Unretouchable

Pub Date 13 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 31 Oct 2022
Lerner Publishing Group, Graphic Universe ™

Talking about this book? Use #Unretouchable #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

• Diverse Books: Feminism
  • SEL: A Self-Awareness
  • SEL: B Self-Management
  • SEL: E Responsible Decision-Making

A Note From the Publisher

Title also available as library bound for $29.32 (ISBN 978-1-7284-0166-9).

Title also available as library bound for $29.32 (ISBN 978-1-7284-0166-9).

Advance Praise

"Soulful, playful, and full of heart, Unretouchable is a timeless coming-of-age story set against the backdrop of our modern, digital world." —Aliza Kelly, author, Starring You: A Guided Journey Through Astrology and This Is Your Destiny: Using Astrology to Manifest Your Best Life

"Sofia has a magical eye and voice. Her ability to take something classic and turn it on its head is something I had never seen before her work." —Emily Meade, actor, Dead Ringers, The Leftovers, and The Deuce

"Written with empathy, wisdom and humor, Unretouchable makes us feel heard and understood. I couldn't put it down!" —Sadie Radinsky, author, Whole Girl: Live Vibrantly, Love Your Entire Self, and Make Friends with Food

Unretouchable was a pleasure to discover on each page — I loved the style and look forward to sharing this graphic novel with others.

Even though this is a graphic novel, it's very realistic and relatable. I could definitely relate to Olive and her self-doubt with all the pressure of social media and the "image" they want people to be. Hoping Sofia Szamosi creates a 2nd novel, I'd like to see what happens in Olive's future.

This book has TW- bulimia, food skipping, etc.

Thank you NetGalley for an digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

The art style is interesting. I like the realistic look in editing and fashion. This graphic novel is very realistic and I like that the main character isn't perfect and that she learns to accept herself. The story is great, wouldn't mind reading more on this subject. I would recommend to anyone who is coming of age and or going into college, or something new.

When I was a teenager, Amelia’s Notebook by Marissa Moss was my favorite graphic novel series. It taught me all kinds of valuable life lessons through the eyes of a fellow middle schooler, in cute quirky comic form. And Unretouchable? It's Amelia's Notebook 2.0, the perfect read for mature preteens and teenagers struggling with social media use, body image issues, and making art.

Szamosi has combined the magic of Amelia's Notebook with the artistic stylings of Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis. As a thirtysomething, at first I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of text on the page, but I quickly adjusted and stay engaged. I read the entire book in one setting, excited to see where it was headed.

This graphic novel is definitely predictable, but for its target audience, I think it's just right. I know plenty of family members and friends who would love something like this for their daughters! (Just keep in mind there are several mentions of disordered eating/bulimia/skipping meals here.)

My thanks to Sofia Szamosi, Lerner Publishing Group/Graphic Universe, and NetGalley for an digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved this Graphic Novel.
From the simplistic art style, to the overall message that Social Media isn't all that meets the eye, it lends an open and fresh ear to those of us who still try to stay true to ourselves in the era of FaceTune and other photo editing software. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone searching to find themselves in the digital world.

I enjoyed this graphic novel about body positivity. The message was easy to understand and well told. This was a neutral, feminist approach that didn't shove itself into your face, with an angry pointing finger. The art style reminded me of Persepolis, but more relaxed. This would be good for older middle schoolers and up. Adults will enjoy this, too!

TW: bulimia

I liked this thought-provoking (and sometimes funny) graphic novel. My pet peeve is when people discount the positive power of our phones and being connected, so I appreciated that the author took a nuanced look at social media. The artwork was charming and the narrators voice was relatable and engaging.

5 stars!!
Overall, this was an extremely easy read with a very important message. I think it's accessible for anyone to pick up and enjoy. It's emotional, but in a good way because you're able to connect with the characters quickly.

THINGS I LIKED:
The art style was awesome. It really sets the tone for the vibe of the book!
Speaking of tone, it was perfectly balanced between lighthearted and serious. I giggled a lot, but I also cried.
The inner dialogue and descriptions were so relatable and real. I could feel what the main character was feeling the entire time. It was super easy to connect with this novel.
My favorite character is Toni by far. She is amazing!!! I love how she and the mc are so supportive of each other.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:
None!!! I loved this book- excellent social commentary

Like Olive on her first day interning at FASH, I didn’t get the artwork for this graphic novel. As I continued to read, it hit me straight in the face how perfect the illustrations fit the storyline. I love learning new perspectives, especially with art. Although, this graphic novel is done in black & white, Olive’s personality fills the story with a wide variety of colors. As I continued to read the storyline, I was so engrossed it felt as if I were watching an anime. I like the Devil Wears Prada feel with a way better boss Giorgio!! Also, I am not sure what Smarty Panties are…. but I feel the need to get a few pairs now.

Fun read. The NYC setting is terrific! Reading about #BoPo Body Positivity was new for me and very enlightening.

Grateful to have received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley & Lerner Publishing Group, Graphic Universe

We follow Olive, a young student with a smartphone, constant social media presence, a cool trans best friend and tons of issues with self-image, as she starts a major internship. Five full stars for messaging, relatability and art style.

This gave me contemporary Bell Jar vibes, as the protagonist attends a fancy NYC internship that leads to self-loathing and harmful decisions, complete with the whole thing instagrammed. The sheer volume of deepfakery Olive encounters, and the narrative contemplation of what is false and what is true among the formative parts of our lives were really interesting, and the art was great. At one point Olive has an existential crisis over "having a body" at all, and I related one hundred percent with the dysphoria. By the end she has nearly lost her mind with constant photo retouching, and it really makes you want to touch grass.

I found this a touching and inspiring read - we could all use more realistic content in our lives, and probably less time on our phones too.

This Devil Wears Prada meets Confessions of a Shopaholic graphic novel is cute, cool and funny.
Thank you Lerner Publishing Group for the delightful digital advanced review copy.

CW: mentions of disordered eating (including bulimia/skipping meals)

Olive is obsessed with social media. She’ll take selfie after selfie and edit them, trying to fit the standard that she sees everywhere. To help get an idea about what the art world is like, she spends her summer before college at an internship. There she is going to learn from a digital imaging specialist at a major fashion magazine that changes her outlook on everything.

This was an incredible read that discusses how social media can affect us, body image issues, and making art. For its target audience, I could see this being a powerful book that helps them navigate these issues.

The look into the editing and fashion industry was fascinating. Despite knowing this, there was something about how the graphic novel presented it that made it all really sink in with me.

The art is perfect to get the messages of this graphic novel across. It took a while to grow on me, but as I got deeper into the story I realized that any other art style wouldn’t be as effective.

I would recommend this to those who are coming of age, starting something new, or are struggling with the pressure that social media puts on people.

Thank you to Sofia Szamosi, Lerner Publishing Group/Graphic Universe, and NetGalley for a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book was so relevant and important to our current struggles in society. In an age where everything and everyone is touched up, we need that reminder that to be authentic is not only important it is necessary.
I loved the grappling between wanting to work in art and wanting to stay out of contributing to the reasons for needing something like the body positive movement. I loved watching the main character grow throughout the story, we watch her go from not even acknowledging her real image to posting herself as she is.
I was left almost wanting to see what she does with her experiences and her life in the art world! I recommend this to graphic novel lovers who really want a story that is based in the real world and based off issues we are currently facing as a society.

What a welcome surprise! I am a big believer in spreading the message to youth about body acceptance and body positivity. This delightful graphic novel following a soon to be college freshman Olive who is interning for a fashion magazine retouching their photo shoots. It’s relatable and engaging. The art is attractive, cute, and bold. I enjoyed the snippets of journal entities, social media, and random labeling.
Not only is this a great way to start conversations with teens about body image and societies messages about bodies, it’s a interesting segue into the ever popular school subject about my fake news.
I will be recommending this!

Thank you to Lerner Publishing and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Unretouchable by Sofia Szamosi is an amazing graphic novel for fans of the art of Persepolis or the story of The Devil Wears Prada. The story revolves around Olive, who has just started an internship in the fashion industry helping someone photoshop and digitally edit photos. But in this image-conscious industry, can Olive learn to love her own appearance? And how will she navigate the ethics of retouching?

Overall, Unretouchable is an unforgettable story of fashion and self-acceptance that is like The Devil Wears Prada for the new, digital generation. One highlight of this book is the main character, who is brave and fearless as she navigates the modeling industry. Along the way, she confronts important issues like bulimia and photoshopping. This book is great because it has such an important message for today's teenagers. If you're intrigued by the description, I highly recommend that you check out this book when it comes out in May!

This was such a great book and a must read for any girl! This book is a beautifully done graphic novel that touches upon important subjects such as self-acceptance and body positivity. Media these days is loaded with images of what people are made to believe what they should look like in order to be accepted: How skinny they should be, what clothes they should wear, etc. When the main character Olive gets an internship learning how to alter photos for a photographer for media, her eyes are opened to just how unrealistic all the social media ads are.

This book is a great reminder for us all to not get so caught up in how society says we should look and to love and appreciate the beauty of our own bodies.

This graphic novel was so good, it follows Olive, a teenager who’s doing an internship at a digital imaging specialist (basically, the people who edit and retouch images for social media and that stuff).
It is a well constructed analysis of social media and how that can affect body image as well as self esteem. The digital era is now and we are surrounded by media and images all the time so I think this made a great job at describing that and sending an important message about it.
The art style is simple and a bit classy, I really liked it.
TW: mentions of eating disorders.