How to Be Weird

An Off-Kilter Guide to Living a One-of-a-Kind Life

Pub Date 08 Nov 2022 | Archive Date 06 Nov 2022

Talking about this book? Use #HowtoBeWeird #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A guidebook for beating the monotony of the everyday by purposefully cultivating the surprising joys that come from living an off-kilter life

It's all too easy to get caught up in the often monotonous nature of our day to day--moving from one rote task to the next, only to rinse and repeat the next day. Weirdness, however, is an easily accessible antidote to these feelings of languishing. The quirky, eccentric, and peculiar can take us out of our normal habits of thought and perception, surprising us by breaking up our routines and reminding us that there's more to life than the everyday.

In How to Be Weird, Eric G. Wilson offers 99 fun and philosophically rich exercises for embracing all the weird in the world around us--taking aimless walks, creating a reverie nook, exploring the underside of bridges, making tombstone rubbings, finding your own Narnia, and more.

With brief digestible entries on how to make sense of the random, guidelines on how to defamiliarize familiar objects through meditation, and exercises for locating weird states and phenomena for ourselves, How to Be Weird is an invitation to lean into the weird and to live a fuller life.

It's all too easy to get caught up in the often monotonous...

Send to Kindle (PDF)