Never Ever Getting Back Together

A Novel

Pub Date 29 Nov 2022 | Archive Date 20 Dec 2022
St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books

FROM NATIONALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY-BESTSELLING AND INDIE NEXT PICK AUTHOR Sophie Gonzales, for fans of American Royals and Anna K: a girl enters a reality dating competition to get revenge on her cheating, royal-adjacent ex-boyfriend, and ends up falling for another girl on the show—in fact, the girl he cheated on her with, in Never Ever Getting Back Together.

“Wickedly funny [and] searingly sexy.” —Kelly Quindlen, author of She Drives Me Crazy

It’s been two years since Maya dumped her cheating ex-boyfriend Jordy, and she still can’t escape him: his sister married the crown prince of a minor European country, and in the lead up to the wedding he captured hearts globally as the eligible younger brother. So, when Maya receives an invitation to be a contestant on Second Chance Romance, a new reality show in which the now-famous Jordy will re-date his ex-girlfriends in an effort to find “the one that got away,” she isn’t interested…that is, until she realizes she can use this opportunity to exact her revenge. If she can make it to the finale, she can reject Jordy and publicly break his heart. As far as Maya’s concerned, it’s payback with interest: just what a guy like Jordy deserves.

But when she gets to the set, she’s confronted with the one person she hasn’t accounted for: Skye, the beautiful, charismatic girl Jordy cheated on Maya with. How is she supposed to live with this girl for six weeks? Sharing bunkbeds, for crying out loud?

Except, of course, there’s more to Skye than she lets most people see. Skye has her own reasons for being careful with her heart, and might be more willing to take Maya’s side than it initially seems. If they can sustain their reluctant alliance—and keep their unexpected chemistry from interfering—they might just have a chance to take Jordy down.

ISBN 9781250819161

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

AAAAAAAAAAA my goshhhhhh I absolutely DEVOURED this!

1. The humor was everything. Anyone who knows sophie gonzales knows her humor is incomparable, and I don’t think I need to say much more here. A rom-com that actually has comedy, not just lightness. I had tears from laughing at points (the kayak scene especially. Oh and the presentation!)

2. As far as characters, these are actually a lot more “likable” than sophie’s usual, but I was all for it. I say likable in quotes because I always like her characters, but these ones are just so very very *good* down to their souls (especially Maya. Maybe Skye is a little more gray now that I think on it.) Not only that, but we have a wonderful array of side characters (my favorite was Francesca hands down), who are complex and flawed and distinct from each other, and we have a story that really nails the line between realistic conflict and girl-hate. I was curious to see how this would be handled given the premise, but I shouldn’t have worried. The support all these girls show each other warmed my cold cold heart. And Jordy as the villain was simply *chefs kiss*, he really is deliciously hateable, with juuuust enough warmth that we can see why people would like him. It’s easy to fall into the trap of making the villain too cartoonish, which makes you wonder if the girls are just idiots for liking him to begin with, but we see that softer side, and his manipulation, which makes it SO effective.

3. The writing: sophie keeps growing as a writer, and as someone who has read three of her books, I can really tell. The perspectives are remarkably distinct, so we get a real sense of the characters (energetic, vibrant, impulsive, swear-happy Maya vs calm, observant, more reserved skye), and there are some truly beautiful lines (when you trust someone not to hurt you, red flags look heart-shaped” actually murdered me). The pacing was excellent, which I’m sure was helped by the premise. When you have a different episode to shoot every week, there’s always a sense of movement and something going on.

4. Ok no spoilers but there were some TWISTS in this toward the end that I did NOT see coming and blew my mind a little. We had some game of thrones style plotting and counter plotting going on for a chapter or two there and I was living for it. The whole book was fun, but this section around the finale episode was my favorite part. Also, the plot itself was really well-executed, and I didn’t see a lot of it coming. I knew in a general sense where we were going (obviously we know maya and skye are end game) but I thought one of them was going to fall for Jordy again, or get jealous over Jordy, and what we got was very much not-that, which made me very happy.

5. As a huge reality show fan, I was living for all the references, and the general satire of these shows. It never felt like it was being too cruel and nasty about them, though. Like, it didn’t resort to taking cheap shots at people who enjoy them, or people who go on them. Instead, it just amped up the ridiculousness of it all so the audience could laugh with Maya and Skye.

6. Speaking of Maya and Skye, the passion between these two was unparalleled. I could really see why they fit together, with Maya helping Skye to cooperate and team up and let someone else in, and Skye helping Maya to focus more on what she wants to do than what people think of her if she does it. They had all these adorable moments, and we can truly see it when they start to fall for each other, there’s so much tension and chemistry and goddamn LONGING, there’s so much good shit here.

7. The rep: the queer rep was marvellous. Maya and Skye are both out as bi by the start of the story, and we’ve got some great wlw / mlm solidarity in there, as usual. Jordy, Maya and Skye are all white, but in the side characters there’s South-Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and Black rep. I’ll note that I’m a white reviewer so can’t really comment on that rep!

Obviously, loved it. There were a few typos, but this was an arc, so I’m not factoring those into my rating.

Between this and The Charm Offensive I'm going to need Bachelor-esque romance books to become a bigger thing because I loved this! From the very first chapter, I couldn't put it down, wanting to know how things would end for Maya and Skye and I can happily say that the ending does NOT disappoint! Sophie Gonzales has just such a perfect way with words (and especially dialogue) that makes it so easy to imagine the story and characters playing out. And as a (guilty pleasure) fan of The Bachelor, this was the story I've been waiting to happen. Definitely a favorite of the year for me!

Sophie Gonzales has done it yet again. Never Ever Getting Back Together is a charming, drama-filled extravaganza that I couldn’t get enough of. Packed with Sophie Gonzales’ trademark humour and swoon-worthy romance, this is a can’t miss YA release of this year.

I always praise the way Gonzales’ ability to craft characters who aren’t perfect and often make flawed choices, but having the reader always understand exactly where they are coming from so it’s impossible to be entirely frustrated. This is definitely true here. Both Maya and Skye are well rounded, their perspectives and emotions explored in depth. You know exactly who they are and what they stand for.

The romance was, of course, fabulous. It takes its time building up, never feeling too rushed or underdeveloped. The attraction isn’t forced, the banter natural.

The reality TV aspect felt super realistic, scripted lines, fake emotions and all. The hijincks that went along with it were really fun. The way those fun moments and experiences, the extravagance, was paired with false reality really made it feel like a larger than life experience feeling that reality TV aims for. The essence is captured perfectly.

This is my fifth book from Sophie Gonzales now, and my fifth 5 star for her. She is truly just exceptional. If you need a sapphic romance filled with the shocks that come along with reality TV (and you DO need it, believe me), look no further.

OH my god. This book was so perfect. The concept, the characters, the writing.... everything. I loved how unique it was and I found that I was intrigued the entire time. I really fell in love with the characters and found myself routing for them the entire way through. This book was a real page turner and the humour was perfect! I will definitely be recommending this to my friends. 4.5/5

This was such a FUN book!! Maya was WAY too good for Jordy from the moment we met him. Moving on and getting revenge all in one fell swoop, yes please!! This is an incredibly cute love story and I am fully on board!! I have never wanted to watch a reality dating show more.

Sophie Gonzales does it again! This time she takes us behind the scenes of a reality dating competition where two of the contestants fall for each other instead of their evil ex. It's a charming, funny, wonderful story--perfect for anyone who loves the pulpy drama of reality TV but always wished they were queerer.

What happens when the ex-girlfriends of a faux royal are tossed together onto a reality TV show where they date him again in an attempt to win back his affection? Probably not what you’d think.

Never Ever Getting Back Together is a charming novel about the power of female friendship and reclaiming your story and dignity. It’s also a super cute and unexpected love story. From the very beginning of the book, I adored Maya. She is witty and sarcastic and made me laugh out loud many times. Skye is sweet, if somewhat naive, and I loved watching her straighten her spine and not allow herself to be walked over by the end of the novel. Both of these girls have my heart and I want to be the third wheel on all of their future adventures.

The love story that develops between the girls is tender and lovely. I am not usually one for an enemies to lovers trope, especially when miscommunication/misunderstanding is the basis for the rivalry, but Gonzales does it in a believable way that didn’t feel contrived for a plot point. The portrayal of Jordy gaslighting Sky, Maya and the other girls into believing his altered version of their history rings true to the experience of having a toxic partner who wants to paint themselves as a victim in a relationship in which they are very much the villain. I loved that Skye and the other girls were eventually able to see past his facade and recognize him for the cheating dirt bag that he is.

The backdrop of a reality TV show with all of its unglamourous behind the scenes moments was something I thoroughly enjoyed. As consumers, we only see the polished product that producers present, but it is much more entertaining to take a peek behind the curtain and see what goes into creating these perfect stories. In an age where most celebrities have social media and often use it to give their fans unfiltered, behind the scenes content (or content presented as such), I think our culture is trending towards a desire for more authenticity from creators and enjoy seeing our idols as more like us than they seem on our screens. The setting of this book gives the reader that feeling of accessing authenticity and intimate knowledge, even though it is a fictional show.

Overall, I thought the book was fresh and delivered the positive bisexual representation that is sorely lacking even in LGBTQ+ media. Sophie Gonzales does it again!

I was elated to have the publisher reach out to me for my option on this book. I don’t read a lot of sapphic books, but I adore Sophie and her writing so I was so excited for this. There isn’t a single character that’s in this book that isn’t fantastic (despite his obvious flaws, Jordy is still as phenomenally written character). Maya and Skye share narrating responsibilities and each girl has their own unique perspective to keep every chapter fresh. Maya is more of the rebel…she’s going on the show literally for revenge and won’t let anything stop her. Skye starts off still very much interested in a relationship with Jordy, but as the truth comes out she turns into an equal badass. Their relationship develops so naturally…honestly some of the best flow for a budding romance I’ve read in a while. The only author I’ve found other the Sophie that pulls this off in this level is Casey McQuiston. The humor is this is odd the charts and is the main thing that kept me rolling through. I was literally laughing out loud I’m the airport reading this. This is an honestly wonderful and fun plot and had me intrigued from page one and I’m very happy I accepted the offer to review this wonderful book

Loved this, finished it so quickly! A great enemies to friends to lovers romance that I couldn’t put down. Couldn’t recommend more!

I had very high expectations for this book and it did not disappoint at all!!! It was so clever and captivating, also the writing was just phenomenal. The characters were so enjoyable and complex, the plot was so well developed. I can’t point out a single flaw!!
I will never stop recommending this book!
considering myself a Sophie fanatic from now on:)
As always thank you Netgalley and St. martin’s press for my copy!!!

*happy, content sigh* I don't know what it is about reality dating competition-based romances, especially since I don't watch any in real life, but I love them and every one I've read was exceptionally well done, especially this one.

Never Ever Getting Back Together is a queer YA romance about a girl who "enters a reality dating competition to get revenge on her cheating, royal-adjacent ex-boyfriend, and ends up falling for another girl on the show—in fact, the girl he cheated on her with" and it's as good as the blurb promises.

It's original and unexpected with smooth, genuinely hilarious writing. I loved the characters - though everyone had a vivid personality, none of them succumbed to stereotypes - and they felt real. (I definitely have known a narcissistic charmer like Jordy in the past.) The conflict was believable. It was such a pleasure to read, I didn't want it to end.

Oh my gosh, I loved this book so much! So much wit and heavy sarcasm and women sticking together. I loved the progression of all the characters, especially Skye and Maya, and I already want to read it again. We need more books like this! More honest, sarcastic and realistic books where women don’t need to be pitted against each other, even in a reality competition show. Love love love!

This book is so much fun. You will love to hate the male lead and love to love all the women. It's funny, romantic, and irresistible.

Can’t remember the last time I had so much fun reading something. This was a delightfully enjoyable queer romcom about very cathartic revenge/scheming, learning to be vulnerable, and falling in love with someone who actually deserves you. It’s Princess Diaries meets John Tucker Must Die, and I very much loved the heart of it all. Great characters, great romance, great banter, great vibes. Highly recommend!

As a Taylor Swift fan, it was hard not to love the title of this book and instantly request it!

BUT what I did not expect was to love this book as much as I did. I am not one to give five stars easily but this book was such a great presentation of bi characters that I really want everyone to read it! I cried and laughed in a span of five minutes. Sophie's writing style is nothing short of beautiful and her ability to make you feel emotion is just something I am always in awe of!

Would HIGHLY recommend!

Did I read this in less than 24 hours? Absolutely yes.

I won't say too much, since this isn't out for a while yet, but I ADORED this book. You know how you start watching a show like The Bachelor, or Love Is Blind, and you simply cannot look away from the drama and chaos? That is the exact experience I had reading this book. I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. The concept managed to be fresh while also being familiar, and it was just so FUN? I couldn't stop laughing and cringing in the best way. Jordy is so much fun to detest, and Maya/Skye's hate-to-love arc was just the best. I love them together, and I'm so glad everyone got what they deserved in the end (hehehe). Plus! Both Maya and Skye were just unashamedly, openly bi and I loved that so much!

Do not miss this one!!!

I am super picky when it comes to romcom-esque books, but this one checked all the boxes! It was wonderfully funny with just the right amount of drama and romance. I had never read a book by Sophie Gonzales before this, but now I want to pick up every book that she's written. I enjoyed it SO MUCH, could not put it down for more than an hour. Also, absolutely LOVE the title and have been singing Tay Swift nonstop now.

Pick this one up if you get the chance. It's so, so worth it.

I. AM. OBSESSED. I'm getting Red White & Royal Blue meets The Bachelor vibes and I'm LIVING for it. Plus the queer rom com representation? Give us more! I stayed up waaaay too late finishing Never Ever Getting Back Together (cue Taylor Swift song) because I was just so into the story and the charcaters. Maya & Skye are EVERYTHING - so glad this book is written in their dual POV. This is a fun summer read for sure - you'll be laughing out loud and getting that warm fuzzy feeling. And of course shaking your head. Who doesn't want to get revenge on a toxic ex? And maybe fall in love with another one of your ex's exs in the process!

Huge thanks to NetGalley for the eARC.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, but honestly I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. The tension, the romance, the REVENGE, every single minute of it was perfection. 10/10

This was my first novel by Sophie Gonzalez and I requested an ARC on a whim because hello, T Swift inspired title? And I am so delighted I got the chance to read this. John Tucker Must Die meets the Bachelor (2 of my guilty pleasures) but make it sapphic. This story was adorable and fun and funny and the secondhand embarrassment Maya was giving me in the first few days of filming quickly turned into giddy excitement and Maya and Skye slowly started to fall for each other. I absolutely adored Maya and Skye and this was such a treat to read.

I am a big fan of Sophie Gonzales' work and this one did not disappoint at all! I am a big reality TV fan and so I thought the premise of the show was fascinating. The humor was on point throughout the novel and I loved the journey of all the contestants in the show, not just Maya and Skye.

This is a fantastic book with compelling characters and entertaining dialogue. I would highly recommend this book to readers looking for sapphic romance!

Sophie Gonzales never misses!

The premise was so fun and done, I thought, believably and well. The ending was also satisfying and stemmed naturally from both Maya and Skye's characters and arcs, and I loved how Jordy was able to get what he deserved at the end as well.

Maya and Skye were both distinct characters with strong arcs and strong development and recognition of their flaws. Gonzales is expert at writing realistically flawed characters who mess up, sometimes dramatically, but whom you still end up rooting for. I also liked Skye and Maya's relationship and how after the truth came out there was no pettiness and they were able to reconcile easily, understand each other, and work together. I liked how they fit together and tempered each other's flaws and weaknesses.

I loved how developed the side characters (specifically the other girls) felt and how their relationships with both Maya and Skye progressed. The 'never have I ever' Jordy version scene was so clever and made me laugh. On that point, Gonzales's writing style is so conversational and natural, distinct to each character, and funny! I always enjoy reading it.

Overall, another hit from Sophie Gonzales. I will read anything this author writes.

I think this is my favorite book of Sophie Gonzales's yet. I binged this book in two days, so yeah, everyone needs to read this immediately.

I connected with Maya from the very first chapter. It was easy to see myself in Skye, too. I loved reading about their romance, and their revenge. And I just want everyone to know that Sophie Gonzales has succeeded in getting me to hate a fictional character with my entire physical being. Because yes, I hate Jordy Miller that much.