Where We Come From

Pub Date 04 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 31 Oct 2022
Lerner Publishing Group, Carolrhoda Books ®

Talking about this book? Use #WhereWeComeFrom #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

We come from stardust / our bodies made of ancient elements. / We come from single cells / evolving over billions of years. / We come from place, language, and spirit. / And each of us comes from story. In this unique collaboration, four authors lyrically explore where they each come from—literally and metaphorically—as well as what unites all of us as humans. Richly layered illustrations connect past and present, making for an accessible and visually striking look at history, family, and identity.

EDITION Hardcover

Send to Kindle (PDF)

What a beautiful book of interconnectedness. Talking about how our ancestors and cultures of this world have shaped and molded each and every one of us. All cultures depicted were depicted favorably….and many cultures featured. This book did not shy away from tough topics like slavery and the relocation and reeducation of Indiginous people in North America, so it could definitely evoke fabulous conversations in the upper elementary grades. Well done!

This was STUNNING! A book about the significance of where we come from.
The illustrations were all full of life and well thought out to convey meaning. I would often want to stop and just stare at an illustration before moving on with the story. I fully support taking your time with this book and taking it in.
The words are also full of meaning. Words that feel earned and help connect the reader with the world around us. It was powerful. I, as an adult, felt a little moved to tears by this simple book. I recommend it to all ages!

This is amazing, the illustrations are gorgeous. It tells the story of people who come from different places, who have different stories and backgrounds and it does it in a beautiful way. Apart from the illustrations and poem it has a little bit of history and descriptions of the different events that are mentioned in the poem. Highly recommend.

This book is filled with beautiful illustrations and beautiful words about where different people who inhabit the Americas come from.
I loved these layered illustrations and layered stories.
A beautiful book that needs to be added to every library and school.

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC!