Good Behavior

The Letty Dobesh Chronicles

Pub Date 15 Nov 2016 | Archive Date 31 Dec 2016
Thomas & Mercer, Thomas & Mercer

Now a TNT television series starring Michelle Dockery.

Fresh out of prison and fighting to keep afloat, Letty Dobesh returns to her old tricks burglarizing suites at a luxury hotel. While on the job, she overhears a man hiring a hit man to kill his wife. Letty may not be winning any morality awards, but even she has limits. Unable to go to the police, Letty sets out to derail the job, putting herself on a collision course with the killer that entangles the two of them in a dangerous, seductive relationship.

Good Behavior comprises three interlinked novellas (The Pain of Others, Sunset Key, and Grab), which together form a novel-length portrait of Blake Crouch’s all-time favorite character creation, Letty Dobesh. This edition is the complete Letty Dobesh collection.

Now a TNT television series starring Michelle Dockery.

Advance Praise

Praise for Bestselling Author Blake Crouch:

“You never know where Blake is going to take you next.”

—Hugh Howey, Bestselling author of Wool

Praise for Bestselling Author Blake Crouch:

“You never know where Blake is going to take you next.”

—Hugh Howey, Bestselling author of Wool

DISCLAIMER: I received an advance copy of Good Behavior by Blake Crouch from the publisher through NetGalley for the purposes of writing a review. Blake Crouch is back in action with a new book/TV show. Once again, his literary work will be transcribed onto the small screen. In Good Behavior we trade the remote, mysterious wilderness of Wayward Pines for penthouses, beaches, and bikinis. Letty Dobesh is an on-again off-again thief/con artist with a semi-frequent drug problem. She has a child with whom she has become estranged, and often wrestles with the morality of her fugitive lifestyle. She wants to be a good mother, but dammit does she love being a thief. Good Behavior is actually composed of three smaller, vaguely related novellas chronicling Letty’s various adventures (to my knowledge, this is the full anthology of Dobesh stories). The Pain of Others is a suspenseful and violent account of a robbery gone wrong. We first meet Letty at the end of a job, slipping into hotel suites and relieving the wealthy of their phones, cash, and computers. Things take a turn for the worse when her mark returns a bit too early, forcing Letty to stow away in the closet to wait it out. While hiding, Letty overhears the mark hiring a hitman to murder his wife. What follows is a riveting tale full of violence and suspense as Letty copes with the moral implications of this information and the results of her choices. The ending of this one was absolutely unexpected and forces the question: are there some among us who are better off dead? Sunset Key is an altogether different experience, a much slower and drawn out story in which Letty is hired to seduce and rob an aging CEO of a failed tech company. Guilty of fraud, the executive in question is scheduled to be convicted and sentenced to a life of prison the following day. Without giving anything away, Letty’s place in the story is not all it seems to the reader, or to Letty. Grab is by far the longest of the three novellas, comprising roughly half of the total volume. It reads a bit like a novelization of a film from the Ocean’s Eleven franchise, which is not a bad thing. In this fast paced short, we follow Letty as she takes part in an exciting casino heist, while weighing the consequences and benefits of her outlaw lifestyle, as well as her struggles with drug addiction. Grab has the most character development for Letty of any of the novellas, and we get to see her in therapy really wrestling with some of her inner demons. It is worth noting again that Good Behavior is slated to become a television series, and the author’s notes after each story shed some light onto how we can expect the stories to change to better fit the narrative established in the show. As is with any on-screen adaptation, we may lose some of the depth in the prose in favor of a tighter 30 minute time-slot, but I firmly believe the Letty on the page will be more or less the same Letty we see on screen. She’s a very likable character with a complicated past and everything to gain. Crouch does an excellent job of making us root for her, despite her faults (and her willingness to embrace them). Overall, Good Behaviors is a very readable account of an interesting, dynamic character. A quick read, fans of Blake Crouch will find more of the same here: fast paced, tight prose with great descriptive language. Crouch has an uncanny ability to evoke a full scene without wasting any words, which is perhaps why his writing translates so well onto the big (or small) screen. I enjoyed reading this as I have enjoyed much of Crouch’s work, and I can’t wait to see what he turns out next. Also, I can’t wait for the show! -jackpwns

Made up of three novellas, each centred around con-woman Letty Dobesh, "Good Behavior" is a fantastic read, introducing a fabulous leading lady. Letty is smart, ballsy and a little devious - complex, interesting and very likable. Each of the three stories is fast-paced, action-packed adventure with a darker side (there's drug use, murder, abuse...) and yet somehow still a whole lot of fun.