The Evil in You

Pub Date 07 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 21 Dec 2021
Amazon Publishing UK, Thomas & Mercer

Talking about this book? Use #TheEvilinYou #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Fifteen years ago she escaped with her life. Now he’s back – but has her luck run out?

She’s seen the killer’s face since. She sees him everywhere she looks. But now she’s certain she’s found him. That cold velvet voice is unmistakeable…

Unable to resist her obsession with bringing her friends’ murderer to justice, Michaela decides to take the law into her own hands, triggering events more terrible than that nightmarish summer’s day fifteen years earlier. But will she finally understand what really happened?

A Note From the Publisher

Born in the Saarland, Germany, Jutta Maria Herrmann is a trained bookseller and has a degree in German language and literature. During her career she has organised rock concerts, scrubbed floors, been a secretary for a joinery firm, worked at a conservation centre in Berlin, written scripts for dubbed films, and much more besides. Nowadays she earns a crust as an assistant to the politics section of a newspaper, but whenever she has time, she sits down at her computer and writes stories. For more information, visit www.jutta-maria-herrmann.de. In 2019 her thriller The Evil in You won the Kindle Storyteller Award in Germany.

ISBN 9781542029759
PRICE £8.99 (GBP)

This book is so good. I pretty much read it overnight. It was scary and thrilling and I couldn’t wait to find out what happened. One of the best stories I’ve heard all year.

I kind of went back and forth on this one?! This book had suspense , intrigue, action and a crazy twisted who done it! The storyline was very unique, and I did enjoy reading this book but I was a little confused at times?! All and all it was an enjoyable read and I would recommend it but it wasn't one of my all time favorites! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

Thank you Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the eARC. A very creepy thriller, this story features a traumatized woman who, fifteen years ago, had such a terrible experience that she is still suffering from PTSD: sleepless nights, panic attacks and hallucinations are just some of the symptoms. She keeps hearing the voice of or seeing one of the attackers who killed her friends and the police and her mother are getting fed up with her sightings and accusations. Are they real or are they part of her hallucinations? She decides to take revenge when she recognizes a man as the killer and events spiral out of control into a nightmare of epic proportions. It's a hard book to put down, even though I felt uncomfortable and tense at times. You know she's making mistake after mistake ... or is she? Recommended!

Creeping Menace… The past is returning to haunt Michaela and that past is bad news. Very bad indeed. This time she’s going to take the law into her own hands. But is Michaela in the grip of her own obsession? Slow creeping menace woven through this gripping suspense with solid characterisation and a well crafted plot.

Probably one of the most interesting books I’ve read in a while?? That was really great I really enjoyed the journey that this book took us on. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for this authors works in the future of course!

Michaela is sure it’s him. The killer. She’s been wrong before, but she knows she’s right this time. And she’s going to make him pay for what he did—at any cost. Fifteen years earlier: five teenagers, camping by a remote forest lake to celebrate the end of school, are terrorised. All but one are brutally murdered. All but Michaela. She is left alive, left to try and make sense of the trauma, to piece together the fragmented memories she has of that day. I loved this story. It was creepy, and believable full of twists and turns. I loved the setting of the story and that it had been translated into English. It felt foreign, dark and even more creepy than if it had been set in England or America. There were times where I believed Michaela and times where I was seriously doubting her sanity which made for a thrilling read. I found it hard to put down.

“For a fraction of a second, my heart stops. Something in my head goes click. In my mind’s eye, the lake drifts into view, the water dyed blood-red by the setting sun. An icy shiver runs through me. And then I see him.” From the title I was intrigued, the short prologue hooked me and I never looked back. I devoured this book in less than 24 hours and that including having to work a full day. Michaela our main protagonist was so brutally tortured physically and mentally 15 years ago the scars still feel raw. Finally starting to come back out into the world causes many disturbances in her life and mental stability. Hearing the voice of the person who caused so much pain around every corner….or is it just in her own mind? She plans to get revenge for her friends that went for a lovely summer camping trip and never made it home. Knowing she finally has the killer in her sights she sets about planning her revenge. I loved how the author was able to break it up between chapters going back and forth from 15 years earlier to present day. Breaking it up into full chapters instead of flashbacks made me just keep turning pages to get more information. Constantly trying to piece it all together in my head before the reveal of all that happened comes to light. There are great twists and so many emotions throughout this book I even had to remind myself to breath a couple of times. The imagery she paints of Germany is beautiful and just made me want to visit all the Christmas marketplaces. So ein tolles bunch, ich kann es kaum erwarten, mehr von dieser Autorin zu lessen. 5/5 Thank you & Danke schön to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for sharing this digital copy in exchange for my honest review

The story starts in 2003, when a group of schoolfriends go camping in the woods. During their outing something terrible happens. Only one of them survives the ordeal, albeit leaving her deeply traumatized. Fifteen years later, a young women at a Christmas fair in Berlin, notices two children who have escaped the attention of their parents, and buys tickets for a fairground attraction. ( I'm sure that would make any parent nervous, to say the least. I teach my kids not to take anything from strangers, and assume many a parent feels the same way, but that aside). After that the story gets more confusing and sometimes downright unbelievable. There are also inconsistencies in the story. The main character thinks she recognizes the voice of her perpetrator from years ago, and decides to kidnap the man, stun him with a taser, anesthetize him with chloroform, kidnap his baby son, holds the women who helped her out earlier at gunpoint, or have a reasonable conversation with a man who has just confessed he killed a man to help her. I am sorry, but that just doesn’t make sense at all. And how can someone who goes cycling, return later by car ( and be in a car accident later on? ) Nope, too unbelievable, too much drama, too much focus on silly and unnecessary details, too many adjectives, too much of everything really, making the story more of a farce than a psychological crime thriller. Writing was below par for me too as well. Not recommended, 1 star.

This is a quick read. Interesting characters and a great plot, but unfortunately the writing is somewhat awkward. I did enjoy the story, although it was confusing at times. I was disappointed with the rather abrupt ending.

3.5 rounded up Grabbed me at the start. Did slow down a bit but I still enjoyed it. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book

*3.5 STARS I thought the book was pretty thrilling. Herrmann succeeds in telling a very creepy story. The story moves between the present and past, and the author fluctuates between the two fluidly. The book was fast paced, and kept you wanting to know more. Even though parts of it were slightly difficult to read, owing to the description of some pretty disturbing scenes, it was hard to put it down. There were some good twists as well. However, there were some parts that I thought were slightly predictable.

This book was sent to me electronically by Netgalley for review...Some of the characters are likable...the story moves slowly...this is a quick read.

My first novel by author Jutta Maria Herrmann and I did enjoy it. The plot was gripping and it really drew me in. The main character is Michela and she has experienced terror in her past and can not seem to let go. . She sees the killers face wherever she goes and is hanging on to bring the killer of her friends to justice. The story follows Michela as she sees the killer and this in turn sets off lots of events that are terrifying. I can not say too much as I do not want to give any of the storyline away but if you like a good thriller with high content of a vigilante then do pick a copy of this novel up. The only thing that I found quite hard going is that this novel is translated. Nonetheless a really good thriller and the author is a brilliant storyteller. Thanks to NetGalley, Jutta Maria Herrmann and the publishers for allowing me a copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

Interesting but not really my cup of tea. Well written I just personally couldn’t get into the story. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

A good book, that I enjoyed. The book follows the main character trying to piece together the turn of events that resulted in her friends been murdered many years prior. It is suspenseful and intriguing, somewhat confusing in places however some of the twists I did not see coming. With a bit of crazy behaviour from the characters thrown in, making it a gripping read and you literally did not know what would happen next. Would recommend. Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read the book.

A new author for me and a good read.The plot was a bit confusing at times. The first part of this book was gripping but I am afraid the rest of this book was a struggle. I don't know if this is the translation or if this is the authors way of storytelling. Unfortunately for me it did not deliver. Saying that I am sure other readers will enjoy it more just not for me. Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book in advance. Very interesting story and a lot of twists and turns. The book keeps you guessing.

The start of this book is so intense. It was a great way to glue you in. This isn't my normal go to read. but I'm glad I picked it up. I had mix emotions about this. There were parts in this book I enjoyed. But some of the time line did get confusing and at times this book felt long winded. Still I enjoyed it over all. I was granted a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.

This is a mystery that kept me guessing and surprised me in the end. I thought it was well written and held my interest.

Michaela is sure it's him. The killer. She's been wrong before, but she knows she's right this time. And she's going to make him pay - at any cost. Fifteen years earlier: five teenagers, camping by a remote forest lake to celebrate the end of school, are terrorised. All but one are brutally murdered. All but Michaela. She is left alive, left to try and make sense of the trauma, to piece together the fragments she has of that day. The plotline can be a bit confusing at times, I don't know if some of it was lost in translation. This is quite a creepy read. The story has a dual timeline, told in the present day and fifteen years ago. There's also some graphic descriptions of disturbing scenes. There's lots of twists in this intriguing and gripping read. I never knew what was going to happen next. It can be both tense and uncomfortable to read in places, so it might not be suitable for the faint hearted. I would like to thank #NetGalley #AmazonPublishingUK and the author #JuttaMariaHerrmann for my ARC of #TheEvilInYou in exchange for an honest review.

This was a very interesting book. First time author for me. It was a.little different kind of book. It was okay I liked it Thank net galley for letting me read this book

This was a very quick read! At first, it was a bit confusing. But eventually it started to get a little far fetched and unbelievable. With that said, it still was worth finishing just to see who killed the 4 teenagers back in 2003. There were some plot holes as well. The ending was good & was an unexpected twist. I do enjoy books where you can’t trust the main character’s perception which is why I did give it 3/5 stars.

Fifteen years after witnessing the murder of her friends Michaela is absolutely certain the killer is back as she spirals further into her obsession to get his confession, how far will she go and what memories will she uncover as she loses control of everything around her. This book is very dark, twisted and suspenseful at times the plot seems confused and difficult to follow this may be due to parts being lost in the translation or it could be to demonstrate Michaela’s confusion and mental state. The ending for me seemed to throw the whole outcome of the story up into the air and left me unsure of the truth of what happened, I’m sure some readers will absolutely love the way this ends but my preference is to be left with a solid outcome. Overall this is a fantastic book which will play with your mind and senses throughout. I would like to thank net galley, Amazon publishing and the author for allowing me to have this ARC. #NetGalley #TheEvilinYou