Eternal Questions

A Maybe Interesting List

Pub Date 25 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 28 Jun 2022

Talking about this book? Use #EternalQuestions #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Is it a proper function of government

to install a merry-go-round in a public park?

Should one aspire to be a subject matter enthusiast

on at least one subject?

Are some people so smart

they are coming around to dumb again?

Is it good

to get good and drunk

at a wedding?

Is it a proper function of government

to install a merry-go-round in a public park?

Should one aspire to be a subject matter enthusiast

on at least one subject?

Are some people so smart

they are coming...

A Note From the Publisher

Iwanna Twainbee attended St. Petersburg Missouri Community College where she mainly smoked cigars and got drunk with her friends. Mark Twain appeared during her seances, and, fortunately, he became her guru.

She is a heavy reader of literature and usually buys her books from brick and mortar independent bookstores. To sort the good from the bad she sticks to authors whose names provoke a tickle of recognition, and she focuses on novels still on the shelves fifty years after first publication.

She is gender fluid, moment-by-moment, but in connection with this book she has been and is all female.

Advance Praise

"As the topics intersect with one another, it becomes evident that the style of the presentation will prove particularly alluring to readers already well grounded in philosophy, social inspection, and literature.

Impossible to easily categorize or put down, Eternal Questions: A Maybe Interesting List is a recommendation for thinking readers who have often been accused of asking 'why?' and embarking on unexpected journeys because of this question."

-D. Donovan, Sr. Reviewer, Midwest Book Review

"Only a deeply introspective mind could have contemplated and compiled the ingenious, eye-opening questions in Eternal Questions: A Maybe Interesting List."

-San Francisco Book Review

"Eternal Questions: A Maybe Interesting List by Iwanna Twainbee had me questioning things I had never even considered... any question you pick would be a great conversation starter."

-Manhattan Book Review

Marketing Plan

Bookstores and libraries contacted for stocking and reading opportunities

Book club selection

Goodreads giveaways

Social media outreach and ad-buys

Kirkus, Publishers Weekly reviews

Publications/newspapers/book bloggers contacted for reviews, interviews, and features

Guest on radio and podcast shows

Bookstores and libraries contacted for stocking and reading opportunities

Book club selection

Goodreads giveaways

Social media outreach and ad-buys

Kirkus, Publishers Weekly reviews

...

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I'm trying to review this book for what it is.
This isn't a book you read. Its a quirky list of questions to start discussions, with some cute footnotes that add or distract from the questions, depending on your personality.
In a Top 100 list, not everyone will agree with all Top 100. Some of the Top 100 Rock Songs are trash, to me and my opinions. This book will of course suffer from the same issue. Most of the questions are good, some are throwaway attempts at humor, some are so specific they don't apply to everyone, this is just the nature of lists. That's not a bad thing because some of the questions I don't like will be your favorites.
I recommend this book as something to pick up, as your friend/spouse/roommate (all three?) a question and then start talking for awhile. Would be good for a dinner party or drinking on a weekday.
**I received an advance copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Interesting book with questions even I haven't thought of when wide awake at night unable to sleep
Entertaining and well worth reading

Eternal Questions: A Maybe Interesting List is, for the most part, interesting. How interesting probably depends on the reader and how the book is used.

A few of the questions were either misprinted or "Twainbee" didn't think it through very well. Most, even the ones that might seem specific, address bigger questions. If you're the kind of person who often asks yourself these kinds of questions (I am one of those, and I usually keep it to myself because friends and family get tired of it) you will many that are variations on themes you've probably pondered.

While the two likeliest uses for this book is personal pondering and discussion/debate starters with friends, I have one other suggestion. A lot of these would make good writing prompts, either focused or freewriting. If you write fiction, start writing from one of the questions and when you find a germ of a potential story, go with it. If you write nonfiction, take one of the questions and focus your freewriting on applying the principle to your areas of interest. Yeah, I know, this suggestion isn't for everyone, but even if you just like to write for yourself this is a good way to work through your thoughts on the question. And yes, my students tended to either love me or hate me, but most came away with better critical thinking skills.

I would recommend this book but selectively. We all know which friends would enjoy thinking more deeply about things and which wouldn't, so choose accordingly.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.