Naming the Stars

Pub Date 05 Sep 2016 | Archive Date 26 Sep 2016

16-year-old Mary-Louise comes home from swimming lessons one day to find she is absent from family photographs, her bedroom has turned into a linen closet, and all of her possessions have disappeared. More troubling, her family goes on as if she never existed. The only person in town who can actually see her is a boy she calls Fish, a YMCA swimming instructor, but Fish is hiding from a troubled past and the person he sees is entirely different from who she thought she was.

The girl he sees is entirely different from the insecure, unattractive girl Mary-Louise thinks of herself. The teens discover the photo of a spirited, beautiful young woman photographed many years before--Pearl--who exactly resembles the girl Fish sees. The truth about Pearl's identity is the key to discovering why Mary-Louise has disappeared and why Fish left home, but his fears of being discovered are preventing him from helping Mary-Louise, after all, no one can see or hear her.

This coming-of-age story explores the important and often fragile connection between the roles we play in others' lives--as siblings, children, friends, and partners--and the unique identity we must find in ourselves.

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781620072769

Naming The Stars 16- Year old Mary Louise comes home from swimming practice one day to find that her family are living their lives as if she was never part of the family. They can not see her or hear her and the only person that can is Fish a boy with a mysterious past. One that he wants no one to know about or to find out about. Fish internal struggle to keep his secret and wanting to help Mary-Louise. Will he risk everything to help this troubled girl? It is a coming of age story. One that portrays all the conflicts and feelings that everyone experiences in real life. Who to trust? how we feel about ourselves? And how we influence and effect the other people that are part of our lives.

This book was an easy read for the most part. Koefod wrote to the point, while using speaking images of Marie-Louise's world, and how it became not her world anymore. The storyline was interesting, and while it was confusing at some moments, that somehow added to the story. It needed to be confusing. The characters were great and relatable. In the end, the story seemed too hurried though. I would've liked it more rounded, more settling into place what happened in the ten years after the main story. Now it felt like everything ended halfway, with 'and after ten years, bladibladibla, the end!' as a substitute for a proper ending. I would still surely reccomend this book though, since about 95% of it was just incredibly good!

Not set

After reading the synopsis I was excited to read this book. And I wasn't disappointed. Good storyline, good character development, I loved this one.

Not set

Genre: Sci-fi or Fantasy Age Recommended: 11 and up The characters in this book were very well developed, and I enjoyed reading the book until the last few pages, where I felt that in a rush to end the book and wrap it up, the author made it too confusing. naming-the-stars ----------------------------------------------------- Mary Louisa Moura has disappeared. Her parents have no recollection of her, her possessions are all gone, and nobody can see her. Mary is terrified, desperate, and alone, with nobody to go to. Until Fish. Fish is a swimming instructor, and happens to be the only person that can see Mary. She begs him for help, and on the way learns that he has more than a few of his own demons to deal with. As if the situation isn't bad enough, Fish finds a picture of a person from about a hundred years ago that looks like Mary, and shows it to her, but it doesn't actually look like Mary. Mary now has completely different features, and learns that Fish never actually saw the real her. When Mary realizes that she isn't actually herself, how will she get her old life back? --

Naming the Stars is a magical read. It begins when main character Mary-Louise arrives home after swimming lessons to discover she's disappeared from her life. She finds she's invisible to everyone except for one boy, who she knows as Fish. The pair work together (mostly well) as they try to riddle out the mystery of Mary-Louise's existence (or not). What results is a journey of self-exploration, oftentimes winding and unpredictable. Towards the middle of the book, things get very muddled, reflecting the confusion of Mary-Louise, herself. As Mary-Louise and Fish get closer to solving the mystery, we are transported to a different reality, where all is revealed and resolved. It's a wonderful little book that weaves together identity, first love, and how we are shaped by the people in our lives.

I really enjoyed this! I loved the main characters and how the book was basically about them discovering themselves and learning to let go of the past. The only downside is that due to the nature of the book, parts were really confusing, at some places I was so confused trying to work out what was happening that it took away from the enjoyment of reading it.

This was an interesting read and I think it would be a great book for reluctant teen readers. It's a shorter story but the premise is engaging for both male and female readers. I think both the guy and girl characters would have the kids thinking "they're just like me" I also think author Susan Koefod has captured their frustration and angst about life perfectly. I've never read Ms Koefod before but I'll look to see what else she has written and see what other themes she presents for readers.