Urban Foraging

Find, Gather, and Cook 50 Wild Plants

Pub Date 21 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 21 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #UrbanForaging #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Take a stroll to discover the ingredients for a wild apple tarte tatin. Turn the lilac bush found in a vacant lot into a delicious, delicately flavored jelly for your morning pastry. Your city is full of wild food, you just need to know where to find it.

In this stylish, scrumptious guide to wildcrafting in the city you’ll learn how to find, identify, harvest, and cook with 50 common wild plants, such as chickweed, dandelion, echinacea, honeysuckle, red clover, and pine. Urban Foraging, by expert forager Lisa M. Rose, shares all the basics necessary for successful foraging: clear photos that help identification during harvest, tips for ethical and safe gathering, details on culinary uses, and simple recipes will help you make truly fresh, nutritious meals.

This was such a pleasant and quick read and I definitely will be purchasing a hard copy to take around with me here in the woods! The photos of the different plants were so beautiful and I loved the layout and the information given. This book gave me some great inspiration on some things for me to plant as well!

Thank you so much to NetGalley, Timber Press, and the author Lisa M. Rose

I love how neat and well-organized the presentation of this book is!

Love the cover. Love the real pictures and I get to know a lot more herbs and plants which can be used for culinary purposes.

The best part is most of these plants are familiar and I love the information about them given in this collection.

You will love this.

Thank you, Timber Press, for the advance review copy.

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is an interesting book about foraging. There are tips about what to look for and how to safely forage. The book lists common wild edible plants and has a few recipes to try them in. Some are definitely time intensive or hard to find, but there's a lot of interesting information.

It's a thorough book to look through.

What a clever and useful book!

Lisa M. Rose's Urban Foraging guides the reader through various forgeable plants, their uses, identifications and even a recipe or two for each. I will certainly be keeping this book in mind for future use as I have been itching to learn about foraging.

Clear photographs and descriptions of each plant are very useful and I appreciate the recommended reading at the end.

I have some exploring to do!

Thank you so much to NetGalley, Timber Press, and the author Lisa M. Rose for the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for a review!

Foraging is a fascinating hobby and this guide makes it accessible to people who live in urban areas as well. Check out this book to learn about the edible plants in your neighborhood!

This is great and seems super helpful, planning on buying a physical copy of this for our garden this year. Lots of information.

With clear photos and descriptions of each plant listed within Urban Foraging I find that this book would be very useful to someone who is first jumping into the world of foraging. The included uses and recipes help elevate the learning experience and helps the newbie put their newly acquired knowledge into action.

I do think there needs to be a few more warnings of dangerous lookalikes - but overall I think the book is well written and will help many new foragers get excited for this new adventure.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Timber Press for the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Now that we've left the city life and retired in the country, I'm learning a lot about what grows in our yard that's useful for food, medicinal, and other herbal uses. I let our yard grow out an extra month this year and found at least ten spring herbs that are growing in our yard. Learning about foraging has been very informative and that's why I was glad to be able to review this book.

The author discusses 50 common urban plants that can be foraged from most any place. In urban settings, most of these plants are considered weeds. We don't use that word anymore in our house because all those plants we were trying to kill in the metropolitan area we used to live in are really helpful plants with medicinal uses. The author does address issues like knowing what plants are and are not safe as well as knowing the history of the land where these plants are growing. She suggests a list of tools that one might want when foraging and plants to look for in different season.

Each plant is identified with a lovely color photograph, a description of what culinary uses the plant is used for, how to identify the plant, some considerations, and a recipe, in most cases. While I find the photos of the plants very appealing, I would have liked to have had some more details visible to be able to identify the plant with more certainty. When foraging, I would suggest having alternative identification apps or books so that you will have 100% certainty about the plants that you are harvesting.

Urban Foraging has a list of 50 plants to get you started on your way to foraging for plants in the your area and there are so many others that you can add when you're ready.

If you need inspiration in your foraging adventures, look no further! Bright pictures, key information and recipes invite you on foraging wherever you are. I liked the emphasis on being aware of how much you are picking and where you are foraging from. I do however wish there had been slightly more detailed descriptions of the plants, as well as information on any lookalikes, to help really clarify exactly what plant you are gathering, before you attempt eating it.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy. All opinions are my own.

An interesting and informative book if you want to learn about foraging. There's plenty of information and it can be an excellent started guide.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine

I really enjoyed this book! I enjoy foraging and I love when people realize that a lot of the "weeds" in their yard can actually be used to make food, medicine, and cosmetics. A couple of notes: I didn't see a picture of goldenrod in the book; the author talks hyssop flowers but only shows the leaves, not the flowers; and she shows the pine needles but not the specific pine tips used in the recipes. I know it sounds nitpicky but foraging can be dangerous if you mess up identification, so the more pictures, the better. Other than that, an enjoyable book that's very useful!