-achieved and of course Bradbury manages to steal the spotlight whenever possible. Be sure to pick this up if you're in the mood for a light period romance with a dash of drama.

A fun, easy read that meandered a little bit plotwise, but was filled to the brim with great characters and entertainment. I thought this was just going to be about Emerson trying to court Liv, but it ended up being more a story of friendship and had more action than I expected. Games in a Ballroom had PILES of characters, and Flint managed to make each one of them unique and engaging (even the one that didn't engage- looking at you, Northcutt). I love seeing a friend group that's men and women in historical fiction because the dynamic is always changing and so interesting. While I think just about none of this book would have ever happened (propriety does not let you run through a ballroom without being noticed, among other things) this was still a charming read and I was happy to suspend belief to enjoy their games. Liv was, unfortunately, the palest of the characters. We're told a lot that she's spunky and independent, but I got more of that from Arabella, her friend. I just didn't see a lot of her motivation or her real personality. I did also appreciate that the plotline that emerged of her father really pushing her to get married to a titled man that added conflict and some kind of stress to the situation. I would have liked more resolution but there was action and I liked that it all tied back to their games in the end.

Enjoyed this book so much! The writing was beautiful. I believe this is a Friends to Lover's story that was done very well! Would have liked a little more back story on Oliva and Emerson's childhood together. I would love to read a sequel on Emerson's friends and Arabella!

3.5 rounded up to 4 What drew me to this Regency romance was the cover and the synopsis that included a game. I have to say I’m not a fan of the childhood friends-to-lovers trope so immediately that part of the story wasn’t for me. My favorite part of the book was the game aspect and I’d like to have more of it. I liked the idea of a friend group in a regency novel too. The book definitely lagged a bit in the middle. I really liked the last third of it. It was very cute and I’d read another book from this author especially if it’s hate-to-love or marriage of convenience.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this novel, but it was a good surprise! The book starts off with the hero, Emerson, already head-over-heels in love with Olivia, a young lady that he's known for years as a friend of the family. Better yet, the hero even admits right off the bat that he's in love with her to his closest friends. In a lot of novels, the hero holds out FOREVER to come to terms with his feelings or the couple has to gradually get to know each other and then they fall in love. This was a unique change to a romance novel set-up one that I think worked out and it breaks up the repetition that you see in a lot of these Regency romances. I also had fun with this tight-knit group of friends. I enjoy seeing heathy male and female friendships. Now onto the games part. Playing a secret game of tag while at a ball? I started out not too sure, but then the games quickly became my favorite part of the novel. It made the ballroom scenes about 10x more exciting in my opinion. Why aren't we all playing a low-key game of tag with our friends when at a boring social event? Let's make this the norm. The only thing I could've used a bit more of was some closure at the end of the novel about what happened to Olivia's father and the baron she was being forced to marry. The action at the end was a bit abrupt. I wanted to see these evil men get their comeuppance, but it did end in a way that might leave room for those questions to be answered in a future novel. I'd definitely read more books by this author. Hopefully, she'll continue the story with some of the other characters she introduced. I'm intrigued by the other members in the couple's friend group, especially Northcott. I want to know what he's got going on underneath that somber countenance. I will *try* to wait patiently to learn more about him. TW: domestic abuse CW: clean content with only a few kisses I was provided an e-ARC of the novel from the publisher/Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This book was delightful and charming! I loved this group of friends and their banter and sense of humor. This plot was unique and was definitely a fun and romantic regency! The brotherhood of friends was entertaining and I loved that they each balanced the others out in some way! Is this a series? Are we getting more? I just want more from this group of characters! Olivia and Emerson were engaging as characters and their back and forth games offered sparks of chemistry and unpredictability to this story! I would happily read more from this author!

In this HR, Olivia Wilde is the only child of a self-made business man with anger issues and an abusive streak. Now that he’s earned a lot of money and found his way among the peerage, his primary focus is on marrying his daughter to a peer in order to elevate himself to the highest possible social standing. Emerson Latham is Olivia’s best friend’s older brother. The three of them, along with Emerson’s friends, grew up messing around and playing games together. However, when we meet him, Emerson isn’t as playful as he used to be; after having lost his father, he’s now in charge of the family’s estate and its tenants, as well as his grieving mother and unwed sister. But grief and responsibility haven’t taken Emerson’s eyes off of what he wants most: to marry Olivia. Because he doesn’t have a title, Emerson knows her father won’t let that happen to easily, so he comes up with a plan to state his intentions and spend as much time as possible with Liv: he proposes a discreet game of tag for the duration of the Season’s balls among themselves, his sister and his friends. That way, he has a legitimate reason to chase after her (I don’t hate it 😏). The premise is lovely and I really liked the writing; I guess my main problem is that not a lot happens plot-wise! For the first 60% or so, the main plot points are the game, Olivia’s certainty that Emerson doesn’t actually like her (though he makes it very clear that he does, all the time) and a bet involving a pig and a waistcoat. Things do move a little further from there, but I guess when I’m reading a slow burn I need two things: a lot (and I mean A LOT) of tension between the main characters, and for the payoff to be worth it. It needs to burn at some point! Unfortunately, I didn’t get any of those things with this book. Even the chemistry between Olivia and Emerson was lacking for me. It bums me out not to have liked this book as much as I’d hoped, but I guess it can’t work for everyone.

Games in a Ballroom is such a wild twist on the regency romances you've read before. In an attempt to win Olivia's heart, Emerson Latham creates a game that they can play during the Season's balls. He must find the perfect balance of courting the woman he loves without her overbearing father finding out. The way that Emerson cares about Olivia and desires to protect her from harm is commendable and sweet. The relationship between Emerson and his good friend, Bradbury is smile inducing and laugh producing! At one point I found my mouth gaping open and my eyes the size of dinner plates because of the hilarious circumstances they had gotten themselves into. This clean regency romances has enough elements to keep it engaging and differentiate it from others you might have read! If regency romance is your thing, Games in a Ballroom is definitely a book you're going to want to have on your list of must read books for 2022!

This was a fun, enjoyable read with lovely banter and elegant prose. The characters were fun and relatable, but I had a very hard time paying attention. There was something missing that just didn't connect with me. I'm sure it will be a hit when this story finds its reader base, but it just wasn't for me.

Games in a Ballroom was a fun regency read that you can get through in a weekend. The leading man, Emerson, is in love with his childhood friend Olivia Wilde (yes, really), and concocts a game for them and their friends to play during the season. Hijinks ensue. While I don't typically pick up a lot of friends-to-lovers romances, I enjoyed this story and the relationship that the couple already shared before it turned into something more. A few things probably wouldn't actually be acceptable during the regency era, but easily overlooked when you're only reading for the story and not the historical accuracy. All in all a fun, clean read that I'll be recommending to my regency-loving friends!

– Thanks to NetGalley / Shadow Mountain for the ARC for a review – 3.5 STARS • Regency London, 1815 • Friends to Lovers • Fun & Games • Bridgerton vibes • Slow burn • Dual POVs This is a fun debut regency novel that is similar to Bridgerton, but with a game of “Tag you’re It” that plays out throughout the book. Olivia Wilde’s father wants her to marry a “title” and Emerson, her childhood friend, is in love with her and wants to win her heart. He and his friends design a game amidst all the balls to do just that. If you like regency novels you will like this one. The group of friends is great, especially Emerson’s besties who help him with his plan. and I enjoyed the women characters Olivia & her friend Arabella. Emerson is certainly charming and you root for him the whole way through. Olivia’s father is a brute and verbally abusive and it’s hard to read, but he is the obsessively ambitious villain of the story. He is not the loving father found in other Regency novels. My biggest qualm is that I would like a tad more chemistry or banter between the MCs, and an epilogue similar to all the Bridgerton books where they are together. I found the ending came too quickly and I wanted to read one more chapter. I do love the cover art so much! Games in a Ballroom releases on May 3, 2022.

This book is pure fun and romance. I loved Emerson and Olivia. I also loved all the side characters and am hoping they get their own stories. I loved the games that were played during the courtship. Ballroom tag, lines from books, and hide and seek. So clever. I would highly recommend reading this book.

I thought this was a cute story. I liked how Emerson came up with a way to court Olivia without drawing her terrible father’s attention. I like how there were multiple pranks and games going on in order for Olivia to be herself and to see Emerson in a new light. I liked that everything worked out in the end even though it was a hard road. I thought that Jentry did a great job for a first novel and look forward to seeing what else she writes. I received a complimentary book from publishers, publicists, and or authors.  A review was not required and all opinions and ideas expressed are my own.

This was an entertaining read. The idea of a game of tag at the ball was intriguing. I feel like it could have been explained a little more in depth exactly how this would help him in his courtship, though. I enjoyed the characters and hope that they will eventually be given their own stories. The ending was a little rushed. It would have been nice to see their romance developed a little more throughout the book. Also an epilogue giving us a glimpse of their future together would have been more satisfying. It was a little slow in some parts and sometimes repetitious. But for a first book I think Jentry Flint did an amazing job. I look forward to reading more from her in the future. This was an entertaining read. The idea of a game of tag at the ball was intriguing. I feel like it could have been explained a little more in depth exactly how this would help him in his courtship, though. I enjoyed the characters and hope that they will eventually be given their own stories. The ending was a little rushed. It would have been nice to see their romance developed a little more throughout the book. Also an epilogue giving us a glimpse of their future together would have been more satisfying. It was a little slow in some parts and sometimes repetitious. But for a first book I think Jentry Flint did an amazing job. I look forward to reading more from her in the future. Three and a half stars.

Emerson is beginning to recover from his grief over the death of his father and is now ready to become a man and take a wife. He has the perfect candidate in mind: Olivia, his sister's best friend. Unfortunately, Olivia has a horrible title-grubbing father who will not allow his daughter to marry anyone who is merely a "Mister." In an effort to get Olivia to see him as more than just her friend's brother and as a way to pass the time during the never-ending Season, Emerson devises a plan involving an on-going game of Tag. The trick is, no one else beyond their group can discover their high jinx in the middle of the balls they must attend. Olivia feels her time running out once her father has found an evil Viscount who is in need of money and Emerson knows he still needs to get her to trust him. My first thought was that this DEFINITELY must have happened for real. Like really, those balls always sound dreadfully boring and a game of tag certainly would have made them far more fun. Emerson was swoony in his love for Olivia. His friends and sister (and her insane knowledge of all things Shakespeare) were great comic relief, and Olivia was a strong woman in an impossible position: follow her father's wishes and be stuck in a miserable, loveless marriage, or marry for love and risk his wrath and the fact that he will definitely take it out on her mother. This was a great story and had a good balance of humor and angst. CW for signs of domestic abuse. Thanks to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain for the eARC.

A lovely regency romance! Emerson is determined to make Olivia his bride but how can he accomplish this when her father is totally against a union of these two sweethearts. Emerson comes up with a game to convince Olivia he is her soulmate. The hero knows what he wants and it is the heroine, Olivia. You can't help but fall for these two lovebirds. You want to cheer them on throughout the book! Wonderful book to read with a cup of tea. This is the author's debut novel and she is off to a great start.

Games in the Ballroom is a clean historical romance. It is the first novel written by Jentry Flint. I am always a little unsure when reading a first book from a new author, but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the story line and the fun idea of the characters to engage in a game of tag played in ballrooms throughout the season. It added a little excitement to the typical ballroom scenes. I also really enjoyed the main characters of Emerson and Olivia. Emerson was a real sweetheart who was always doing his best to look out for his widowed mother and sister and protect Olivia from her father. Olivia was timid and reserved around her controlling family but has a fun loving spunky side when allowed to be herself. I was rooting for their love story to have a happy ending. I also really loved the side characters in this story. I hope they will get to have stories of their own. I highly recommend this book. I look forward to reading other books by this author.

This was a fun book with lovable characters! I absolutely adore this story, at first I was a little nervous but it was so good! Games in a Ballroom is Jentry Flint’s debut novel and it was excellent! The story was really interesting and I fell for the characters at the beginning. I am so glad that I took the chance on it. Olivia was just trying to humor her father. He was controlling her life, and she was tiptoeing around him. However, when Emerson suggests a game of tag to pass the time during the balls, she can’t help but risk it all for the chance to be herself. Emerson is struggling to find his place after the death of his father, but there is one thing that he knows, he has fallen for Olivia Wilde. As he tries to show her his feelings, he proposes a game of tag. They never expected the fun they would have, but there are devastating consequences if Olivia's father finds out that Emerson fancies her. Will their relationship ever grow past friends? Olivia was a bit timid when it came to her father, but she was quick and kind. I loved reading about Olivia. Although she may seem shy, she hid a quick wit about her and it was fun to read about her interacting with Emerson and his friends. She was a strong character and she had endured much from her father. I actually really liked her and I so wanted her to find her freedom and happiness after she had been stuck in her father’s cage. It was sweet to read about Olivia coming out of her shell as she played the game with Ermerson, Arabella, Emerson’s sister, and his friends. Olivia had to learn to stand up for what she believed and fight for a better future. Emerson was the sweetest. I really liked him. He was just trying his best to live up to his father’s shoes. He wanted to help his sister find a good match, care for his mother, and convince Olivia of his love. I really enjoyed reading from his perspective, he had quite a journey. He was trying to find the balance between his old jokersty self and the more serious lord he had become. He really cared for his friends and family, and I loved his interactions with his friends. Emerson will have to figure out what he is willing to risk for love? Emerson and Olivia were great characters and I loved reading their story. I wanted them to fight for their love and happiness. I did not know how it was going to have a happy ending and there were some surprises. It was a really good book! I also loved the side characters. They were awesome and I hope they get their own books. I adored Bradbury, Northcott, and Arabella. They really helped make the story. I loved Games in a Ballroom and I would definitely recommend it! I hope that there are more books to come in this series. Games in a Ballroom is a clean historical romance. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher through Netgalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion, a positive review was not required.

Games in a Ballroom by Jentry Flint, 272 pages. Shadow Mountain Publishing, 2022. $16. Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG BUYING ADVISORY: HS - ADVISABLE AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE From Emerson’s perspective, he’s been subtly courting Olivia because he doesn’t have a title -- the one requirement of Olivia’s father for her future husband. From Olivia’s perspective, Emerson has been asking her to dance out of pity for her lack of dance partners during her second season. Emerson suggests that they discreetly play tag at subsequent balls as another excuse to interact with Olivia, but Olivia can’t afford to play any games with her heart. The story of Emerson and Olivia is a fun one because you never know what is going to happen next. Emerson and his friends entertain themselves, and readers, with their constant antics that push society’s boundaries -- and there are a couple games I would love to play myself! Flint balances the seriousness of domestic violence with the joys of fighting for a happily ever after. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

Games in a Ballroom is a regency romance by Jentry Flint. It includes friends to lovers, best friend’s older brother, and forbidden love tropes. I love regency romances, but I have read so many that lately I have felt like all the plots are the same. Games in a Ballroom however was so fresh and unique! Emerson and Olivia have been friends since childhood and Emerson is determined to marry Olivia. However, Olivia’s controlling father has forbidden her from marrying any untitled gentleman, thus removing Emerson from the running. But this doesn’t stop Emerson from trying. In an effort to court Olivia without her father’s knowledge, Emerson initiates a game of tag their group of friends can play at the balls they attend. But even if Emerson secures Olivia’s affection, how will they convince her father to allow them to get married? There are so many things I love about this book! Emerson’s playful spirit, the many different games the characters play, Emerson & Olivia’s group of friends, and the pig. I sincerely hope we get to see more of this fun group and their antics! The main thing I loved about this book was the plot. I felt like it had a good pace, there was always something happening to move the story forward. From the games to the pranks to the romance I had a hard time putting this book down! I also thoroughly enjoyed the characters. Although I didn’t feel like they grew a ton, I did love that throughout the book they found happiness and their respective burdens were lightened. I found the characters easy to connect with and enjoyed their playful banter and camaraderie. Olivia & Arabella’s “Name that Shakespeare Play” game reminded me of how my sister and I quote movies together. Emerson and his two best friends reminded me of Sarah M. Eden’s Jonquil brothers with their playfulness and loyalty. Overall this was such a fun story to read! It was very entertaining, had all the elements of a clean historical romance that I love, but was unique and refreshing. If you enjoy clean regency romances, playing games, charming, determined, swoony gentleman, and loyal friends who are always up for a bit of mischief, you definitely need to check out Games in a Ballroom! I received a complimentary copy of this book, all opinions expressed are my own.

I was really excited by the title and premise of this book. Games in a Ballroom sound like great fun, and the idea of a game of tag across ballrooms was really appealing. The execution, however, fell flat for me. The characters were flat as well, seeming to be character sketches rather than fully fleshed individual. Their inner lives were sparse and repetitive. The Hero was bound by duty. The Heroine was afraid of her father. Even the setting gave me pause since the London season took place during Spring and Summer, but these balls are during cold weather months. I do think the author has potential, and I'd like to see her work grow and mature.

Thank you NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for an eARC access to Games in a Ballroom by Jentry Flint. In 1815 London, Emerson Latham must usher his family through the loss of his father. But while assisting his sister through her first year of balls and courting, he can't seem to keep his eyes off of his sister's best friend Olivia Wilde. But unfortunately, Olivia Wilde is being instructed by her aggressive, and albeit violent father, to land a man with a title. Something Emerson doesn't have. To encourage more time with Olivia, Emerson proposes a friendly game of tag, to get more time with Olivia and convince her, while without a title, he can provide her a life worth living. She just needs to forget about her father. Rating: 3/5 - This was a sweet, regency romance. It was a clean romance, where you can't help but love Emerson for his commitment to his love for Olivia, no matter what rationale others told him, which is super swoon worthy. I wanted to like this book more than I did, but I just couldn't keep my attention focused on it - But I think for fans of clean romances and regency time, it would be a better fit for them!

Olivia Wilde’s father is set on her marrying a man with a title to raise their standing in society. But his choices of men leave Olivia dreading the future ahead of her. Emerson Latham is trying to settle into his new role after the passing of his father and it has not been easy. Add to that having to watch the woman he loves be paraded around by her father, looking for a titled man, and the season looks very bleak. Emerson believes they both deserve some fun, so with the help of their childhood friends they set up a game of tag to carry them from one ballroom to another. And just maybe Emerson can convince Olivia of his feelings for her and they can figure out a way to be together. This was a charming book. The pacing was a little slower than I expected, but I didn’t mind it in the end. I always enjoyed reading it when I picked it up. The whole cast of characters was delightful. (I very much hope some secondary characters get their own books in the future.) The concept of a subtle game of tag during a ball was great and I loved how every character embraced the game. It made for some fun banter and sweet moments for Olivia and Emerson. Which was nice since there were also some heavier situations being dealt with outside the ballroom. But the balance of serious and playful was good. The romance was clean and slow burn and has a very satisfying HEA. If you like a charming friends-to-lovers historical romance featuring a good amount of ballroom antics then you’ll enjoy this book.

I loved the premise of this book and reading it did not disappoint! The games were fun, the characters were great and it was just a sweet romance all around!

Mr. Emerson Latham is in love with his childhood friend, Olivia Wilde and has decided that he’s going to marry her. However, there are two obstacles to his plan. The first is Olivia and getting her to realize he loves her. The second, and even bigger obstacle, is her father. Mr. Wilde has made his fortune through trade and now covets a title. Olivia is the key to him getting his wish by marrying an indebted earl, no matter their love for her or their character. Emerson’s always been known to play games and accept crazy challenges, so it’s not surprising when he proposes playing Tag at ballroom events. What Olivia doesn’t know is this is how Emerson plans on courting her! Playing along and orchestrating time to be alone with Olivia are his two best friends, Lord Northcott and Mr. Bradbury. These two men proved to be the best kind of friends you could ever want. Emerson is just the man that Olivia needs in her life. Breaking free from her domineering and brutish father will take great courage and determination. Emerson truly knows who Olivia is under her gaudy, costly garments and challenges her to live up to her name, Liv Wilde. With that kind of love and support, Olivia realizes she can be bold and live a life of happiness and freedom. Other games are played and become key in carrying out Emerson’s plan as circumstances for Olivia (Liv) and her mother become dangerous. Hide and Seek was my favorite part of the story as Mr. Wilde is unknowingly a participant. I have never seen games be a part of a story before and thought it was ingenious! I hope there is a sequel for Emerson’s friends and bluestocking sister. TW: violent, abusive father and husband Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher, Shadow Mountain, for a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Games in a ballroom by Jentry Flint is a classic Regency love story with a playful twist. Fearing that her social-climbing father would never consent to a marriage between himself and Olivia, Emerson, with the help of his friends and sister, sets out to discreetly court her by playing games in a ballroom. Flint cleverly weaves her games theme throughout her novel; she takes it beyond the ballroom and into London society at large and caps it off with the ultimate game of hide and seek. The story is almost evenly split between the hero and heroine’s point of view allowing the author to develop both characters equally in depth and the reader to enjoy their burgeoning romance twice over. The supporting cast of game players are also interesting in their own right and, I hope, will each be further developed in their own novel in the future. Games in a ballroom is a quick and charming read that will please fans of Regency roma

♡Tag x Regency♡ Synopsis: Emerson Latham, sobered by responsibility he has inherited through his fathers passing, is ready to settle down, and he has just the lady in mind for the job. He holds a tendre for his childhood friend & sister's best friend, Miss Wilde. There are two impediments to that goal: 1.He is deep in the trenches of the Friendzone and oblivious Olivia can't seem to pick up any flirting cues (which, girl same.) 2.If he manages to overcome the above, then he still must contend with Mr Wilde's decree that his daughter will only be wed to one baring a title; one Latham is sorely without. Olivia Wilde (Not the starlet,) aka Liv Wilde (not the homophone of the motto,) is unaware she is the target of a wooing. Due to their longstanding friendship, whenever he asks for a dance she assumes it is out of politeness to his sisters friend or neighborly duty. When he flirts she is unsure of his sincerity, and she takes it for teasing. Olivia is not one to put much merit in words, unlike her BFF Miss Arabella Latham, to who the Bard's word is as good as gospel. Olivia doesn't care for superficial compliments; a fortunate thing as her dresses put the 'gad' in 'gaudy.' Here's a helpful rule of thumb: If Caroline Bingley would wear it, Olivia has it. See, for some reason, her Father, who is new money & uncouth, makes the fashion calls, and he likes whatever costs the most & is the flashiest, to exhibit his wealth, irregardless of style. Perhaps this is why Olivia is rarely asked to dance and has become a wallflower, which leaves her in a precarious situation, as her fathers social climbing hopes are pinned on her making an advantageous match, propelling them from tainted trade into venerated gentry. Defecting from this plan in not an option, as Mr Wilde is always on a knives edge, and if Olivia doesn't do as told, he will take it out on both her- verbally- and on her mother -physically. With the season in full swing, playing wingman to Emerson's romantic pursuit are his two best mates. There is Bradbury, a lovable scamp who enjoys to gamble, and sees no need to abandon his bachelorhood, he gives flashes of Barney from HIMYM. And Lord Northcott, aka Beasty, aka the brooding baron, all in reference to his imposing height and somber demeanor- evidently a Darcy type. Emerson surmises he must resort to unconventional courting methods to escape the jaws of the Friendzone. Having his head in the game, he suggests one of tag. This may seem out of left field, but with Emerson it is a pattern, literally all his solutions to any obstacle dropped in his path are a result of an arrested development with childhood games. His friends: Hey Emerson, why not attempt to be more transparent & blatant in courting her? Emerson: No, tag is the only way. Courting was never an option. Tag is love, tag is life. At times it gets a bit over the top, as it ALL comes back to the game. Every favor, argument, supplication.. Were one of the characters to drop dead, I wouldn't be surprised if their final breath would be wasted on the utterance, 'Please, finish the game. For me.’ All the while, they must be discrete when tagging one another, adding an an extra layer to the game. If they were caught, it would be the height of impropriety. Tag is not the only recreation the group will partake in, there are games within the game- a gameception, if you will! All the classics you remember from childhood feature fittingly when called for. I can't think of a better theme for a courtship where the gentleman hasn't expressly stated his intentions than children's games, since isn't that what dating in general feels like? Childish mind games, played by stunted adults- ehem. Not bitter. I digress. Will love be in the cards for Emerson & Olivia? Or will Olivia be forced to accept the hand she was dealt and marry a title irregardless of a want of affection? Might a titled suitor have something up his sleeve? Will Emerson's tag game prove to be the trump card? Or-- ok I'm sorry, I'll cease with the puns. I can feel the wrath building through the screen. The Brass Tacks: It was slow to get into, but by second half I couldn't put it down. This is not a story where you will find angst, or incredible depths of characters, but it was well rounded. It was always subtly funny, not in your face, but intrinsically so. The dialogue was solid, with some lines that stood out, the characters all distinguished, and the resolution satisfying. All in all, a charming debut. I love the theme of youth bound by strictures finding small pockets of fun and loop holes to slip through. Irregardless of their descending roles as masters and ladies in the marriage mart, they find a way to be playful, in almost small rebellion. It is the true universal attitude, the desire to find those with whom you feel safe to be silly. To bring out your inner clown. Not It. This novel inspired me to fit more games in, to create new & keep old inside jokes betwixt bosom friends; thus keeping the torch of whimsy eternally lit. Sometimes tis all too easy to forget to make time for some lighthearted silliness, and that reminder has made this yarn all the worth while. Whichever ballrooms life takes you to, whether be it one at the Met or the Marriott, tis never too late to squeeze in some games. I received an ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

I received a copy of this story from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This is a good book while you're in the thick of it but once it's over, it's easy to set aside and pick up a different book. It's entertaining and a bit unique but it doesn't linger. The premise of adults not wanting to be adults and playing one last round of childish games resonates with me. It isn't a view we often get from historical romances in this time period so I appreciated that. And the look into the unsavory inner workings of a wealthy family were a twist I wasn't quite expecting but found intriguing. The happy ending made me happy, if it did feel a bit rushed. I would have liked one more chapter or an epilogue. My biggest issue is with the main characters and the romantic arc. Emerson and Olivia had so much potential and never delivered on it. I wanted to see more of the Olivia that Emerson fell in love with but we never got that chance. I also wanted to see them fall in love but we were robbed of that, too. It just kind of happened and the story kept moving. Honestly, I found Lord Northcott and Arabella more interesting. Any lover of historical fiction will enjoy reading this but it wouldn't be the first story I recommend in this genre.

"He was not certain he would not rather face down an infantry of soldiers" "He wanted the spitfire he had grown up with, not the subdued debutante he witnessed at balls" "What is life if not a fated adventure?" If you liked Bridgerton , this is the book for you! I loved every moment of this story starting from the setting, the gowns and the balls till the games , the intrigues and the passionate love story developing in it. This book was exactly what I was looking for to get out of a reading slump and , in a very strange way, get me ready for the Christmas mood. There's something incredibly lovely about reading of ballrooms and gentlemen and ladies during their seasons while approaching to winter. Olivia is an amazing leading female character. She is witty, fast- minded and she enjoys playing game once in a while. Emerson? Emerson is just a perfect gentleman who's been raised with the belief that the really important thing in life is to be happy and make your loved ones happy in turn ... not assure economical stability not matter what. I loved reading about the teasing and the continue banters and Arabella's characters was just the perfect adding ingredient to make it all funnier. Maybe we're gonna hear more about her ... I really wish we will. This story was easy to get into with a fluent writing style that lets you follow the plot and the characters without problem. Everyone should read it ! "Surely nothing bad could come from playing a harmless child's game" "She would play one game for him and pray her father was not in attendance" "He could search the world over and never find another who called to him like she did"

This was a fun and exciting novel to read! I loved the author’s voice in describing the world of Regency England. I could definitely tell she put effort and research into making the story realistic, while also adding romantic flair. General imagery used helped expand the scope of this story for me, as many characters felt fleshed out with their own backstories waiting to be revealed. Emerson’s friends and sister intrigued me the most and were integral to the story, which leads me to believe some may get sequels in the future. Emerson and Mr. Wilde, Olivia’s father, were foils, which added dimension. Mr. Wilde and Emerson are both untitled, yet each have opposing views on marriage and class which play into an overarching theme of the novel. I loved this dynamic writing-wise, but at times felt it was a detriment to Olivia’s character. She has to choose between following her heart or her father’s wishes. However, her father can be abusive with threats and punishments. Compared to a loveless marriage like her parents’, Olivia would be inclined to fall for someone so different than her father – like Emerson – to escape. This is only worth mentioning because the romance wasn’t as organic as I’d hoped, as Olivia and Emerson don’t really connect in a mental sense as far as I could tell. I would have liked more serious conversations between them, less “inconveniences” because they misunderstand each other but won’t talk it out, etc. Also, Olivia and Emerson will mention how they “used to” act a certain way but have changed because of recent events, ones which happened before the novel started. I feel like their growth could have been shown some more, but I also like the development of both characters rediscovering themselves through love, so this is just a nitpick. Overall, I enjoyed the messages about grief, love, and merit featured in this novel. The characters were interesting and memorable, the setting was expansive, and the climax was exciting. Both leads are distinct from others within their social rank during the time period (ideologically and in character), but still mostly act within a realistic set of boundaries for said time period. I would recommend this novel for any Regency fan. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book I received from the publisher through Netgalley. All views expressed are my unbiased opinion.

Oh my goodness this book was amazing!! I loved it. The characters were engaging, the ideas were different than typical regency romances. It brought a bit of happiness to my soul.

"He leaned over her, his mouth close to her own, and she could not look away. His smile grew, and his eyes briefly dipped to her lips. 'Are you going to let me go?' she asked, breathless. She could feel the water bubbling perilously beneath her. 'Not if I can help it.'" What a delightful and surprising read! If you think you know what to expect from a regency romance story with ballrooms and proper London society, then think again. This book was such a cool opportunity to gain a new, playful perspective on the lighter side of regency flirting. A hidden look or a stolen moment during a dance is all well and fun, but getting to see these characters play an inconspicuous game of tag and other fun games while flouncing about in society was fun and unique. There's also another aspect of "game playing" as the struggles of wealth and status impact the marriage prospects and parental expectations of our two main characters. I loved the strong, intelligent female friendship between Olivia and Arabella just as much as I enjoyed the charming trio of gentlemen who all have their own fun with each other throughout this story. This story kept me on my toes and had me turning page after page to see how these two could make their own happily ever after possible. A couple unexpected twists and turns, several laughs and lots of swoony kisses will have this book on my mind long after I read the last page. So glad I picked this book up! Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts are my own.

Such a great book. First of, I loved the cover!! Second, I loved all the little games incorporated into the book. The author did a great job developing the characters and I was quickly pulled into the story. Well done.

The idea of this was good, but it needed further development. The characters seemed one dimensional and the plot was lacking. Everything seemed focused on playing the game instead of engaging the reader. I understand this is the author’s first work and I would be interested to see what else she might write before crossing her off my list.

I thought this was such a unique love story. I love the Regency era and the unique challenges it presents sometimes and the creative ways the hero and heroine have to find to get to know one another better and express their feelings. I thought the author did such a great job in presenting multiple points of view- I fell in love with Emerson's character almost immediately. I was totally drawn in, wanting him to figure out a way to win his love, despite their challenges. I thought the game aspect made it super interesting, and the heart behind it was so clear. You won't want to miss this delightful and fun love story!

This was a light, delightful read and a return to regency romance that I enjoyed. This book isn’t spicy and doesn’t have those kinds of scenes, however, it did have some sweet, romantic moments between the characters that really developed and built their relationship. This was a departure from my normal reads where the characters are strong, determined. Given the era of England, however, the demure female characters made sense. Overall, it was an enjoyable regency read. Plot: This was such a cute storyline and I honestly enjoyed how we didn’t go back in time to see how he fell in love with her, but we just got a snippet of their story; of how she falls in love with him. I also loved the game of tag they play and how it really was integral to the storyline. Writing: the writing was great and I enjoyed the style. Dialogue: The dialogue was nice between the characters. It fit and made sense, especially given the time period/location/ Character Development: While I love a strong character who knows herself, it is understandable given the time period and events why our main character isn’t necessarily a strong heroine. Or rather, she’s strong in her own way, but it’s not as obvious. She’s definitely more of a damsel in distress than I usually enjoy, I will say. Scenes: There are no spicy scenes in this book, which is fine. I’m so used to historical romances having these scenes though, but I didn’t notice until after the book was over. I will say, the ending was a bit abrupt and I do wish we could’ve gone with them on their journey, but still a good ending.

Jentry Flint CRUSHED her debut novel!! I was completely enthralled by this book from the first page to the last. It made me smile, laugh, sigh, and want to throw my kindle across the room at times. Emerson was such a swoony leading man, and I completely adored him. I really enjoyed Liv as well and her tenacity. She was so brave despite the circumstances life dealt her. I completely despised her father and Lord Valencourt, but they made the story so much more intriguing and left me scrambling to read the last few chapters as quickly as possible to figure out how things would end. I’m obsessed with with Brooding Baron (Northcott) and the Reckless Redhead (Bradbury) and need their love stories ASAP!! My favorite parts of the book were the game of tag, the first kiss, and the pig scene (IYKYK)😂 Make sure you pre-order this beauty now so you don’t miss out on this swoon-worthy, heart-pounding novel! It is releasing May 3, 2022. Thank you so much to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for the complimentary copy. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I had a hard time figuring out how to start this review because I loved Games in a Ballroom by Jentry Flint so much! A fresh take on regency romance, this book is bursting with creativity and fun. I loved Emerson’s mischievousness. I loved Liv’s spirit. Most of all, I loved the wonderful cast of characters Flint has created. From a Shakespeare quoting sister to a trouble making best friend, Flint’s characters are well developed, memorable, and filled with personality. I hope I get to see more of these characters in future books. Also, I loved all of the games in this book and how integral they were to the story. This is definitely a book to watch for when it releases in 2022. *Thank you to Netgalley, Shadow Mountain, and Jentry Flint for an advanced copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

his book was somewhere between three and four stars, since I don't have the possibility to give it somewhere in between, I have decided to award it with four of them as a boost for books to come. :) Anyway, this is a lovely read and I say it, because it reminds me a lot of The Duke and I and the whole Bridgerton series. The characters are loveable, the story can be a bit predictable at times, but you will nonetheless have a lot of fun reading it - if you are looking for something to ease your mind after the whole day of worrying and being under stress. I didn't like Emerson's character, because he was in love so much, that it was overexaggerated, and I know it is strange to say it, but I don't think men would show their feelings much in the Regency period. I would love to read the next books in series, if it happens at one point. The reason it took me so much time is that I had some personal reasons, but, this is a book you can read in one sitting, so if you are up for something like that, have it in mind. :) Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for an ARC.

Emerson knows Olivia as the best friend of his sister(Arabella) and also the woman he adores. As the season progresses, he thinks he has been doing a smashing job of wooing her but she doesn't see it as wooing. So, being a games in the ballroom in which Emerson's 2 friends and his sister are also involved. This was conceptually great but I thought the execution lacking. The romance lacked depth. The friendships are around were very well executed whether it was Bradbury and Northcott or with Arabella. All the Shakespeare references were really refreshing. I want to thank #netgally and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book. I am looking forward to Northcott and Bradbury's books in the series.

I really like this book. I thought it started off slow, but when you got into it, there was no stopping. I did not want to put it down. Emmerson and Olivia have that base friendship that I personally believe have to be in any good relationship. Emmerson's hope at courting Olivia is bleak. Her father only wants a title in his family line, and Emmerson knows that to openly court her is not a possibility. He decides to get her to fall in love with him secretly. He proposes a game and with the knowing help of his two closest friends, and his unknowing sister, they start up a discreet game of tag at every ball they attend. Olivia has resigned herself to a loveless marriage and when her terrifying father brings what seems a viable option, a man that is actually good enough for him, and one that tolerates her father, she sees her developing feelings for a good caring man, begin to become only a daydream-something she never sees as possible. But Emmerson decides to fight for her and isn't going to give up easily. I actually really enjoyed how it ended, although I would have loved an epilogue or one more chapter to keep it going just a little longer. But that is me being greedy. I'm excited to see what more Jentry comes up with. Rating: 4 stars

Olivia has been presented to society in order to find the perfect match. Unfortunately, her abusive father is determined to make the match for her- and the only thing that matters to him is a title. With her best friends Emerson (does not have a title) and Arabella they put together a game of tag to keep the balls a little more entertaining. Secretly Emerson is in love with Olivia and spends the whole book trying to subtly convince her of this, even though he knows Mr. Wilde would never agree to the match. This was just okay. The game of tag seemed a bit contrived, but it was fun to imagine them trying to do this during Regency balls. While the story was cute, it felt like it just took a really long time to get there! There were some cute moments, some silly moments, but overall the slow-moving story was just ok for me. I do appreciate that it was clean though!! Thanks to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

London, March 1815. Emerson Latham has set his mind on winning the hand of his childhood friend, Olivia Wilde, in this years season. He is certain that she will be the right woman to marry and share his life with, and to help with the household that his late father has left him with. There is only one problem; Olivia's father has decided that she will marry a man of title so that he can further his position in society. The titled men who are interested in her are all boring, plain and they all have a catch – which makes the endless balls and outings dreadful things for Olivia. Emerson Latham is the opposite of these men. He is charming and playful, proposing a game of tag in London's ballrooms to pass the time. The group of friends participate in the game that soon turns Olivia's attention toward Emerson in a whole different way. He is handsome and she knows him well, but he isn't titled. Her father would never allow such a match. This book is packed with romance, yearning for another, friendship, and the challenges that a person faces when growing into adulthood in the 19th century. We have a quite typical star-crossed lovers situation in the book, but the game of tag that drives the whole novel forward gives it a feeling that is slight different from books that I have previously read. The game gives the book a playful, fun, and youthful feeling, while the underlying problems are far deeper and more fitted for adults. Jentry Flint writes in a way that easily brings you through the book, and it flows nicely all through. The book felt rather short to me because of the flowing writing and the length being under 300 pages, but it still managed to make me root for the characters and their stories. They were all nicely written, and even though I feel that they could have been more developed if the book was longer, I am satisfied. This book has some of that Bridgerton-vibe without being as spicy, so that is definitely something to note. Further, I also feel that it has it’s similarities to Pride and Prejudice and other books written in and about this time-period. If you’re a fan of historical dramas and romances, then this is a book for you. Don’t expect to be blown away by something new or different, but it is a sweet book that is easy to enjoy for most people!

I believe this is a debut Regency novel from the author. The plot of the book is quite different and interesting. I like how the author showed how marriage during the Regency times is hard and complicated. And how a woman at that time has no choice on the matter. Aside from that, I also like the part where the hero and heroine are playing their childhood games with their friends, especially in a proper ballroom. However, I did not like how slow the story is and how unsure and somehow weak the female lead character is, except for the last chapters of the book. Although I understand where the author is coming from especially the abuse she experienced, I guess she is just not the type of heroine I like. Overall, this is an ok start for the author. Especially if you like a slow-burn story about two childhood friends learning their affections with each other through the games they play in the ballroom.. Got this from Netgalley, courtesy of Shadow Mountain (Thank you!) in exchange for an honest review.

Games in a Ballroom is the story of Olivia and Emerson, two lifelong friends who are just realizing that they might be more. Emerson is trying to get out of the friend zone, but Olivia is necessarily preoccupied by her horrible father’s attempts at marrying her up and off. Emerson concocts a game of ballroom tag as a way to spend more time in Olivia’s company, something that can be a bit tricky to come by with society’s strict rules for socialization. I enjoyed this story and would love to hear more about this group of rebellious young adults, coming of age amongst the at time stifling ton. I got the feeling there was a colorful backstory to this group’s antics, but we didn’t get much. A prologue would be a fantastic addition. Many thanks to Shadow Mountain Publishing and NetGalley for the complimentary copy of this work.

I read dozens of regency romances and whenever I pick up a new book, I am looking for something that sets it apart from the rest. This book involved game playing, amongst other shenanigans, which was a unique idea I have never read before. A game of tag in the ballroom? Sign me up! The premise of this book had me hooked from the beginning, and I enjoyed the added moments of peril and pranks. I love books where the guy falls first, which is part of this book as well. The whole story was just very up my alley! Once I started this book I honestly couldn’t put it down. I loved Emerson’s friend group and would love to hear more about them in the future. Content Rating: Domestic Violence, Closed-door Romance

This novel left me with many feelings and even more unanswered questions. Throughout my time reading it, I had to put it down and put it back up again many times. Even so, each time I picked it back up it brought me comfort. While the Wildes and Lathams had to deal with some heavier issues, it never felt overwhelming. The relationship between the main characters left me wanting. I wanted to know more about them, their feelings, their dynamic in their relationship, etc. I felt that way with many of the characters. There is more story to tell and I for one am excited at that possibility. Overall, this book was something I needed. Yes, there were times where the situation looked bleak, but they were never hopeless. I kept wondering how certain situations would get resolved or how some issues would be tackled and was left somewhat satisfied. There was much to love, more to like, but nothing to hate. Ethan and Olivia are characters you can root for without guilt. They feel familiar in a way that was comforting, something I have not encountered in a long time. Their story is one that leaves you with a smile on your face and joy in your heart.

One of the best Regency set books I have read, and I've read a ton, and to think this is from a debut author! I could hardly put the book down so great were the characters and plot. I loved how historical people and places were woven into the book . The characters were delightful, the romance perfect and perfectly paced . I can hardly wait for the next book and am hopeful the hints of romance between 2 secondary characters will come to fruition!!

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC of Games in a Ballroom. I love the Proper Romance series and Games in a Ballroom is a great addition. When efforts to woo the girl he loves falls flat, he starts a game in order to win his love. I loved this story. The character were fun and engaging. I hope to see more from this author and this series.

Olivia Wilde and Emerson grew up neighbors. She was his sister’s best friend, and they were always getting into trouble together. Now Olivia is all grown up. Emerson tries to court her through compliments and dances but she doesn’t see it. So Emerson gets creative proposing their group of friends all participate in a game of tag at the various balls and events they attend. The concept was innovative. I loved how games came into play in their courtship. I did wish for a little more excitement. Didn’t anyone notice their odd behavior? I like Emerson’s friends and their loyalty to him. I hope they crop up in books of their own.

The idea was unique. The author did an excellent job of having a unique take of a regency novel that centers around a game of tag. However, there were so many unanswered questions. Maybe it is just me, but the author wanted to make it a light read even if the heroine was dealing with serious issues. I wanted to like it, but I felt something lacking. I give it two stars for the unique idea. Thank you to Shadow Mountain for an honest review of this book.

This was one of the most unique regency stories I've read recently, and I really enjoyed it. The fun, playful premise sucked me in and I was really interested in the characters and how they would pull off playing tag through the ballrooms of London without facing serious consequences. Emerson and Olivia had a great dynamic. It took me longer than I anticipated to fully buy into their romantic relationship, but once I did, I was fully rooting for them. Emerson had a great arc as he learned how to balance his responsibility to his family with his relationships with his friends and his romantic aspirations toward Liv, and Olivia became strong enough to break away from her stifling situation and seize her own happiness. I enjoyed the climax and thought the ending was really sweet. If you're looking for a fun and unique regency story with a clean, swoony romance and loveable cast of side characters, definitely check out Games in a Ballroom!

Fun, flirty, and witty! What’s not to love? This is the type of story that I love to escape to. A world of balls, dashing gentlemen, and toe curling romance. I especially love it when you have two main characters evenly matched in their banter and intelligence. It really brings the story to life! This is the kind of book you read in one sitting!

I had such high hopes! I was intrigued by the plot, title and cover. But I felt it was too slow to start in the beginning, even when they finally start playing the game of tag - it wasn’t enough. I kept starting to read and putting it down for days. Even by 50% it FINALLY started to get interesting 🐷. I feel like for a game of tag - there’s adrenaline from not wanting to be it and excitement and then the “it’s taboo” all those things should’ve made it exciting but I didn’t get much of those emotions from the characters. Not until much later in the book. 🍊 I liked the friends more than the main couple, even though Olivia and Emerson have grown up together and Emerson has some unrequited love, there wasn’t any tension or growing chemistry between them. Overall this is plot driven with little character growth. And the end definitely needed an epilogue. But I would be curious to read more books by the author to see what happens to the group of friends. It was a fun idea and kudos to the author for thinking out side the box. I liked the other games added in as well. There were just some minor things that didn’t work for me but I know others have liked it. I received a e-arc copy from the publisher and Net Galley, these are my own thoughts and opinions.

I'm not a huge fan of the friends-to-lovers trope so clearly, I couldn't fully enjoy this book. Obviously I don't consider it to be a flaw of the book, but it did impact on how much I enjoyed reading it. Overall I think it's beautifully written (how could I not love a book set in regency times? exactly.)and I enjoyed the dynamics between the characters, plus I really loved all the Shakespeare's quotes and references. If you love friends-to-lovers dynamics and regency style books this one is for you! Oh, if only this books had been enemies-to-lovers.... sigh

Emerson Latham has been courting Olivia Wilde for a few months now, or so he thinks. Unfortunately the lady in question has interpreted their shared dances as him extending his older brother duties to his sister's best friend, but he has a new plan. What if he could convince Olivia, his sister, and his friends to play a game in a ballroom, and in the process court Olivia? Olivia Wilde knows that she must marry a man with a title to appease her father, who wants to see her married. When her childhood friend suggests that she join a game of tag, she decides to enjoy one last bit of freedom and agrees to play. All in all, I really enjoyed this novel! The games and pranks that the main group cook up were fun! I really liked seeing the unconventional courtship between Emerson and Olivia. I am also hoping for a sequel or two to this because I really like the side characters in Games in a Ballroom and would not mind seeing more of them. Many thanks to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for the eARC of Games in a Ballroom. I really appreciate the opportunity to read this novel! TW/CW: domestic abuse

Thank you NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review! Games in a Ballroom by Jentry Flint is a captivating love story following Olivia Wilde. Olivia is the daughter of a wealthy man and Emerson is practically a nobody with no title. Emerson plans to court her through a very intriguing way, which is through a game. I genuinely did like the whole concept of the games, but I personally felt something was lacking and was rushed at times. Also, it is a romance book but I did not really see the romance. The characters were well written, and I genuinely enjoyed reading their story! I would definitely recommend this to someone who loves fast-paced novels and light romance!

This is the debut book by Jentry Flint and I think she just became a new favorite. I hope to see more in this series. I truly enjoyed the antics and games played through out this book. It was a new spin on a regency romance and I loved it. Such a fun read. #gamesinaballroom #netgalley

I believe "Games in a Ballroom" is the first historical romance written by Jentry Flint and she did a very good job! I loved this book. To be fair, I am a huge fan of childhood friends that become lover and this is one of those books. Olivia, our heroine, is pushed to get married by her father who wants her to end up with a titled man, rather than someone who she might actually love. Because of this Olivia find a refuge with her childhood friends among which there's the handsome Emerson Latham. Emerson has his own troubles, since his father passed away all the household responsibilities became his but one thing he's sure about is that he loves Oliva and he's been in love with her for quite a while. The only problem? He's untitled and therefore Olivia's father will never allow him to court his daughter. Nonetheless he doesn't give up and before giving up his last hope, Emerson develops a secret love game of tag that must be played trough the season to try to conquer his childhood love. Will he manage to make Olivia fall in love with him? I really liked this book, I loved the banter and the dialogues in general are very well written, the pace is also quite fast. Again, I love a childhood romance so I'd have probably liked it anyway! The book itself is very romantic and Emerson is such an amazing character, I really loved him and rooted for him all the way till the end. The only thing I always find a little weird in romances is that the hero never speaks straight away about his feelings with the heroine and that would make things a lot easier, this is one of those cases. Emerson being honest about his feelings with Olivia would have been the reasonable and logic thing to do, nonetheless I really liked this book. I'm looking forward to read something else by this author, maybe even set in the same universe. It would be so great to meet all of the characters once more.