The Zero Night

A Jonathan Stride Novel

Pub Date 01 Nov 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheZeroNight #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A woman has been kidnapped.

Now Jonathan Stride must decide if her husband wants her back … dead or alive.

After nearly dying of a gunshot wound, Jonathan Stride has been on leave from the Duluth Police for more than a year. When his partner, Maggie Bei, gets called about a suspicious abduction involving a local lawyer, she tells Stride it’s time for him to come back.

Attorney Gavin Webster says he paid $100,000 in ransom money to the men who kidnapped his wife. Now they’ve disappeared with the cash, and she’s still missing. Gavin claims to be desperate to find her—but Stride discovers that the lawyer had plenty of motive to be the mastermind behind the crime.

Even as Stride digs for the truth about Gavin Webster and his wife, he must also deal with a crisis in his own marriage.

His wife, Serena, is struggling after the death of her mother, the abusive woman she hadn’t seen in twenty-five years. When she loses control at a crime scene and draws her gun on a fellow cop, Serena finds herself kicked off the Webster case. Alone at her desk, she begins hunting through old police files and starts to ask questions about a mother’s death that was written off as suicide. That death haunts Serena like an echo of her own childhood—but her obsession with it takes a terrible toll.

As Serena shuts him out of her despair, and his own investigation grows increasingly tangled, Stride wonders whether going back to his detective work was the right decision. But all he can do is keep moving forward. Because Stride fears the Webster kidnapping may be only one part of a horrific murder conspiracy.

And it’s not over yet.

A woman has been kidnapped.

Now Jonathan Stride must decide if her husband wants her back … dead or alive.

Marketing Plan

Bookseller and library trade show marketing

...

EDITION Hardcover

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Wow! Great book! This book had a bit of everything!! It had suspense, intrigue, action, murder and so many twists and turns! The storyline was very very interesting and kept me glued to my kindle! The crazy twists definitely got me good! Oh and I was so happy about the dog at the end!! That was awesome! I highly recommend reading this book! Its definitely one of my top favorites! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

Brian Freeman just continues to stun me with this series. This latest STRIDE book is as good as any of the previous books, and I think the best of the previous couple of books. GREAT story, all subplots just as intriguing as the main story, and of course simply phenomenal characters with depth. This one deserves more than just 5 stars in my opinion!

The eleventh full length novel in the Jonathan Stride series adds another exciting story to my favorite series. With timeless page turning and a family of characters, I feel this is a thriller treat.

This story has emotional aspects that keep it tense throughout. I’ve been pretty good with perp hunting on his books lately but seeing everything unfold remains very suspenseful. I hope the next Stride book is sooner than later!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity in exchange for an honest review.