Wish (The Otherworld)

Pub Date 05 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 13 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #WishTheOtherworld #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Most humans have forgotten their sparkle . . . hypnotized by the darkness that obscures it.

Twelve-year-old Cara O'Reilly always thought her father was teasing when he said she and her sister had fairy magic. But it's been nearly a week since he went on a mountain hike and vanished-right after an argument with Cara. She wished him gone, and now he is.

Cara's little sister Bri hasn't spoken a word since his disappearance. In fact, Cara feels like her whole family is under a curse. And it seems like all the adults in their family are keeping some sort of secret. Her world further tumbles into chaos when, after a close encounter with a living, breathing fairy, Cara realizes the old stories are all true. Now, she must find the door to the Otherworld to retrieve an ancient treasure. But can she battle the darkness to save her family-and the entire world?

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Dr Victoria Harris is a Humanistic & Integrative psychotherapist in private practice who specializes in using creative techniques for emotional healing. Dr Harris has trained in child psychotherapy and play therapy and researched the use of creative techniques in psychotherapy. She works with children, adolescents, and adults. Dr Harris believes strongly in early intervention and using creativity as a tool for healing. She has two children and enjoys spending time in nature, especially in West Cork, Ireland. It is here surrounded by the rugged beauty of the landscape and the local folklore that she finds the inspiration for her books.

Advance Praise

‘The book reads like a cross between the beloved Magic Tree House series and The Lord of the Rings. It is highly engaging and provides a window into Irish history and culture.’ Nathan's Papers Bookreviews

‘Dr. Harris incorporates techniques for managing emotional regulation, anxiety, grief, and negative thoughts into a story rich in fairy folklore.’ Lindsey

‘Strong sister bond. Fae stories and fae adventures. Doing everything one can to save a small town. A wonderful, whimsical adventure. What more could you want?’ Juliana Chastine Estanislao

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781919612614
PRICE £6.99 (GBP)

Clearly written prose that is full of imagination, and the promise of a new series for young readers. There’s much to enjoy in this book, well worth sharing.

For a middle grade book I really enjoyed it! I thought the story line was creative and imaginative and I couldn't help myself but to 'wish' that it were published when I was younger. I would have loved to immerse myself into this wonderful fantasy land of fairies. Especially the adorable character of Jack. I enjoyed Clara and Bri's relationship a lot too and think its so important to show good sibling bonds in middle grade books. I will definitely be recommending this to my friends with children around this age!

A charming middle grade book about a young girl with the power of wishes, who embarks on a quest to save her father. This book dealt with themes of grief very well, and I like the fantasy spin. The characters fell a bit flat in some parts, but overall it was good!

I gotta say this was written so well! I loved it! Cara was such a relatable and real feeling character. I liked that it was first person. I also really liked that it felt so MG contemporary like more than half but of course with magical elements of faes. I think it was done so nicely that it feels real, not just be too heavy that it seems unbelievable. Her sister Bri was soo cute, and I like how this book handled grief and the ways other people feel it, especially how Bri went mute. I liked that Bri was an artist too and her sparkle and familiar were so cool too. I liked that there were actual adults who helped. I liked this story, and when the author published the second one, I'll be up for it!

A lovely exploration of grief and family dynamics through magic and adventure. Cara was a wonderful and complex protagonist, and this was a fun take on the fae.

A great book for upper middle-grade readers, full of magic, excitement and adventure! Children will love the stories about the Fae, and good and evil, and there are also other themes, such as grief, jealousy, friendship, and fear of not being believed that they will be able to relate to. Set in Ireland, the story is well written, with great characters, and a story line that keeps you hooked. This is the first in the series, and I will be looking out for the others as I'd like to continue reading about Cara, Bri, Connor and Sean. Highly recommend for both adults and children!