Siege

An American Tragedy

Pub Date 30 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 20 Aug 2022
Bartholomew & Co., Inc., Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles

Talking about this book? Use #Siege #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Siege: An American Tragedy delves into the uprising that shocked the world—the January 6, 2021 storming of the US Capitol by insurrectionists bent on keeping President Donald J. Trump in power.

Unlike other books, which have focused primarily on the actions of the defeated president and those close to him, Siege vividly recounts the experiences of those trapped inside the Capitol on January 6, 2021—their terror and their courage—and the selflessness of the police officers who risked their lives to save them. Siege also explores the personal histories and motivations of several of the Capitol's invaders.

Meticulously reconstructed from exclusive interviews, congressional testimony, videos, court documents, FBI affidavits, transcripts, and reported text, SIEGE: An American Tragedy, often reads like heart-pounding fiction. But it happened. Much of it, right before our eyes. And, as the final chapter of the book demonstrates, if we fail to learn from the events that led to it, there will be a next time. And we might not be so lucky.

Unlike...

A Note From the Publisher

ebook: 9780983992233

ebook: 9780983992233

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Wow. Informative and infuriating. I've purposely avoided most news since 2016 and didn't know the substance of what the conspiracy theories claim, nor have I watched much about Jan 6. Now I'm in utter shock. I was riveted and finished this in a few hours. It takes us into the Capitol, onto the front lines with the officers, and introduces us to several of the terrorists. Finally, it lays out the issues surrounding the fate of democracy, such as it is, in the US. Very well researched; both thought-provoking and enraging.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book.

An eye-opening, disturbing read. Even though I watched the storming of the U.S. Capitol, reading all the details from start to finish, learning of all the miscues and delays in response and preparation, it is still jarring and at times unbelievable that it even happened. Bartholomew captures the horror of the day quite eloquently, so much so that it's hard to not read even as you get filled with shock at what happened. An excellent, emotionally gripping book.

Siege by Anita Bartholomew carries the sub-title An American Tragedy. To anyone who loves the USA and believes in democracy, the events in Washington DC on 6 January 2021 were a very real tragedy and this extensively researched, superbly written and powerful book exposes just how close the rampaging mob of Trump supporters, encouraged by the outgoing president and a motley collection of lawyers, right-wing media pundits and conspiracy theorists, came to overthrowing the legitimate result of the 2020 presidential election. Like millions in the USA and around the world, I watched the live television images from the Capitol building on that awful day initially with incomprehension and then with mounting horror but the television cameras could not capture everything that was going on inside the building. This book helps paint the full, shocking picture. One particular image from the book resonated massively with me. A battered and exhausted Capitol Police officer, who had battled the invading mob for hours, was able to rest after the building was finally cleared. He sat on a bench in the Rotunda, reflected on the horrors he had seen and experienced that day, and cried out in anguish “Is this America?”

There is no doubt which side of the “insurrectionists or patriots?” argument Anita Bartholomew is on but the way she marshals and presents impeccably resourced facts add weight and credibility to her account. The impression I got from this book is that it is written with a tightly controlled fury (which only very occasionally spills over into explicit outrage) and this makes the story it tells even more compelling. The book also warns of the challenges to American democracy which may still be to come - a very sobering thought.

An important and highly recommended book.

Considering the hearings that are going on about the riot on the Capitol, "Siege" gives background and understand, not found any where else