The Age-Proof Brain

New Strategies to Improve Memory, Protect Immunity, and Fight Off Dementia

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheAgeProofBrain #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“An absolutely fabulous, invaluable read!”
—Dr. James B. Maas, Weiss Presidential Fellow, former professor and chair of psychology, Cornell University

“A wonderful, life-changing book.”
—Brian Tracy, international bestselling author of Eat That Frog!

Serious mental decline is not an inevitable part of aging. You can boost your short and long-term brain health and significantly lower the risk of dementia—if the right steps are taken now.

Fifty million people have dementia worldwide, but it doesn’t have to be that way. We—not our genes—can control our cognitive destiny. Serious mental decline is not an inevitable part of aging. You can boost your short- and long-term brain health and significantly lower the risk of dementia—if the right steps are taken now.

In The Age-Proof Brain, scientist and popular speaker Dr. Marc Milstein reveals the secrets to improving brain function, which lie in the brain’s surprising connection with the rest of the body. Debunking common misinformation, he offers science-driven strategies in an entertaining, motivating, and easy-to-follow guide to:

• Improve memory and productivity
  • Increase energy and boost your mood
  • Reduce the risk of anxiety and depression
  • Form healthy habits to supercharge your brain
  • Prevent nongenetic Alzheimer’s and dementia

Dr. Milstein arms you with knowledge about common and often overlooked issues that prematurely age the brain (including the surprising truth about what doctors previously got wrong about Alzheimer’s and dementia), and shares a seven-day challenge to help you jump-start new brain-healthy habits. Small changes can make a big difference right away.

The Age-Proof Brain will provide the tools you need to ensure that you’re living a happier and more fulfilling life—today, tomorrow, and well into your future.
“An absolutely fabulous, invaluable read!”

“A wonderful, life-changing book.”
—Brian Tracy...

PAGES 240

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

An excellent addition to anyone's aging well arsenal.

I read few non-fiction books where I learn something new, especially in the real of health, medicine or wellness. That's not because I'm a doctor, or have any formal medical training, but because I've read thousands of medical and health -related books and textbooks over the last three decades of my life.

Ever since my teens, when someone near and dear to me passed away, I was in awe of the medical profession, and how I could better inform myself to prepare for life's ups and downs. Then, I was diagnosed with depression, and finally, an autoimmune disorder, so I decided to get my counselling designation, to see if I could help others come to terms with life's ups and downs, too.

While I've focused more on mental health in my writing and journalistic endeavours, I've always found brain health deeply intertwined with mental health -- so there are more than a few books like, "The Age-Proof Brain," on my nightstand. However, as I shared early in this review, few taught me anything new, or provided new insight that I could immediately put into practice.

Dr. Milstein has a storyteller's gift, and alongside their medical knowledge and experience, references studies (I'd yet to have heard of), effortlessly and gracefully. While the nuggets I gleaned were more useful as I moved through the book, and the storytelling stronger and more pervasive at the start, I found myself reading late into the night on several occasions - against the advice of the book. I just couldn't put it down, and for me, that's rare.

There's little I can find fault with in the book. I'd have loved a printable worksheet or checklist as some form of addendum, to take with me and review on a daily/weekly basis, but now I'm nitpicking. Highly recommended.