Something Wild & Wonderful

Pub Date 07 Mar 2023 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #SomethingWildWonderful #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From the author of Love & Other Disasters, named a "must‑read" by USA Today, PopSugar, SheReads, and Harper Bazaar, comes a sparkling grumpy-meets-sunshine rom-com featuring two men's sweeping journey across the Western wilderness.

Alexei Lebedev’s journey on the Pacific Crest Trail began with a single snake. And it was angling for the hot stranger who seemed to have appeared out of thin air. Lex was prepared for rattlesnakes, blisters, and months of solitude. What he wasn’t prepared for was Ben Caravalho. But somehow—on a 2,500-mile trail—Alexei keeps running into the outgoing and charismatic hiker with golden-brown eyes, again and again. It might be coincidence. Then again, maybe there’s a reason the trail keeps bringing them together . . .

Ben has made his fair share of bad decisions, and almost all of them involved beautiful men. And yet there’s something about the gorgeous and quietly nerdy Alexei that Ben can’t just walk away from. Surely a bad decision can’t be this cute and smart. And there are worse things than falling in love during the biggest adventure of your life. But when their plans for the future are turned upside down, Ben and Alexei begin to wonder if it’s possible to hold on to something this wild and wonderful.
From the author of Love & Other Disasters, named a "must‑read" by USA Today, PopSugar, SheReads, and Harper Bazaar, comes a sparkling grumpy-meets-sunshine rom-com featuring two men's sweeping...

A Note From the Publisher

For media inquiries, please email Estelle.Hallick@hbgusa.com.

For media inquiries, please email Estelle.Hallick@hbgusa.com.

PAGES 368

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This was a lovely read. I loved Ben and Alexei and appreciated the slow burn romance set along the Pacific Crest Trail.

Alexei and Ben may both be hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, but their reasons for hiking are vastly different. Alexei is hiking after being rejected by his family after coming out to them and is trying to find “Alexei 2.0” to move forward. Ben is hiking before starting a new career while also processing grief and moving on from a negative relationship. They run into each other along the trail and decide to start hiking together. And of course they build a strong connection on the hike!

This is SUCH a special book! Alexei and Ben both absolutely melt my heart and their relationship was a joy to read about. Alexei is so sweet that I just wanted to give him a hug. I loved reading the communication between Alexei and Ben because it was so mutually respectful. Hearing about Alexei’s relationship with his family and seeing it contrasted with Ben’s family relationship was heartbreaking. And the LETTERS!!! No spoilers but my heart could barely handle them.

I can’t recommend this book enough if you are looking for a tender, sweet love story!

Thank you to NetGalley and Forever for the advanced reading copy!

This book will live in my heart forever. Alexei was so incredibly special to me. Anita has a voice that I need more of so I hope they continue to write these heartfelt stories that give unique voices a chance to be heard.

I loved this book! I found Anita Kelly by way of Love & Other Disasters. I have been anxiously awaiting the next book by this wonderful author, and it certainly did not disappoint. I LOVED the banter between the two main characters. Additionally, some books are lacking diversity in the queer experience. There is no one way to come out, be queer, and find love. This is something the two characters must grapple with, and I loved that.

A wonderful, cute, read. As an avid outdoors person, I now feel drawn to go hike the PCT and find my crew.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I immediately felt kinship with Alexai as a neurodivergent spreadsheet nerd, who loves the quiet and connects with minimal people.

I loved Ben's huge open loveable heart, how he slowly but surely coaxed Lex out from behind the walls built.

I loved how the story, while predominantly following Alexei's journey, coordinated so well with Ben's own journey.

The love, which was somewhat insta but not..(I don't usually like insta love) just worked here. It's something many people do, when you've been broken hearted, and you lack confidence, it's easier to get sucked into the orbit of someone else. But it morphed into this super aware, slow burn love of absolute acceptance of themselves and each other.

There were parts that made me smirk, laugh and many more parts that brought tears to my eyes.

The author dealt with really heavy topics of grief and loss of family after coming out in such an excellent way, highlighting that not everyone gets their preferred family ending, but that the individual can be okay with support from friends, found family, therapy etc.

The spice was perfect; enough detail to feel their desires, mutual consent, their discussions of what they liked or didn't, while highlighting the intrusive thoughts that are normal.

I thought the pacing was excellent, at first when they came together around 30 something % in I wondered where the story could go l, and while I thought the PCT setting was done so well, by not shoving 'nature is the best' etc down your throats I was a little concerned that the day in and day out of the hike would get repetitive.

The author broke it down into parts and the letter section just broke me. There's something about being able to experience some letters being sent, and some just written, weeks apart showing the characters growth...

I'm going to be thinking of this book for a long long time.