High-Wire Heartbreak

Pub Date 01 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 01 Mar 2022
Barbour Publishing, Barbour Fiction

Talking about this book? Use #HighWireHeartbreak #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In 1936--A party at the Ringling mansion Ca d’Zan in Sarasota, Florida, leads to a robbery--and possibly death.

A successful historical mystery writer, Chloe Whitfield comes to Ca’ d’Zan to research her next novel. Chloe’s fascination with the circus is rooted in family stories of her great-grandmother Lucinda Conroy, who reportedly was a trapeze artist of some renown. She’s heard hints of scandal—and perhaps larceny, but no details.

Chloe’s grandmother—rumored to be Lucinda’s only offspring—was raised in an orphanage and never knew her mother. Intrigued as she is, Chloe has no intent of writing about Lucinda until she sees a poster featuring Lucinda as the star performer for a 70th birthday gala for John Ringling in May of 1936. From there the trail goes cold.

Who was Lucinda and what happened to her?

Send To Kindle (PDF)

This is an interesting read. Twisted together into a duel time read, the author develops her characters well and adds some mystery and suspense. What really happened to the young gymnast who disappears after doing a triple flip high up in the air? Sarasota, FL and Cad’Zan, home to John and Mable Ringling, is where the book takes you as the story unfolds. Chloe, a writer, hopes to get inspiration at Cad’Zan but is distracted in her research by the disappearance of her grandmother from this very place. Chloe sets out to unravel the mystery. The storyline will keep you engaged until the very end.

High-Wire Heartbreak is a fascinating addition to Barbour’s outstanding Doors to the Past series. This well-crafted story drew me in from the beginning and kept me engaged to the satisfying ending. The dual-timeline set in 1936 and 2022 in Sarasota, Florida, is beautifully executed. Both storylines flow smoothly as they twist and turn delivering surprises along the way! The characters are well-developed and memorable. This the first book I have read by this author, and I like her fluid, expressive style. Vivid detailed descriptions of the setting and historical details show evidence of extensive research. For me, the sweet romance takes a backseat to the captivating mystery and intrigue. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I did expect a stronger faith element. I highly recommend this read especially for dual-timeline and history lovers. I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

The story revolves around the Ringling Brother's Circus in 1936. The historical details as a backdrop is well done and made me feel as though I was there along with the main characters. I loved hearing the story of Lucinda Conroy from two different time periods, hers and that of a historical mystery writer, Chloe. Lots of mystery, deception, scandal, and intrigue are included in the storyline to keep me engaged. A very well-written tale that will keep you on the edge of your seat. It's one of the best stories I've read this year and hated for it to end. Highly recommend. I received an early copy from the author and voluntarily choose to review it.

High-Wire Heartbreak by Anna Schmidt is a mixture of a mystery at the Ringling Mansion in Sarasota, Florida, and a hunt for what is family. I love the dual time stories that feature a mystery in the current setting, but then the actual mystery playing out in the past setting. These type of dual-time stories have become wildly popular, and I have enjoyed reading them. It makes it a little easier to read and understand what occurred in the past instead of reading letters or diary entries to learn what occurred previously. Of course, there is romance in both time periods. There is a jilted romance in the past that sparks the whole mystery in the present. It was nicely handled. I really did not think either romance was a little fast. The present one was a little odd and out of place for the time frame of the novel, but it worked out for the characters. Overall, High-Wire Heartbreak by Anna Schmidt was a delightful story in the Doors to the Past series. I have really enjoyed all of these stories, and I hope there are more of them to come. I received a complimentary copy of High-Wire Heartbreak by Anna Schmidt from Barbour Publishing, but the opinions stated are all my own.