Scratching the Surface

Pub Date 01 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 15 May 2023

Talking about this book? Use #scratchingthesurface #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

For her whole life, Allyson lived with chronic eczema. At times severe, she was told the condition was incurable and doctors prescribed topical steroid creams to help manage the outbreaks. She learned to live with it. Now, well into her thirties, married and with a daughter of her own, life was busy and full of energy and seemed to be moving in the right direction. Until she stopped using the creams. Plunged into Topical Steroid Withdrawal (TSW), she faced years of debilitating effects that left her with increased loss of physical function, traumatic physical and mental pain and a greatly diminished quality of life. But through all the pain, a resonating within her of an undeniable truth emerged; that physical healing was only one part of the equation. That to truly heal, we must look deeply within ourselves to find the connection between our mind, body and spirit. Travelling through a narrative that speaks about mental health and depression, self worth and value, we can find a link to our own spirit and answer its call to live more authentically and with a full heart.

Scratching the Surface challenges all of us to look beyond our physical limitations and current situations to find a deeper connection to ourselves and who we can truly be. It encourages us to shift our thoughts, shed our fears and equip our minds for a different outlook and to believe in our own intrinsic value.

A Note From the Publisher

Health, both physical and mental, is a top priority in today's society and it's becoming increasingly important for people to be advocates for their own health. Information is more readily available for people to make well informed, conscious decisions and Scratching the Surface helps to shed light on the side effects of using topical steroid creams in the treatment of eczema. More than 31 million Americans suffer from some type of eczema with many millions more throughout the world. Patients come from all walks of life, from babies to adults, and eczema doesn't discriminate in gender, ethnicity or geographical region. Many of those suffering are now looking at ways to stop the dependancy of using steroid creams in their treatment and are hoping for support and guidance as they navigate through an uncertain situation.

More than simply a book about eczema, Scratching the Surface delves deeper into ideas and concepts that are relatable to many people's stories. Navigating through mental health and depression, questioning of worth and purpose, and contemplating how to live a life of more meaning, the book provides a roadmap through uncertainty for anyone faced with challenging circumstances. The book aims to provide inspiration and connection to those searching for answers.

EDITION Paperback