Magic in the Weave

Pub Date 01 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #MagicintheWeave #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Country physician Gabriel Taverner is both bewitched and unnerved by the Company’s sexually charged staging of Othello. The play thrums with magic and witchcraft – perilous subjects, with the King’s deadly spies lurking around every corner.

When Gabriel’s good friend, Coroner Theophilus Davey, tells him of a dangerous, whispered conversation overheard during a brief break, suggesting one of the cast fled London in possession of a terrible secret, Gabriel is even more relieved the Company will soon be on their way.

But then one of the actors collapses, and Gabriel finds himself caught in a waking nightmare, where nothing is as it appears. Death is stalking the Company – but how can Gabriel hope to catch a cold-blooded killer, if he can’t even trust the evidence of his own eyes?

This page-turning historical mystery will appeal to readers who enjoy theatrical settings, head-scratching puzzles and creepy atmospherics.

October, 1604. Plague has...

A Note From the Publisher

We will consider requests from established bloggers, Acquisition and Collection Development Public Librarians and booksellers in the UK and USA. For Goodreads and Amazon reviewers, we will take into consideration your NetGalley Feedback history.

EDITION Hardcover

As soon as I saw the front cover and title of this book I knew I had to read it. It was gripping right from the start with a tense and gothic atmosphere. It was creepy, intense and suspenseful. I was kept guessing all the way through and I couldnt put it down. I loved the storyline, the characters and the setting. I really enjoyed it

Magic in the Weave by Alys Clare A theatre company bring secrets, magic and murder along with them on their ‘Plague Tour’, in this bewitching historical mystery starring physician-sleuth Dr Gabriel Taverner. October, 1604. Plague has hit London, and the theatres are closed. But the capital’s loss is Plymouth’s gain, when a London theatre troupe, the Company, arrive on their ‘Plague Tour’. A very clever storyline , which had it all , mystery , suspense , intrigue , along with twists and turns to keep you interested . Brilliant.

A worthy new addition to a well established and beloved series set in Plymouth at the start of the Stuart period of British history. Weird and violent murderous shenanigans happening among a talented travelling company of Shakespearean thespians hailing from London and presumably fleeing the deadly fingers of the plague lurking around the country. But it's the omnipresent feelings of doom, fear, conspiracy and treason that makes this compelling story a marvellous piece of historical fiction. Taking place before the Gunpowder Plot against James I, the author is able to brilliantly render all the uncertainties so prevalent in England between the death of Queen Elizabeth and the first years of the new reign. A marvellously dark tapestry of magical shenanigans full of twists and turns, unforgettable characters, violent deaths and an atmosphere of permanent dread that will linger with some readers well after the last page. An engrossing and well crafted novel that deserves to be really enjoyed without any moderation whatsoever! Many thanks to Netgalley and Canongate/Severn House for this terrific ARC

Thank you to NetGalley and Severn House Publishing for an e-galley of this novel. Alys Clare is one of my favorite historical mystery writers and the Gabriel Taverner series can be counted on to add stories to the series which allow the characters to continue in development as well as present an intriguing mystery novel. Gabriel is a physician in 1604 in a small town outside Plymouth in England and he is presented in such a way that I can easily believe he has medical knowledge that is useful and helpful to his patients but makes me aware of how small that sphere of working knowledge actually is. He doesn't have all the answers and he doesn't cure every ailment he comes across. That is especially true in this story which is steeped in dark magic. Maybe even a ghost or two? A group of players has arrived in Plymouth during their self-proclaimed Plague Tour to get away from the plague in London. Yes, in 2022 we are reading about another plague right when we are all so involved in our own plague/virus. Unfortunately, a story set in this time period in English history is often using the backdrop of plague to add drama and unrest to a plot. This isn't essentially a plague plot, but the subject does come up often. Instead, this plot revolves around a group of men who have dark secrets and an aura of invulnerability for any murder and mayhem they indulge in. Combining a dark secret and a public house going back hundreds of years add up to a real feeling of menace which is wonderfully portrayed by this author. This is a good book to read when you have all (or almost all) the lights on in your favorite reading room. The group of players perform several plays by one of their members, Will Shakespeare, who wasn't able to be on this Plague Tour with them. I really loved all the dissecting of the meanings behind those plays. So, Shakespeare plays and woo-woo shivers too? Yep, some fine reading!