Chiles and Smoke
BBQ, Grilling, and Other Fire-Friendly Recipes with Spice and Flavor
by Brad Prose
This title was previously available on NetGalley and is now archived.
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add email@example.com as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 21 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 09 Mar 2023
Quarto Publishing Group – Harvard Common Press, Harvard Common Press
Ignite your grill and elevate your barbecue game with more than 65 unforgettable recipes that combine the big, bold flavors of chiles with smoke and fire.
It’s time to go beyond salt and pepper brisket! With Chiles and Smoke, professional recipe developer and pitmaster Brad Prose delivers a BBQ book unlike any other. Spanning beef, pork, chicken, seafood, and vegetables, each chapter also incorporates a variety of chiles, from spicy Jalapenos to bitter Shishito Peppers. Explore the alluring union of smoke and heat with recipes including:
- Beef and Lamb: Smoked Sonoran Chili, Harissa Beef Tacos, Coffee-Rubbed Tritip with Shishito Gremolata, Garlic Mojo Skirt Steak Tacos, Vindaloo-Spiced Lamb Lollipops, Smoked Lamb Barbacoa Banh Mi
- Chicken: Chipotle Tahini Grilled Chicken, Tandoori Butterflied Chicken Drums, Grilled Adobo-Rubbed Chicken with Creamy Herb Sauce, Grilled Chicken Tinga, Enchilada Wings, Bacon-Wrapped Cheesy Chicken Poblanos
- Pork: Crispy Pork Belly with Red Chimichurri, Chipotle Pork Belly Burnt Ends with Jalapeno Berry Sauce, Chile Verde Spare Ribs, Smoked Chorizo Meatballs, Roasted Chile Meatball Hero, Grilled Pork Tenderloin Al Pastor
- Seafood: Corn-Husk Wrapped Halibut with Jalapeno Basil Butter, Grilled Scallops with Charred Poblano Cream, Huli Huli Shrimp, Shishito, and Pineapple Skewers, Hatch Chile Smoked Shrimp Skillet, Tandoori Grilled Lobster, Planked Pomegranate Harissa Salmon
- Sides: Desert Deviled Eggs, Southwest Creamed Corn, Harissa Sweet Potato Salad, Creamy Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese, Lemon Serrano Grilled Summer Squash, Crispy Skillet Potatoes with Mojo Rojo and Verde, Chipotle Bacon Twice Baked Potatoes
In addition to the recipes, Brad walks you through how to char, grind, pickle, grill, and smoke chiles, demonstrating endless ways to liven up your meals. Sweet bell peppers are pickled with spices, topping mouthwatering meats and crisp vegetables. Fruity anchos are toasted, hydrated, and ground into pastes for flavorful marinades. Pork ribs are smoked slow and nestled into a stew of poblanos and bright vegetables before melting in your mouth.
Crank up the heat and bring these bold flavors to your next BBQ.
Available on NetGalley
Average rating from 7 members
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Chiles and Smoke is a great cookbook with different recipes involving, well, chiles and smoke. Great categories in the book; brisket, burgers, wings, ribs, seafood, salads, and sides. Beautiful pictures, great info on heat and how to use the chiles. Awesome instructions and easy to follow recipes.
The Ancho-Orange Pulled Pork, Cheesesteak Queso, and Grilled Chicken Tinga all looks and sounds amazing. I can't wait to make those and try for myself.
Three of my favourite things all rolled in to one great cookbook. Food, BBQ, Chiles!
I love this book for all its information, ideas, recipes and great photos. This is a book I will use regularly and will enjoy. My partner is a lover of the BBQ and he loves when I can provide some new ways of doing things.
It is a book that is easy to follow and easy to use and with so much useful information you can't go wrong. I love the rub recipes, the condiments and pretty much every recipe in this book.
All I can say now is YUM and I'm Hungry!
Quick Summary: A “when can I come over to eat at your house - I ain’t playing” cookbook
My Review: Chiles and Smoke: BBQ, Grilling, and Other Fire-Friendly Recipes with Spice and Flavor by Brad Prose is honestly a masterpiece. I loved this book!
As a foodie and a confessed amateur when it comes to barbecuing and grilling, I was a very ready pupil when I saw this book. This book lured me in with its title and kept me interested with its content. The pictures alone were worth their weight in gold. Reading through the inspiring pages was mind blowing.
While I knew I could learn a lot from this book, I never imagined just how nourishing it would be. It’s detailed, informative, entertaining, and yummy-licious. It’s so much more than I had in mind.
My Final Say: This book will definitely be going on my best eats food shelf. I even plan to give it to my grill-loving partner as a gift. Bon appétit, my fellow foodies! You’ve got to get this book as soon as you are able to do so.
Audience: Food enthusiasts and those who love and support the power of the grill
Favorites Shelf: Yes
Hard copy or e-copy: While both can be appreciated, I would recommend securing your own hard copy. This is certainly a book that should be experienced and savored in full. You will want to keep your copy in hand, trust me.
Other: This would make a fantastic gift.
Sincere appreciation is extended to the author, to the publisher, and to NetGalley, who provided access to this title in exchange for an honest review. The words I have shared are my own thoughts and opinions and have not been influenced by the aforementioned in any way.
* A Goodreads review has been posted.
Readers who liked this book also liked:
Henry Oster and Dexter Ford