The Most Magnificent Thing

Pub Date 01 Apr 2014 | Archive Date 09 Nov 2021

A little girl and her canine assistant set out to make the most magnificent thing. But after much hard work, the end result is not what the girl had in mind. Frustrated, she quits. Her assistant suggests a long walk, and as they walk, it slowly becomes clear what the girl needs to do to succeed. A charming story that will give kids the most magnificent thing: perspective!

Advance Praise

“It's a useful description of the creative process, an affirmation of making rather than buying, and a model for girl engineers.”— Publishers Weekly

EDITION Hardcover
PRICE CA$16.95 (CAD)

Links

How can I express how delightful this book is? I loved it. The writing had a wonderful flow to it that I can't quite describe. The illustrations were fun, and the colors all popped. It has a great message about working hard, dealing with obstacles, and overcoming stress--all without ever becoming too preachy. This is simply a fantastic picture book, and I would recommend it to anyone I could.

This book is a MUST read for all kids of all ages. It is about creativity, trying again and learning that sometimes walking away from a frustrating situation can be just the thing you need to gain the insight you need to complete a task. I loved that the story illustrated multiple attempts at making the magnificent thing, that is was not something that came easy, but took time, making changes, and then a long walk to create the magnificent thing. This is such a great story! I cannot wait to share it in my class!!!!

What a cute little book and I love the message. It's so sad to see young children suffering from stress and perfectionism. Sad to see them choose to "give up" rather than risk not doing it exactly as they "see it" in their head. This little girl's solution: step back, take a walk, come back, and get a new perspective. This is definitely a book I will give to my students to read on their own,. They will delight in examining the illustrations.