Even the Dog Knows

Pub Date 08 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 22 Mar 2022

Talking about this book? Use #EventheDogKnows #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A family’s old, beloved dog takes a final road trip to help his humans find forgiveness and healing.

Although Moses is just a dog, he’s very observant: Gary hasn’t been the same since Meg left, Troy is hiding something, and Grace’s fingers smell like bacon.  It doesn’t take long for Moses to learn they are going on a road trip to see Meg. He misses her and regularly senses Gary’s loneliness. He knows he’s an old dog and that his time is near, but he also knows there are still important things he needs to do.

Even the Dog Knows has multiple appeal factors for adult and crossover readers involving family, expectations, disappointments, sorry, careers, dogs, and hints of happily ever after. Jason F. Wright providers readers with a thoughtful, honest novel about family life. Multiple plot lines surround the main story of Gary and his grandson, Troy who are driving a baseball team bus from Virginia to Florida to reconnect with Meg, who is Gary's wife and Troy's grandmother who raised Troy since his mother's death. Along the road they reunited with Grace, Troy's high school girlfriend, and meet up with Mark, a traveler who is visiting all the places his diseased wife wanted to visit. The dogs, Moses and Beverage, add tenderness to the story. A popular book for readers who enjoy road trips and reconnecting.

A sweet story. Meg left her husband 3 years ago, and has asked him to come visit with their old dog. She wants to see them both before it’s too late. Gary finally agrees, but takes their grandson, who they raised, and his old girlfriend along. Meeting Mark and his dog along the way, plus those around Meg adds flavor. Skimmable at times, but basically enjoyed this one. Would recommend.

What a beautiful story, As someone who loves dogs and has a life long love for them. I thought this story was heartachingly beautiful. Premise Meg Gorton finds herself alone and lonely in Florida. Three years earlier, she had packed what she could fit into her sister’s car, told her estranged husband, Gary, where he could find her, and asked him to take care of Moses, their beloved black Labrador. For years, she’d tried to talk Gary into moving away from Woodstock, Virginia. They both needed a fresh start after the loss of their only daughter many years ago. Even after raising their grandson, Troy, it was clear that if Meg wanted a new beginning, she would have to do it alone. Now, with some looming health issues, Meg has a plan to finally bring Gary to Gulf Breeze. Gary wasn’t able to move on the same way Meg did. Haunted by the tragedy of his daughter’s death, and painfully aware of his guilt because he feels partly responsible, he is stuck in his life. He still owns and drives the bus for their hometown minor league baseball team. And he still thinks about the day his wife drove away. At least he still has Moses, who is always willing to listen when Gary talks about his regrets and all the things he should have done differently. Meg contacts Gary with a surprise request: she wants him to bring Moses to visit her one last time before the old dog passes on. Gary is reluctant to go, but Troy thinks it’s an excellent idea. They could even travel together in Gary’s bus. Along the way, Gary takes a detour to visit Troy’s ex-girlfriend, Grace—the woman who Gary and Meg always believed was the one for Troy. Gary might not know how to fix things with his wife, but he knows he doesn’t want Troy to make the same mistakes he did. Although Moses is just a dog, he’s very observant: Gary hasn’t been the same since Meg left, Troy is hiding something, and Grace’s fingers smell like bacon. It doesn’t take long for Moses to learn they are going on a road trip to see Meg. He misses her and regularly senses Gary’s loneliness. He knows he’s an old dog and that his time is near, but he also knows there are still important things he needs to do. Even the Dog Knows is a novel that will take readers on a thousand-mile journey to find forgiveness, understanding, healing, and the meaning of true and lasting love. It was so lovely how much dogs bring people together and how they could sense things. It was a gorgeously entertained story and a true pleasure to read. I would recommend it to dog lovers anywhere or anyone thatat has a special place in their heart for an animal.

On the surface this is a book about lost souls and the old dog who loves them all. It's much deeper than that, however, and I found myself pausing to think periodically as I read. By sheer serendipity, given the role baseball plays in the story, I was finishing the book just as the last game of 2021's World Series played out. It perhaps gave me a greater insight to not just the players on the screen before me but those in the book. When you lose yourself, even in something so seemingly benign as a baseball game, you can lose not just your own identity but the touch with reality that binds us together. Gary has not only lost his way but tied himself so tightly to baseball that he finds himself alone when those about him realize they need more out of life than baseball stats and an ol' baseball bus he has bought. His wife, Meg, has moved out. Now, in Florida, she is ill and uses the excuse of wanting to see their old dog Moses one last time to bring Gary to her and give them a chance to find each other and start over. Moses is old but observant and just wants his people to be happy and together, well, that and some bacon. Grandson Troy, who plays minor league baseball, somehow convinces Gary to not only make the trip but goes along for the ride. In the process, several other lives are touched, both human and canine, for the better. This book has all the "feels". I found myself, in one of moments when my mind sought to make sense of how Gary and Meg grew apart, thinking of the tragedy that shaped them all, but also how we as humans seek to right ourselves, particularly as we age. Of course, the addition of a wonderful, loving old dog only added to the feels, especially as my own dog cuddled at my side. Totally oblivious to both the baseball game playing out on my screen and the role of baseball in the book, she offered pure, uncomplicated love. Unfortunately, life isn't that simply for us humans as Gary, Meg, and their circle of family and friends illustrate. The plot is simple, a road trip to Florida, but their actions, reactions, and how others play into the whole is quite complicated. Except for with Moses. He's a dog and he's love. As voiced by Grace, Troy's girlfriend, well, maybe, Mose is the glue that holds them all together. He's the one that pulls them together, too, when they are broken, despite the barriers humans put up. A thoughtful, intriguing read that I recommend highly. Thank you #NetGallery and #ShadowMountainPublishing for the ARC.

Publication date: May 8, 2022 Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own. A family’s old, beloved dog takes a final road trip to help his humans find forgiveness and healing: Even the Dog Knows is a novel that will take readers on a thousand-mile journey to find forgiveness, understanding, healing, and the meaning of true and lasting love. I CRIED SO HARD reading this book that my hubby thought that he had missed the phone call telling me that either my 94yo mom or 95yo dad died!!! This is a beautiful book that I would give 10 out of 5 stars to ... it was wonderfully written and this will be a book club pick for me personally as we are all animal lovers and lovers of excellent books. This was a love letter to every pet one must have had and a missive about getting back together when your stars are misaligned. I will HIGHLY recommend this to book clubs, patrons, family, friends and every animal lover I know. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant/never-ending/constant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🐕 🐶🐕 🐶 🐕

Good stuff. This is not high art, nor is it meant to be, but it is a nice story, well-told. Wright is prolific, so he know his way around a story. It looks like he's a decent bet if you like his style of writing and this type of tale. I appreciate the free ARC for review!!

Meg is alone in Florida. Gary is alone in Virginia. They are married, but have been estranged for three years. When Gary is invited to bring their dog, Moses to see her one last time he packs up his Baseball team van with his grown son and heads down to Florida. What then happens is a sweet line of events that are charming, loving, heartbreaking, and inspiring. Overall a really sweet story. It was unique to hear the dog's voice in this one as he watched what was going on around him. There was a lot of history with this family that needed to be worked out and it was a beautiful trip to watch it all play out. I always appreciate a clean read as well. Thanks to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain for an eARC in exchange for my honest review.

This was such a charming sweet book. It had me and tears. Dog lovers will love this story of love and forgiving. I have read other books by this author that they were great books also.

#EvenTheDogKnows #NetGalley This book was a different one and a little hard to read at times. Gary and Meg Gorron, have been grieving, the loss of their daughter Mallerie for many years. Gary's life revolves around nothing but baseball. Megan decides she has had enough, she heads to Florida with her sister. Three years later, Gary heads to Florida on his baseball bus, with his grandson Troy and Moses the dog. They pick up stragglers along the way. Moses, notices the little things along the way, because yes, even the dog knows.