A Terrible, Horrible, No Good Year

Hundreds of Stories on the Pandemic by Teachers, Students & Parents

Pub Date 15 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 31 Mar 2022

The tenth book in the Six-Word Memoir series tells the story of a world we never expected to be in and can’t stop talking about. Told through the lens of students, teachers, and parents around the world, A Terrible, Horrible, No Good Year offers hundreds of inspirational, playful, and profound takes on life during the pandemic. For some, this book will be a window. For others, a mirror of their own experience. For all of us, A Terrible, Horrible, No Good Year is a time capsule to be read, shared, and discussed and is certain to prompt friends, family, and neighbors to ask each other: “What’s your six-word pandemic story?”

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781970183009

Send To Kindle (PDF)

What a wonderfully poignant, clever way to record and remember these endlessly unprecedented times! Not only were the bite-size memoirs full of wit and wisdom, but arranged by theme or relationship (it was fun to see kids' thoughts next to their parents') they had an extra layer of meaning. I loved the art and the essays by teachers/school workers. This is absolutely essential reading for educators, but anyone can appreciate this unique perspective on what we're all going through. I also think kids would enjoy hearing a sampling of these in a class read. It would be interesting to talk about what they relate to and what they would add. Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!

CW: COVID-19 pandemic Thank you to NetGalley and Six-Word Memoirs for an advanced electronic copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! This time capsule of a book asked people, "What's your six-word pandemic story?" This was specific to education - teachers, students, and parents. As a teacher through all of this - and currently teaching remotely - I knew I had to read this. It was refreshing to see some of my thoughts and feelings reflected in the words of others, that amidst the chaos, we "get" each other. I also like the six-word concept in general. You're linked to schools? Read this

arry Smith has edited and written several books of Six Word Memoirs. THIS book is by students, parents and teachers about the pandemic year. Different fonts are used. Beautiful colored pages are created by students at Kansas City Art Institute. Families’ memoirs are on the same page. A variety of teachers wrote a few paragraphs about their experiences — the librarian, the music teacher, the physics teacher, a teacher of incarcerated students. Each had to create ways to overcome barriers given during the year. Unusual and delightful book.

I love this book. It was sent to me Electronically from Netgalley for reviewed. Although I am retired, I still teach on FaceTime grands. Some in person grands. This book is fantastic. For parents and kids...for teachers...don’t miss this one. I would give it ten stars...

The year was 2020, of course— the year that the Covid pandemic changed the operating rules for so many students, educators, and parents. Using the clever vehicle of collecting Six-Word-Memoirs, the book becomes a poignant journal of a true plague year. The selection and organization of the entries is inspired, and the design of the book is colorful and upbeat enough to balance the prescient and sobering thoughts. A touching collection.

Heartfelt, poignant, and funny, these six word memoirs by students, parents, and teachers reflecting on the pandemic we’re everything I didn’t know I wanted to read. I loved how there were so many walks of life represented, including incarcerated teens and their teacher. It proves, once again, that while we are all different, we are all very much the same. Pandemic times have really divided our nation, and yet the emotions felt should serve to unite instead, if only everyone were willing to actually listen to their neighbor.

These six word memoirs by students, parents, and teachers reflecting on the pandemic, for me was unique. As one teacher said, using only six words teaches students to break things down into smaller bites. While reading the book, I thought this most of helped so many people, take them away from all that was happening around them, to change the way they think about it to sum it up in a six-word sentence. It was nice to read the stories, their six-word sentence, and it got some excited, and it was a way of taking a terrible, horrible, no good year, and make it memorable. I think this will become a treasured time capsule, of making it through the pandemic. I received an ARC from six-word memoirs through NetGalley and I highly recommend you read this with your family. It seemed to take me away from all that was going on and into a quiet place.

Teachers and students share their thoughts and experiences about the year of 2020 - COVID-19, quarantining, online school, etc. in six words. A really quick book that was a bit of everything: funny, sad, thought-provoking and emotional. This was my first encounter with the six word memoir books; it was fascinating to see how little is needed to convey so much. Thanks to #netgalley and #sixwordmemoirs for this ARC of #aterriblehorriblenogoodyear in exchange for an honest review.