Everything Changes

And That's OK

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 25 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #EverythingChanges #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Change is all around, but it can be overwhelming! Explore how change exists everywhere in a way that is natural, and even beautiful, in this vibrantly illustrated book with fun rhyming couplets, for children ages 3 to 7.

The moon is full, but then it’s gone,
chased away by the dawn.
Stars that shine all through the night
disappear in morning’s light.

Everything changes, night to day.
Everything changes, and that’s OK.

From an apple seed growing into a brilliant tree to a child watching a family member grow old, this book offers a thoughtful look at why change doesn’t always have to be negative and can instead be observed with appreciation. It poetically presents a story that prompts kids to recognize and adapt to the change they see in their daily lives.

This beautiful exploration of impermanence is accompanied by vibrant illustrations that explore every corner of the world, from rolling fields in Tibet to the cozy, fireplace-lit living room of a family member's home. The illustrations remind children that everything changes no matter where you are, no matter who you are, and that's all right.

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Everything Changes is a must-have book for parents wanting to raise happier children. The illustrations are beautiful too. I cannot recommend it enough! Maureen Healy, author of The Emotionally Healthy Child and The Happiness Workbook for Kids

Such a beautifully book that reminds us that change is just around the corner, but that's okay. Especially with children who have so little control on the big decisions in their lives. I love the concept and the way it is written.

This rhyming picture book repeats the message that change is constantly happening all around us and reaffirms that change is alright. Using real life examples of growth and changes in plants and animals, with the changes of seasons or night and day, the book confirms that changes happen often and that they are a good thing. The message is clear and is stated very positively, in hopes that anxious children will see that while change may seem scary it is natural and everything will be ok. The soothing rhythmic beat to the story and the calming illustrations will also likely help with that. I also love that the settings are all over the world and include a variety of people and animals, demonstrating that we all have to deal with change and hopefully sharing scenes that may look familiar to the children reading this book. While the text is repetitive and predictable (in a good way!) it can be read as part of shared reading or some children may be able to read it independently as well. For some children, hearing the same message repeated will be helpful, and for others, being able to pull the book out and read it as needed would be good too. There are also lots of positive affirmations that could be said in stressful times. I could definitely see myself purchasing a copy of this book for my grade 3 classroom library. I would recommend this book to parents of children in the age 3-9 range. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book!

This was such a lovely story about impermanence that even young kids can understand.

My children enjoyed the rhyming verse and the sweet message. The illustrations are colorful and depict children and animals from all over the world. The author’s note at the end adds more context to the content of the story.

This book is a great addition to a home library that supports the development of the whole child.

Thank you to Shambhala Publications and NetGalley for the advance reader copy!

An excellent book on the fact of impermanence and how mindful awareness can help one to embrace and enjoy the process of change, even if it comes with difficulty.

This is a lovely story told in rhyme about how everything changes ("and that's okay"). The illustrations are bright and happy, and there's a lot of representation of different children and places. The rhyme works well and is very sing-song and catchy, and the message is one that children and adults need to be reminded of. Recommended.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.

What a gorgeous book! I loved the beautiful illustrations and the rhyming text. A great reminder for children and adults that everything in life changes - and that's ok.

“Everything Changes” written by Carol Dodd and illustrated by Erin Huybrechts is a children's picture book, but the message within the pages is one suitable for ALL ages. This rhyming book is filled with gorgeous watercolor style illustrations and features q variety of landscapes, animals, and people of varying cultural, racial/ethnic and religious backgrounds. My only complaint is that disability is not (visibly) represented. Despite this, I would still recommend this book to others as a great tool for talking about how change is okay and a normal part of the human experience.