A Death in Custody

Pub Date 28 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 05 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #ADeathinCustody #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Brixton in the late 1990s. Delroy Brown, a young black man being held in police custody, dies in a confrontation in his cell with a police officer.

The officer claims to have acted in self-defence but fails to give a satisfactory explanation for being in the dead man’s cell.

Chief Inspector Elliott conducts an investigation into Delroy’s death, but his enquiries are obstructed by a lack of co-operation from police officers, the activities of a corrupt private investigator – and the legal system itself.

Alison French, a young journalist, Neeta Patel, Delroy’s family’s solicitor, and Ben Weekes, a black youth worker, join forces to try and find out the truth about Delroy’s death, but find themselves in growing danger, as they are drawn into a murky world of violent criminals and police informants.

The officer claims to have acted in self-defence...

A Note From the Publisher

T. S. Clayton is a retired solicitor. In the 1990s he practised criminal law in and around Brixton, South London, working for the Crown Prosecution Service as a Crown Prosecutor, and later Senior Crown Prosecutor, before becoming a freelance defence advocate.

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £3.99 (GBP)

This was an enjoyable book that made for an easy read. I liked the writing style, the chracters and their development and the storyline. It was such an interesting read especially with the BLM movement being so at the forefront at the moment. I really enjoyed it.

A Death In Custody - T.S.Clayton I didn't think I would enjoy legal thrillers, but I read some great books by Gillian McAllister and Kia Abdullah, I'm always open to trying new authors so this caught my eye. Set in Brixton in the 90's, a young black man, arrested for dealing crack, dies in a Police Station cell. The writing style is straightforward, which creates a feeling of honesty and trustworthiness. The author's legal knowledge is very apparent. It's an interesting book, with various characters investigating the case from different angles and with varying agendas. There are also those trying to hinder the investigation. It is a brave balancing act between the unraveling thriller elements (exciting) and the legal procedure (a little dry), and I think the book just about pulls it off. I was interested rather than compelled, but I'm glad I read it. Thanks to Netgalley and Matador

This is a very good read of the death in custody of a young black man, Delroy Brown. Set in Brixton in the 1990's, it has all the action and suspense of a thriller and gives an insight into the criminal justice system in Britain. As the investigation into Delroy's death is conducted, a world of violent criminals, danger and police corruption is exposed and the investigators find themselves in danger. A realistic and well written book. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.

The author resists what must have been the temptation of his lived experience and does not weigh the balance of the book too heavily towards technical or legal detail. Rather, they bring to the fore the story - which I a, sure was based strongly in truth - of race and rights in 1990s Western society. A fascinating and engaging book, which skirts on the edges of the thriller genre, this will appeal to those who like strong alignment with reality in their reading,