The Looking Glass Wars: CrossFire

Pub Date 19 Apr 2016 | Archive Date 05 Jul 2016

Rally the Chessmen! Wonderland is under attack!

Dashing rogue Ovid Grey, an ex-Milliner, is ordered to Earth by Queen Alyss and charged with recovering a shard of Heart Crystal that’s powering cross-realm riots of Black Imagination. He teams with a British secret agent and embarks on a quest that takes him from London to Venice, discovering along the way that, to succeed, he’ll very much have to act the criminal. Crystal shard in hand, Ovid returns home with the devastating intel that Wonderland is about to be attacked by the barbaric tribes of neighboring Boarderland. Ovid vows to fight for Queen Alyss, who activates the Chessboard; battalions of Chessmen take to the streets of Wondertropolis and beyond, occupying defensive positions. And then…

They come: axe-wielding Boarderlanders eager for blood, galloping in on the mutant jabberwocky known as jabbers.

Black Imagination, rampaging Rumble Makers, and the future of Wonderland: all are caught in the crossfire of this thrilling follow-up to the New York Times bestselling trilogy, The Looking Glass Wars!
Rally the Chessmen! Wonderland is under attack!

Advance Praise

“A triumph of imagination.” – School Library Journal

“Beddor makes ample use of Carroll-esque humor and wit.” – Publishers Weekly

"Beddor gives familiar characters new life and introduces interesting new ones …this comes to a satisfying cliffhanger that leaves the reader looking for more.” – Kirkus Reviews

"Fantastic battle scenes, plot twists, character interest and slow-burning love make this an ace read for both sexes." – Guardian

“A triumph of imagination.” – School Library Journal

“Beddor makes ample use of Carroll-esque humor and wit.” – Publishers Weekly

"Beddor gives familiar characters new life and introduces interesting...

Marketing Plan

-- Ten-city national author tour, including Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Chicago, Denver, Austin, Kansas City, Newark and New York

-- National and local morning show appearances. Author has appeared on: Good Morning America, The View, Good Day Atlanta, Good Morning Texas, CBS 2 Salt Lake City, KOMO 4 Seattle, Fox 10 Phoenix, Fox 5 San Diego, and Fox 9 Minneapolis

-- Massive social media video campaign, including a web-series of The Looking Glass Wars cosplayers, video from author's comic con panels, and behind-the-scenes footage from the hit Vimeo series Con Man featuring author Frank Beddor and his book series, and a one-of-a-kind VFX book trailer

-- Multi-week promotion, including contest and giveaways, in the Wonderland Portal, a weekly newsletter for over 30,000 Looking Glass Wars readers

-- Extensive digital promotional assets—including The Looking Glass Wars soundtrack—available for booksellers, librarians, and bloggers

-- Author featured at comic conventions across the country, including San Diego (130,000 attendees), New York (150,000 attendees), Salt Lake (70,000 attendees), and Denver (100,000 attendees)

-- Wide ARC miling with distribution at ALA Midwinter Meeting 2016

-- National and local morning show appearances...

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I love the Looking Glass Wars series and Hatter M graphic novels, so this Looking Glass Wars graphic novel was a treat. I wish I had re-read the Looking Glass Wars before I read it, though. I would suggest doing so if you haven't read them for a while.

I adore Hatter M - can't get enough of The Looking Glass Wars.

How do I even begin to describe this book? For starters, I would like to get this out there, I loved the story of this book. It was so stupid of me to read this without reading the rest of the series, but one thing I can compliment this graphic novel was how much I understood what was going on, even if I have not read the previous volumes. That's impressive. I love retellings, and I love Alice in Wonderland, which should be obvious by now, seeing my blog name has Wonderland in it. Okay, let's go back to what I was saying, I love retellings, but I haven't really read one for Alice yet. When I requested this from Netgalley, I was so sure I was going to love it, just basing it from the synopisis, and true enough, I really did enjoy this. There was so much rich details about the world. I loved how Wonderland and Earth work together in a discreet way. Of course, seeing this is a graphic novel with only 139 pages, there wouldn't be enough time to have character development. This had a little bit of it, but not so much, probably because I haven't read the other volumes yet (yes... I'm stupid like that. This is probably the third time it happened to me), so I'll definitely be checking those out and the books! There were a lot of really interesting and unique things to look out on this book, one of which is the relationship of each of the Kingdom Suits and also the main character, Queen Alyss, at least, I think she's the main character. You sort of can't really tell because all of the character had their own time to shine, which is very uncommon nowadays. Usually, books focus on one main character, the rest are expendables, but not in this story. One thing thought that I have to point out is that the illustrations might not be for everyone. Wonderland is supposed to be a place of wonder and magic, the illustrations gave justice to that. It gave the readers a feel of what it could be like in Wonderland. I can't explain how it looks like, so I'll post a sample here. There's a lot of strokes in the illustrations, which worked for me, although it can be a bit jarring sometimes. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Over all, I absolutely enjoyed this! I am definitely going to check out the rest of the books and the graphic novels! Kudos to the author for making such a great alternate version for Alice in Wonderland.

Wonderopolis offered a deal to the Borderlands, arms to defeat the rebels for trade and peace between the countries. Then assassins struck down Dodge, and it was found that a crystal shard had made its way to Earth. Secret agents determined that an invasion was imminent, providing just enough warning for contingency plans to be enacted. Plenty of fights, plenty of intrigues, and the continued development of the Looking Glass storyline.

I love the "Looking Glass Wars" series in regular print format. They are an amazing series that twists the tale of Alice in Wonderland. Beddor sees it as how Alyss influenced Lewis Carroll to write his story from her life, not as a retelling of the tale itself. Weekly, I receive a digest on graphic novels from Netgalley. I was hyper excited when last week included the "Looking Glass Wars" continuation. Thank you to the publisher for granting my wish. With The Looking Glass Wars: Crossfire, we go beyond Alyss's adventures and into her life as queen of Wonderland. For the obvious points: It is a graphic novel, so the meat of the story is not as fully fleshed out as a print format would be able to cover. Art is aesthetically pleasing in vastly different ways to every individual. Now that those points are out there, I can honestly review this book. I would recommend it to all while my actual enjoyment was mediocre. I was pleased with the characters and their plot development. There was plenty of background information with thrilling new adventures. We get a continuation of the story diluted down to a fraction of the pages, but none of it feels cramped. All the magic of Wonderland is still present. Their are thought-provoking conversations and a range of emotions for such limited space. The pages just fly by without realizing time has passed. What made the experience lackluster for me was the graphic embodiment of Wonderland. The art style is not my favorite as I prefer much cleaner lines and brighter colors. This is a completely personal observation for the book and no way detracts from the quality of the writing or story. Many may find the art appealing and heighten their experience. I want to make sure those who flip through it and dismiss it for the washed out feel DO NOT pass up the chance at a great story.