Cocky Earl

Regency Cocky Gents Book 1

Pub Date 25 Aug 2020 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #CockyEarl #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Compelled by a losing hand of cards, the Earl of Westerley has promised to court the only daughter of the American Whiskey King. And, as a man of honor, the earl woos her wholeheartedly. But as time passes, it becomes apparent that luck’s been with him all along. Because when he lost that night at cards, he may just have won the love of a lifetime.

Miss Charley Jackson didn’t want to sail to England. The British are stuffy, arrogant, and think far too highly of themselves. Particularly, the ones who referred to themselves as Lords. She has no interest in society or having a Season, all she wants to do is learn about and taste Scottish Whisky.

Until, that is, she gets a taste of the Earl of Westerley.

Step into the past and fall in love with these Regency Cocky Gents, where a group of Englands' sexiest cocksure lords lose their hearts to headstrong, intoxicating ladies who don't always follow the rules. Seven completed novels to make up your next binge!

EDITION Ebook

Links

Julian is in no hurry to marry. Charley is dead set against it. Though she's visiting her English grandparents, her heart lies with her American father's whiskey distilling business. When a card game goes awry, Julian's honor requires that he make good on his wager with her father to convince Charley to marry him. She feels betrayed. Becoming a nobleman's wife isn't her dream. Will their forced courtship lead to true love? This is a well-written book with strong characters and a well-paced plot. I enjoyed Charley and Julian, especially her cleverness and his honesty. The tone is upbeat, though I prefer a little more emotion. Overall, it's a refreshing, original story and an entertaining read. Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC I received. This is my honest and voluntary review.

Rich, titled, and with his debauched days (mostly) behind him, Jules' primary form of amusement is outlandish and costly wagers with his close-knit group of friends. When he includes a visiting American distiller in the action, he finds himself with a losing hand and the obligation to pay court to the man's daughter, who is very much out of place among the titled and well-heeled aristocrats of his circle. He finds, however, that her uniqueness is refreshing...and captivating. This is very much a slow burn romance and, along the way, the reader is treated to information about whiskey distilling, Jacksonian politics, and the tensions between England and its recalcitrant former colony. It's always interesting to get a little depth and knowledge over the course of a story. The MCs have chemistry, but the story is, if not closed-door, door ajar at most. This would be a great pick for anyone interested in a the history of this time period who likes a romance that is solid but not overwhelming. Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!

Cocky Earl is the first book the Regency Cocky Gent series by Annabelle Anders. It follows Miss Charley Jackson who is the only child of the American Whisky King, Mr Daniel Jackson. A woman only concerned with her distillery and making whisky, she finds herself courted by Julian Wellstone, the Early of Westerley. When Jules spends time with Charley, he finds that their relationship is more than just honouring a bet. As a man born to privilege, he finds he is always questioning his ability as an earl. Together he and Charley, have to reassess their initial assumptions and beliefs of the other, and find that together they have the makings of a wonderful relationship. A romance built with two strong characters and this is also supported by several great secondary characters. I found this an enjoyable read, with plenty of witty dialogue. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Miss Charley Jackson arrives in England to meet her dead mother's family. She and her father are American and in the business of making and selling whiskey, Charley has followed in his footsteps to learn the business. Whiskey is her life. Invited to a country house party, everything changes with her father's wager with the Earl of Westerly in a game of cards. If he loses, he must marry Charley, only Charley doesn't want to marry a stuffed shirt Englishman. The Earl will prove her wrong. It will take another wager for her to get the life she wants. Funny and clever. I like this book. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book.

I got a copy of this from the publisher, through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This was my first read by Anabelle Anders and I was very pleasantly surprised. The writing was good, the characters were engaging and the story didn't lag. It's a classic "house party/ reluctant girl vs overconfident man" with a rather unlikely premise - the hero loses a bet and has to woo the lady but he falls for her in the process. The one thing I didn't care for (but understood why it was there to support the credibility of the plot) was all the betting and how it was weirdly related to honor. I'm guessing readers who are not that good at suspending disbelief will take great issue with that. Otherwise, pleasant, fast read, very low in angst.