Secrets of the Looking Glass

Pub Date 13 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 27 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #SecretsoftheLookingGlass #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

After returning from Wonderland, Celia and Tyrus journey to the Looking-Glass World to reclaim their mirror images and stop a war between two powerful queens.

When a dark creature called the Bandersnatch steals Lewis Carroll’s lost diaries, Celia and Tyrus try to get it back but are tricked into passing through a magic mirror into the Looking-Glass World, a place where everything—themselves included—are divided in two, like identical twins. Celia’s astute logic and Tyrus’s exceptional imagination now belong to their mirror images, Lia and Ty, who are generals in the Red Queen’s Army, which is at war against the White Kingdom.

Left without their greatest problem-solving skills, Celia and Tyrus must rely on each other more than ever as they play a massive game of chess to try to catch their mirror images, who always seem to be one step ahead of them. Along the way, they engage in a rhyming battle with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, seek advice from Humpty and Dumpty, and learn how to believe in the impossible from the White Queen, who remembers the future as if it were the past.

As the final battle draws near, Celia and Tyrus form an uneasy alliance with Lia and Ty in order to find the legendary vorpal sword—the only weapon powerful enough to stop the war. If they fail, not only will two kingdoms be destroyed, but Celia and Tyrus might never regain their stolen talents and be trapped in the Looking-Glass World forever.

When a dark creature called the...

Advance Praise

Reviews from book 1:

"Savage pays homage to Carroll's world with imagination as well as a notable love for math and literature while adding his own ingenious twists to the original. Both Celia and Tyrus struggle with bullying back home, and Celia's dyslexia is a constant source of frustration when other kids underestimate her intelligence, and the book ultimately offers a message of empowerment and self-love. A fun and clever return to Wonderland."

Kirkus

"This novel succeeds at highlighting the ways in which different talents and interests are beneficial, and how well differences can complement each other...Unique."

School Library Journal

"Savage (the Mysteries of Cove series) packs this loving homage to Carroll's work with riddles, puns, ciphers, and more, challenging his intrepid heroes at every turn, even as they learn to combine their strengths to overcome their weaknesses. Playing with typography to further embrace its source material's gleeful absurdity, this adventure captures the Wonderland spirit while updating it for a new era."

Publishers Weekly

Reviews from book 1:

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

What a fun “after wonderland” tale. This version is very well done and you won’t want to put it down until the very end. Fun for both kids and adults!!

I love this magical and enthralling story! It was an easy read filled with adventure, great characters, and an awesome world with unique concepts.

Just like the first one this book does not disappoint, it was great to read more about the lost wonderland and see these characters navigate everything that happened to them along the way.
This is a series that I hope continues to grow I feel there are infinite possibilities to explore in the world of wonderland.
A favourite I will reread again and again.

Secrets of the Looking Glass by J. Scott Savage

This was my first Savage series and it’s been a fun ride. I’m about as familiar with Lewis Carroll as the Disney movies, so many of the references were probably lost on me.

Secrets of the Looking Glass is the sequel to The Lost Wonderland Diaries and it makes for a fantastic addition to the story. Thrown into another adventure, Celia and Tyrus must play a massive game of chess and solve riddles in order to try and stop a war between the Red Queen and the White Kingdom.

I loved the adventure and fun in this book but I also loved the growth of the characters and the spooky black sheep.

Everyone knows the tale of Alice in Wonderland, her adventures and all the characters she meets along the way. Despite being a huge fan I do have difficulties with spin offs sometimes, as writers take the story and completely obliterate it. This was not the case. Taking the concepts of Alice, the Hatter, and many other characters the author was able to create such a great spin that I want to read it all over again. I want to read everything from before the Looking Glass and read about many more adventures to come. Fabulous storytelling from the beginning.

If you are a fan of Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass, this is the book for you. This is a very clever retelling that incorporates all the fun elements of Looking Glass. You encounter the Humpty Dumpty, Tweedles Dee & Dum, the Black Sheep, and even the beautiful scented rushes that Alice keeps rowing to collect; yet, they are presented with a very creative twist in a way that you wouldn't expect. There are lot of great puns and quotes from the book, including the Jabberwock poem.

If you're not a huge fan of Lewis Carroll, which I am not, this book is still entertaining. Though, I must admit, since I'm not a fan of Looking Glass, I struggled through the first half of the book. The second half really picked up, and I totally enjoyed the ending. Gratefully, I had read Looking Glass before I read this book, which helped. At the time I finished Looking Glass, I never wanted to read it again. However, Savage's retelling has made me question that decision. At some point in the future, I might venture Through the Looking Glass once again.

Secrets of the Looking Glass is the second book in The Lost Wonderland Diaries and follows Celia and Tyrus as they venture into the Looking Glass, encounter their mirror images and become entangled in a battle between the Red and White Queen's Armies.

I'm a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland and so I thoroughly enjoyed my read of J. Scott Savage's first book in The Lost Wonderland Diaries series. It had all the memorable characters I've come to know and love, like the White Rabbit, The Mad Hatter, the Queen of Hearts and the Cheshire Cat. Savage then spun the story into a few new and pleasant directions. This latest addition also did not disappointed, I loved all the new characters, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, Humpty and Dumpty, even the Bandersnatch (from Jabberwocky), the Black Sheep Pirate Captain and Lia and Ty, who are mirror images of Celia and Tyrus with the bonus of having received their "best qualities," or Celia's math/logic skills and Tyrus's imagination.

What would a Lewis Carroll adaptation be without some clever wordplay, nonsensicalness, a few acrostics, neologisms and portmanteau words? There's even some clever riddles and I love how it focuses on language, including words like "abhorrence and "deferential." There are so many details that I enjoyed, the way that each chapter ended with the title of the next chapter. The inclusion of chess and emphasizing how it improves skills like visualizing, planning moves in your head, increases your ability to analyze an outcome of your opponent's move and react. Skills that later became important when the battle between the White and Red Queen began. And oh, don't get me started on the wonderful battle scenes. So much fun. Savage really has a knack of taking all the wonderful things about Lewis Carroll's works and combining them into his stories giving them the feel of the original works, while being something completely unique, humorous, and exciting.

Then there's our two main characters, Celia and Tyrus, who because their skills were taken away had to learn to adapt, and in the end discover that within them are more abilities than they've ever realized before, that there is more too them then just their logic and imagination. That having flaws was a strength. I will forever remember the expression a "fish in roller skates." Overall, this was a lovely story that I zipped through and has me now looking forward to a re-read real soon. *Thank you Shadow Mountain Publishing and Netgalley for the E-ARC**

#secretsofthelookingglass #netgalley

This was a great story to read. I loved the storyline and the characters, definitely recommend this book!

I was concerned that after enjoying the first book that the second would not be so good. No worries, it was a great follow up. Looking forward to more from this author.

This book was adventure from the first page! You follow our two main characters as they are transported to Wonderland agian. They have to face challenges throughout and they grow with each challenge presented to them. This is a great way to continue this series. I highly recommend for children and adults to enjoy together. What a wonderful retelling of a classic.

As a fan of Alice in Wonderland I always enjoy retelling of these classic. This is the second book in this series where we follow the main characters Celia and Tyrus as they go on Unexpected adventure and encounter a war between the white and red queens. This story has all the favorites including the Cheshire Cat. Fans of Alice in wonderland or retelling will enjoy this.