The Rake

Pub Date 28 Jul 2021 | Archive Date 15 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheRake #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

It is the turn of the 19th Century and Lord Jaspar Heddington is a rich...

A Note From the Publisher

GILLIAN HAWSER is an internationally renowned casting director who has worked for over thirty years across film, television and theatre in the UK, Europe and the US. From Bill Kenwright to Warner Bros, Sony, HBO and Universal, she has developed close working relationships with leading producers on both sides of the Atlantic to deliver casts of exceptional talent, imagination and diversity. For more than the past decade Gillian has been a prominent presence at the heart of BAFTA.

Advance Praise

Average 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon!

Average 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon!

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £4.99 (GBP)

Terrific regency romance, with which Georgette Heyer would not be unhappy. A must read for any fan of romance, Regency or Heyer, this book has it all in spades. It is reminiscent of the more serious of the Heyer romances, and the reader has to suspend belief for a short while, but ultimately a gripping story with intrigue and derring do aplenty. Try it. I doubt you'll regret it.

The book started off with a bang with this new author. The Hero, Lord Jasper was a difficult character to like. His use of woman was very shabby..... This is the story of his growth from a Rake to a more caring man. He has a near death experience and this changes him. The book had a lot of side story's and characters. I enjoyed the first third of the book the most. It slowed down in the middle with several side plots and picked up again at the end. It was a nice book.

Thank you to NetGalley for enabling review copies of The Arranged Marriage and The Rake. Gillian Hawser is a new author for me and I’ll certainly look out for books written by her in the future. The books are in the regency romance genre and are written in a unique traditional yet modern way. They are good clean tales of romance with many twists and turns on the way. At some points, I found myself laughing out loud. Definitely excellent reads for fans of this genre.

4 stars I liked this story though I didn't really like the hero. He treats women badly and comes across as entitled, probably typical of his time. It is novel that we don't meet the heroine until much later in the story. The other aspect of the book that harks back to Heyer is the inclusion of historical characters and the sheer number of people in the book. Modern novela seems to put a spotlight on perhaps 4 protaganists in a narrative, whereas this one joyfully adds the other debutantes, Jaspers friends, Grizelda's godmother, his and her sisters and other couples that get their HEA. (I think Grizelda isn't a particularily flattering name but IMO is evocative of her anger towards the hero). I will look out for more novels by this author it's a great start as a debut novel. For those to whom such things matter it's a clean story. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

The author is new to me, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this up. I found this to be a nice story about redemption, set in the Regency time period. It was ineresting to see the growth of Jasper from rake to a genuinely caring man. He starts out as a rake of the worst kind, seducing and bedding really any woman, even innocents. One time even his sister thinks he goes to far, and sends him off to the country to avoid scandal. On his journey there he is shot by a beautiful redheaded woman and is gravely injured. Having this near death experience he begins to see life differently and realizes he needs to change his ways. He tries to search for the shooter and in the process realizes that he wants to marry and have a family. He goes back to London and doesn't give up the search for the mysterious lady, and he eventually finds her. This story was an enemies to lover story of sorts and it was quite entertaining to read. I was a bit disappointed that the story was told in 3rd person, as I like reading the character's point of view, but the story was still enjoyable. I would like to read more by this author in the future. I received a complimentary copy from Netgalley and am voluntarily leaving my review.

I am a sucker for a good Duke romance and this one was lovely. I highly recommend all the books by this author which I have enjoyed immensely.

I was attracted to the description of the story and the cover, but I’m afraid I really struggled with the story itself. The Rake, Jaspar was just too unlikeable and his character did not win me over I’m afraid. I really struggled to finish the story as it seemed a bit too meandering, but thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for sending me a review copy.

The Rake is the first book I've picked up by Gillian Hawser and while I have another book of hers in my library, I'm holding on picking it up. I didn't love this story. For me, I have to connect with the characters and I didn't really love any of them in this book. Jaspar, while wholly fitting the title, isn't great. He apparently has been working his way through the ladies of the Ton but most recently, seduces an innocent, Laura Ludgrove. When things go sideways and he decides to head out of town, he comes across a mysterious woman who eventually shoots him. As he is recovering, he has an epiphany that he decides he wants to change and find a relationship like the one his sister has with her husband. He also keeps flashing back to the woman who shot him. Eventually they cross paths again and he finds out she is Grizelda Ludgrove, Laura's sister. As Jaspar and Grizelda continue to cross paths their relationship changes. I found it a bit odd how her feelings changed and honestly didn't love that Jaspar had a relationship with both. It seemed weird. As I said, I didn't love this one but the writing was great and I will pick up the other book eventually.

A remarkable tale of redemption and transformation, The Rake is a love story set against the backdrop of a changing world. It is the turn of the 19th Century and Lord Jaspar Heddington is a rich handsome rake, who womanises with impunity, indulged by the world he inhabits who turn a blind eye to his peccadilloes. However, when Jaspar seduces the beautiful, innocent Laura Ludgrove, the enusing scandal is different. To escape the fallout, his beloved sister, Nillie, orders him out of London and back to Bardfield, his estate in the country. On the journey, he encounters a mysterious and beautiful girl who captivates him - and then unexpectedly shoots him. Wounded and bleeding, his life is ultimately saved by young Dr Horace Sugden, a trailblazer of the new scientific world. Overwhelmed, Jaspar struggles to understand why he was shot. Still haunted by the strange encounter, Jaspar decides to search for the girl who invades his dreams - but will he emerge with more than he bargained for? This book was filled with mistakes. The letter l was continually used in the place of the letter I. I hope that this mistake was fixed in the published copy. This is a convoluted tale of mistakes and love. I have not previously heard of this author yet I will give her another chance. I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. This in no way affects my opinion of this book which I read and reviewed voluntarily.

I did enjoy this book, although the pace did slow during the middle part but there was plenty of action later on and it became a real page turner. There were a good number of characters, some I think could have been left out as they didn’t add anything to the story. I like Grizelda ( apart from the name), she was feisty but also caring for those she loved. Jasper, Lord Heddington, had a change of character after a near death experience and began to change his ways. The way people spoke and behaved seemed right for the era. There is a romance but neither are sure of the other’s feelings and it doesn’t go smoothly. This was an entertaining read and I will read more by this author. I received a copy and have voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I was intrigued by this book from the start, the setting and blurb captured my attention, and I loved the cover. Couple things that I was unaware of. One, it’s written in the 3rd person which I am not a fan of. It detaches the characters for me and makes it harder to get into the story because I feel like I am outside the story and not in it if that makes sense. Second, it has fade to black I know that’s not a big deal for some, but I am not a fan of them, I prefer the details it again helps me to connect with the characters and what’s happening between them. Okay now to the story I was overwhelmed at times with all the secondary characters throughout, it convoluted the story and made it kind of hard to follow. Jasper is a Rake, and he is the definition of one, taking what he wants with no recourse and without remorse. I didn’t like him, but that’s to be expected I mean the book is called The Rake for a reason. What I was not a fan of was he didn’t have any redeeming qualities until about midway. I am glad that he finally had some but at that point he just irritated me. All in all, this was a good story, not great but good. I like the redemption ARC and that he did decide to become better. I am sad that it was due to his almost dying and not because he realized he’s a terrible person, but I digress. This book had great potential but fell just a little flat for me. Absolutely worth a try though. Voluntarily Reviewed an Advanced Complimentary Copy

The Rake by Gillian Hawser had both pluses and minuses for me. On the plus side, I enjoyed the story line with its tale of redemption and its enemies-to-lovers theme. Jaspar Heddington was not at first a likeable character, but we did see him change and grow throughout the story, and I enjoyed following that transformation. On the negative side, the pacing of the story was a little off. The opening and ending were entertaining, but things floundered for a while in the middle, with a wide range of side characters drawing the action away from the main plot. Also, although this book was published back in July (and was therefore not an ARC still awaiting final proofreading), there were a fair number of typographical and grammatical errors, which did jerk me out of the story at times as I paused to work out what the sentence was trying to convey. Despite these minuses, though, The Rake was still an entertaining story overall and if you are a fan of Regency romance with rakish heroes, I am sure you will find enjoyment in this piece. It gets 3.5 stars from me.

The Rake is a ridiculous romp. Lord Jasper is a rich, spoiled but importantly extremely charming rake who spends his time living large and seducing who ever takes his fancy but he goes too far when he charms and deflowers Laura Ludgrove the teenage beauty of the season. His sister tells him to leave until the furore dies down but on his journey he comes across a beautiful but deadly woman who shoots him for no apparent reason. After his brush with death Jasper is back in town and back in society only to find his femme fatale across a crowed ballroom. This is completely ridiculous but throughly enjoyable. What I like about these books is that they don’t try to shoehorn modern values into history, they are in a weird way of their time. Jasper’s behaviour is despicable and should in no way be condoned or unpunished which makes his happy ending somewhat questionable especially as Laura’s character is denigrated later in the book to sort of make it ok. It isn’t. All of it is completely outrageous and soapy anyway that that is the least of the drama. It is a lot of fun.