Grateful Jake

Pub Date 03 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 01 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #GratefulJake #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A little book filled with big gratitude!

Jake had a scary time on the streets after getting out of the yard as a puppy. Once he was rescued from the Humane Society he promised to always be grateful for as many things as possible in his life.

Let Jake show you the way to being happier and more fulfilled in life by seeing all the many things for which he is grateful...and maybe you can find a few along the way as well!

Advance Praise

""Jake is a sprightly protagonist, and young readers will enjoy his energetic actions and thoughtful realizations. Hardy's tale will inspire kids to consider the wonderful things in their own lives. LL's robust illustrations offer delightful, busy scenes with vivid details."" - Kirkus Reviews

""There is so much to see on every page that children—and adults—will want to explore. Author Chris Hardy has written a must-have book for every school, public, and home library."" - Readers' Favorite

ISBN 9781956211016

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

There was nothing to hate about this book. I love that the main lesson is to teach children to be grateful. The pictures were very colorful. I liked that all of the examples show jake doing activities in a human like manner. Finding out that the book is based on a dog in real life that was adopted made everything better.

Thank you to the author and publisher for letting me read this book. Opinions were my own.

Honestly, what's not to love about this book? It's based off a real dog named Jake who was rescued off the streets by a kind person and then was adopted into a loving family. This book teaches young ones to be grateful for even the simplest of things: food, water, being able to sleep safely, etc. The illustrations are fun and colorful--so great for the little ones!

Thank you, BooksGoSocial, for the advance reading copy.

I would say the highlight of this picture storybook is the graphics. I just love it. And I want to add that the content is more beautiful than what I had expected from the cover.

It's the story of a stray dog who is so grateful to have a home.

Love it.

This book is a great one to teach children about being grateful for the little things in life. Very cute and fun illustrations of Jake the dog.

This is about a dog named Jake who escaped from his old home and got lost. He felt very hungry and scared but luckily someone found him and took him to the Humane Society. There he was taken care of and he was eventually adopted again. After this experience he felt very grateful for all the things that matters like playing, smelling, food, friends etc.

I think this is an very important books for young children to read that will teach them to be grateful for all the things they have. Plus, the illustrations were really adorable. I really loved this book. Highly recommend this one!

An cute story about a rescue dog and the things he’s grateful for in his home. Serves as a great reminder to stop and reflect about everything we have. The illustrations are adorable as well making meaningful connections to the text.

4.5 Stars
This is a heartwarming book about Jake, a little doggy, who is grateful for the things in his life. The book is about how we have so much to be thankful for and should learn to appreciate the little things in life. Our senses, nature, water, wind, food, home, friends, etc., are something to cherish rather than take for granted.
The book helps kids (and adults) look at themselves and their surroundings in a fresh light. The illustrations are adorable. Each page has Jake and his other animal friends enjoying the things they are grateful for. There’s a bit of humor at places to prevent the book from being preachy.
Jake got lost when he was just one year old. Someone found him on the streets and took him to the Humane Society. A part of the proceeds from the book will be donated to the society and other rescue shelter homes.
To Summarize, Grateful Jake is a lovely book with a gentle reminder to slow down and look around. To quote Jake, we can always find something for which to be grateful.
I received an ARC from NetGalley and BooksGoSocial and am voluntarily leaving a review.

This was a delightful story. The theme of gratitude was amazing. I loved that the dog was the main character. The illustrations were cute. Overall, a great book with a great message.

Grateful Jake is a sweet picture book for children introducing them to gratitude. Jane the dog got lost from his home but luckily got adopted. In the book he shows the reader everything he is grateful for such as water, being able to pick, being able to read, friends etc and he tries to think of at least one thing he is grateful for each day. This is such a great book to focus children's minds on instead of what they want, what they already have and how to be thankful and have gratitude.
I love the concept of this book and the illustrations are cute and fun! I loved the Gorilla as a security guard!

this was very cute and an overall great message. being grateful for the things you can do and what you have.

I enjoyed the premise of Grateful Jake by Chris Hardy, a story of a dog who finds truth in the ol' adage that the best things in life are free. From appreciating physical abilities, so the simple ability to think, Jake has found many reasons to be grateful.

While I did enjoy the story, the illustrations by Wally_LL, while fun and eclectic fell a bit short for me. It seemed as if some of the many characters throughout were not as well detailed within the same scene, and it came across as unfinished vs. giving texture. A bit of quantity over quality issue there for me personally.

5 I'm grateful to have read this book ⭐
I am always there for books about dogs and especially if they are about dogs that have been rescued.

Told by Jake who was lost as a puppy and gets taken to the Humane Society. He is so grateful when he finally gets adopted and shares with us everything he is grateful for.

This is a delightful little book for young and older children (maybe even some adults too) because at any age we might need a reminder to be grateful for all we have in life. See Jake is not grateful for material things, it's the little things that make a big impact for him. Things that some might take for granted, such as the ability to hear and walk, clean water and kindness. There's always someone less fortunate than you, so we shouldn't take things for granted.

There are so many things I absolutely loved about this book!
Most noted are:
~the nod to service dogs
~how maybe sometimes we aren't grateful for smell 🤣
~the address given to be able to write to Jake
~that Jake is a real dog and this is his real story
~that he has a company, Jake's World, that donates proceeds to well deserving charities.
~the all around message this story tells

The illustration done by Wally_LL (Osipova V) really brought the story to life.

This book is about a dog who is helping kids to learn about being grateful for the things that they do have and not wish for things that they do not have.

I love dogs 🐶 The cover of this book really drew me in. It's stunning and simple. The illustrations inside were very clever and funny but they made the pages a bit busy.

Though, I'm sure the target audience wouldn't be so bothered by this, I'm not sure how I feel about the mixture of both doggie and human behaviours. Sometimes he was just a normal, lovely dog doing doggie things, which I love.. Then other times he's reading a book on the beach or contemplating the universe 😂

Overall a very cute book with a good message about gratitude.

Grateful Jake is an excellent book to read aloud to children. The message is lovely, and the illustrations are sweet. The layout is a little busy for young children, so having an adult to explain the side notes is valuable.

***Thank you to NetGalley and Jake's World Words for this e-copy in exchange for an honest review***

Jake the dog got out of the backyard and became lost on the streets. He was picked up and brought to the human society where he was adopted by another family.

Some of the things Jake is grateful for are very relatable:

He is grateful he can read. Literacy is such a valuable skill. Check out this link that lets you know what the literacy rates are in the US by state (by the time you read this the percentages or link may have changed). You may be surprised at what you see.

He is grateful to have food. This is another thing we often take for granted -- the ability to just go to the grocery store that is fully stocked with anything we could ever want. Food deserts exist, and many people also face financial hardship with regard to what they can buy. Oftentimes it may not be the healthiest option, but they need to feed their family on that budget.

If you would like donate to help with hunger in the US, you can visit:

Feeding America

Forgotten Harvest

He is thankful he can smell. Some people are moving so fast that they forget to enjoy and appreciate the little things in life, like stopping to smell a rose, as the saying goes.

Jake is grateful for water. Another thing many of us don't think about -- constant access to clean water. Just recently, a water main pipe was leaking in the northern part of my state, causing water pressure to go down, creating the possibility for contaminates to get into the water. They sent out notices for people to boil their water before using it.

If you would like to donate for clean water, you can visit:

There are so many things to be grateful for: life, love, family. I'm sure you can think of many things in your life that you are thankful for too. The book does remind you to think about how everyday things are gifts and that we should cherish them, as we do not know what tomorrow brings.

Jake is thankful for much that one book cannot contain it, and Chris Hardy lets us know to expect a second Grateful Jake book in the future.

Such a cute little story. Children will enjoy looking at the different pictures and examples of things that Jake is grateful for. They will love discussing what the different animals are doing and may be inspired to draw their own version of this book with what they are grateful for. Lovely!

You always have something to be gratefull for and this is what Jake tells to us.

Jake is a rescue dog and he has a lot of things to be gratefull for.
When you are gratefull you will find so much more happiness in your life.
Think about the things that make u happy everyday.

This is my first book that i have read about Jake and i just love him and this story.
I want to hug you Jake!

The illustrations are colourfull and nice to see and to discover.
And it is a story that makes you think about the happy things in your life.

You can ask your children what makes them happy, also you can use this book on school.
Maybe they can make a list and take a look at it when Sometimes they feel sad.
It will be helpfull..
Even for adults!

This book is full of smiles!
Jake the pup learns to be thankful for everything around him after he gets lost and is rescued by the humane society. Through his experience he shows us what he is grateful for. Friends, water and play to name a few. The author even challenges the reader to think of what they are grateful for and provides space to write it out.
For a dog lover it’s even more special as you can see your pup in it and how you bring them joy and I think kids will see that too!
A fun read for kids and parents that can start a great discussion on what they are grateful for.

This was such a lovely book for children. I love animals and I love how this teaches gratefulness to children. It was so cute and beautifully written I can’t recommend it enough,

A little book filled with big gratitude!

As an educator and a parent, I have always loved children's books, picture books, and everything related to the proper growth and development of children. In the past, the problem was the lack of children's literature, but today choosing from the huge offer can be quite challenging. And that's exactly why I think that special attention should be paid when selecting the right storybooks for your child. We need to choose books that can be both interesting and educational at the same time.
When I saw the book for the first time, I was enchanted by the cute, colorful pictures that definitely attracted my attention, and then also by the messages that can be effectively conveyed through the simply composed sentences. And I think that this book would be a very interesting presentation that will help children develop empathy towards animals in general. Jake –the main character is really nicely chosen, a stray dog that offers children an insight into how those little animals on the streets feel. And I think that children should be introduced to this problem from an early age and should be able to understand the extent of the human influence on the fate of these innocent lives. It must be admitted that I had a hard time explaining to my little ones why Jake ran away/got lost from his home, why his previous owners didn't look/find him, etc. However, at the same time, it gave me an excellent opportunity to talk with them about the different aspects of having pets, different types of owners, and the different ways in which a pet can become stray. We also got acquainted with the concept of Humane Society-the organization that takes care of such animals. Even though discovering this aspect of life momentarily evokes grief, at the same time it broadens their perspective and feeling of responsibility. My daughter helped me clean out the cat’s litterbox, for the first time.
As for the parts of gratitude, in the beginning, it really bothered me because it was so short, but then we discovered that it offers the possibility to paint the pictures ourselves by giving our own examples, and supplementing the given examples, the given sentences...
All in all, if you are looking for a picture book that will make your little ones think and enjoy a beautiful story, shown through cute illustrations, a book that will encourage them to slow down and look at the world around them and be grateful, then you should definitely get Grateful Jake by Chris Hardy.