Busy Little Hands: Science Play

Learning Activities for Preschoolers

Pub Date 20 Dec 2022 | Archive Date 20 Dec 2022
Storey Publishing, Storey Publishing, LLC

Talking about this book? Use #BusyLittleHandsSciencePlay #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this fourth book in the Busy Little Hands series, preschoolers get ready for a science adventure! Preschoolers wonder and explore with 20 hands-on experiments using everyday household objects and making daily activities such as snack time and play time into learning opportunities. Each play activity demonstrates a simple principle of physics, earth science, chemistry, or biology, including the Kitchen Sink or Float (demonstrating density), the Vinegar Volcano (pressure) and Blooming Colors (chromatography). Featuring bright, easy-to-follow photos specially designed for pre-readers, this book is packed with learning fun, plus it sets the groundwork for science success in kindergarten and beyond.

EDITION Hardcover

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Science Play! Is a book that should be added to any toddler's shelf. Found inside are many different ideas for science experiments that you can easily do with your toddlers. We try to do at least one sensory play activity a day, and this book is full of different ideas to help make that a reality. With easy to follow directions and pictures as well as cute illustrations, Science Play is an adorable book your toddler will love to work through with you. I also love the cultural representation of all different types of people in the book. Highly recommend.

Thank you to Storey Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Such a fantastic book! My little one is a bit too small for these activities at the moment but I can see this book coming in handy in the future. In fact I wish it had existed when I worked as a nanny!
Everything is clearly explained with text and pictures. It explains what parents need to prep and what kids can do so it would be easy to do any of the experiments.
There is also a huge variety so there really is something to keep all kids entertained. I also like that it encourages kids to think about the experiments as they do them and has prompts to do so.
Such a great book and one that I can see myself buying in future for parents.

Amazing book for teaching basics of science through experiments to little ones with lots of materials you likely already have at home! With lots of fun and bright pictures, the pages take you through simple experiments step by step, At the beginning of every experiment, there is a little setup guide for the grown up to prepare that is very straightforward. This book would also be great for a classroom! My 5 year old and I will be having lots of fun with these this weekend!

I received this for review. I was extra excited to review this one, as my son LOVES science and crafts. The book states it's for preschoolers, however, my 7 year old son enjoyed doing these activities. We've already done 6 of them! Most of the items it requires, you can easily find around your house and kitchen, which I absolutely loved! Also, these do have some parts parents need to help with (especially for younger children) but majority of these activities the kid will be doing most of the work. It's such a creative way to learn and play! I enjoyed doing these activities with my son. I look forward to trying the rest this weekend!

This ARC was given to me to review from the publishers and NetGalley. All comments above are solely my true opinion after reading this book.

I loved it!
My 5 year old loved it!
Can't wait to buy this book as a gift for a friend about to pop!

Awesome! A little kids are essentially baby scientists as they are exploring the world around them. This book has TONS of activities that you can do with them to help them explore and learn. The lovely thing about this book too is that the activities use things that you are likely to have in your house already, or sometimes you don't need any materials at all, and they are super easy to set up. I'm a tired mom, sometimes I don't have the energy to set up something complicated or that will make a big mess! I am definitely going to buy a physical copy of this in addition to the e-book version.

Thank you to Storey Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to access this free e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

Fun, engaging and easy to follow, this book is a perfect arsenal to entertain your tiny humans, without having to gather or buy an obscene amount of supplies (I’m looking at you Pinterest activities). My son is 7, and the book is still full of activities that are interesting for him. He especially enjoyed “washing water”, and making a shadow clock. We also revisited old favorites like a vinegar volcano and “mystery goo” (ooblek)- but, these experiences were like never before because this book actually offers easy to understand reasoning for the science behind the experiment, which really helped my guide his imagination!

Science Play by Susan Edwards Richmond is a fun and hands-on science book for young children!

As a Montessori teacher, I appreciate the hands-on learning approach and have done many experiments with my students. I can say from observation that children have so much doing science, and it helps connect them to the world around them.

The instructions are easy to follow, and a child around kindergarten/1st grade could do these independently with minimal assistance. It would also be fun for parents to share these experiences with their children.

I recommend this book in every home as well as every classroom!

Thank you, NetGalley, and to the publishers for an e-arc copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Fun and cool experiments to do with your kids. A great way to engage with them that’s not related to electronics. Learning and bonding together! Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to access this early!

This is a beautiful book filled with fun experiments for young children! It has clear photos and instructions, and most of the experiments can be done with household items. I tried a few of the activities with my 4-year-old and he enjoyed them! I love the emphasis on making observations. This book is a great way for young children to use the scientific process in an age-appropriate way!

I highly recommend this for families with young kids, or even PreK/K teachers!

Thank you to Storey Publishing, NetGalley, and Susan Edwards Richmond for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest opinions.

We ADORE the books in this series, and Science Play is another fantastic one!

The tiny scientists at my house (3, 4, and 7) love the real life pictures and overall design, and I love how engaging and simple the ideas are. If you like easy-peasy experiments with manageable prep and little-to-no mess, you’ll be set.

Thankful to the publisher and NetGalley for this sneak peek in exchange for an honest review.

Science Play is brilliant, filled with amazing activities to learn how things happen. This book is great and I think children will love it because it has real photos and lots of information. Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book.

This book is perfection!!! I cannot wait to try out some of the ideas as a teacher and as a parent of young children!!! I love how these science concepts are grounded in play. Really well done!

I absolutely loved this book. As a 1st grade Science teacher, this book is perfect to recommend and buy for my students. I liked how in each activity, they have a step, by step instructions with pictures on what to do and how to accomplish the activity. Pictures were great. Very kid friendly. Not too easy, not too hard.

Will track down other titles in this wonderful series! Great photos, provides instructions without being too wordy. Perfect to pair as activity after toddler storytime.

I love this book! I really appreciate the the book was made with young readers in mind. This is not just a book of activities with dense instructions for mostly adults to engage with and then implement with kids later. There is a small area that describes adult set up, but most of each page is dedicated to simple pictures and step by step instructions that children can follow with more independence than is often possible with this type of book. This is a great resource for families and teachers. I am just so impressed by how developmentally appropriate this is for young readers.

I absolutely love this book. This is a great introduction to learning science. I've noticed my kids learn best with multi-sensory activities and this book delivers. Parents will appreciate the tips from setting up projects. The step-by-step directions have easy to follow pictures with "real children '' completing steps. It's great that most experiments found in this book are done with household items. This book is done well and worth buying and is a great addition to any library.

Thanks, NetGalley and Storey Publishing LLC, for providing me with the digital ARC for an honest review.

Here we have a perfect book for us parents that have kids who loves to learn and play.

For me who have a soon 4 yo I found stuff we could do together and have a great time :)

I am always interested in educational children's books. I saw the title of the book Busy Little Hands: Science Play by Susan Edwards Richmond and wanted to read it.

Busy Little Hands is filled with quick experiments for preschoolers to try either at home or in a classroom. From Creating a Volcano to Polar Bear Paw, to the Biodiversity Hoop - all these activities are trimmed down enough for preschoolers to do, understand, enjoy, and possibly learn from.

The activity I loved most was the Animal Trackers. I never thought about doing that with the animals you can buy in a store. I need to look at their feet more closely. Loved the ending graphic of creating a Science Field Kit.

This book is a little gem to help parents and teachers of preschoolers engage in fun, learning activities about science and nature.

Thank you, Netgalley!

Rolled to 4.5 stars.

This book is perfect for adding some science to your life! As a teacher, homeschooler, or just wanting activities for kids this book would be great to have around. I would say these activities could be adapted for ages preschool through elementary.

A variety of science activities that are just FUN. Children learn best through play and this is the perfect combination of activities to get them there. The pages are not cluttered or over stimulating - there's a section for adult prep work, simple instructions your child can follow along with, and a variety of real and drawn graphics. Definitely recommend.