How to Go from Idea to Done
by Charlie Gilkey; Charlie Gilkey
Pub Date 24 Sep 2019
Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #StartFinishing #NetGalley
Productivity Meets Purpose—Discover a Powerful 9-Step Method to Start Finishing the Work That Matters Most
How much of your time and attention lately has been focused on things that truly matter to you?
Most people's honest answer is: not enough.
Everyone is buried by busywork, responsibility, distraction, and fatigue.
The joy-producing, difference-making ideas are waiting for when the time is right, when the current project is over, when they have a little more money, when the kids are grown, or when they get a more understanding boss. They are waiting for someday.
The trouble is someday never comes on its own.
Start Finishing presents a 9-step method for converting an idea into a project by addressing the challenges you'll face and getting the project on a reality-based schedule.
The book will teach you how to:
• Practice the five keys that lead to self-mastery
• Build your success pack of supporters, guides, peers, and beneficiaries
• Keep working through the thrashing that comes with any project that matters to you
• Chunk, link, and sequence your ideas down to doable parts
• Use the Five Project Rule to prioritize your daily schedule and be at peace with the work you choose not to do
• Fly through drag points—how to deal with head trash, no-win scenarios, and other people’s priorities
• Heatmap your schedule so you do the right work at the right time
• Overcome cascades, logjams, and tarpits—the three ways projects routinely get stuck
• Finish strong—celebrate, review, and ride the momentum to your next goal
You are not incapable, wired to struggle, or fated to be unable to get your act together. With a few key steps, you can change the way you show up, how you plan, and how you respond when things get tough.
You can Start Finishing the work that matters most to you.
*Includes original contributions from Seth Godin, Susan Piver, Jonathan Fields, James Clear, and many other teachers.
"Charlie Gilkey knows you have little trouble beginning new projects. But finishing them? That's often another story. The good news is that Gilkey is here to help. His terrific book offers a 9-step program to turn those great ideas into finished products—and your dreams into realities." —Daniel H. Pink, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Drive and When
“Start Finishing is a brilliant handbook for professional excellence. Sure, it’s inspiring, but it goes way beyond the rah-rah to offer practical, doable, targeted strategies to actually accomplish what you may now think is impossible. Equal parts productivity guru, drill sergeant, and best pal, Charlie gives you exactly what you need to do your work with joy, commitment, and, most of all, to completion." —Susan Piver, New York Times bestselling author & founder of the Open Heart Project