Just Eat

One Reporter's Quest for a Weight-Loss Regimen that Works

Pub Date 02 Feb 2021 | Archive Date 31 May 2021

Talking about this book? Use #JustEat #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The New York Times bestselling author of Tomatoland test drives the most popular diets of our time, investigating the diet gurus, contradictory advice, and science behind the programs to reveal how we should—and shouldn’t—be dieting.

“Essential reading . . . This will completely change your ideas about what you should be eating.”—Ruth Reichl, author of Save Me the Plums

Investigative journalist Barry Estabrook was often on the receiving end of his doctor’s scowl. Realizing he had two options—take more medication or lose weight—Estabrook chose the latter, but was paralyzed by the options. Which diet would keep the weight off? What program could he maintain over time? What diet works best—or even at all?

Over the course of three years, Estabrook tried the regimens behind the most popular diets of the past forty years—from paleo, keto, gluten-free, and veganism to the Master Cleanse, Whole30, Atkins, Weight Watchers—examining the people, claims, and science behind the fads, all while recording his mental and physical experience of following each one. Along the way, he discovered that all the branded programs are derived from just three diets. There are effective, scientifically valid takeaways to be cherry-picked . . . and the rest is just marketing. Perhaps most alarming, Estabrook uncovered how short-term weight loss can do long-term health damage that may go undetected for years. Estabrook contextualizes his reporting with an analysis of our culture’s bizarre dieting history, dating back to the late 1800s, to create a thorough—and thoroughly entertaining—look at what specific diets do to our bodies, why some are more effective than others, and why our relationship with food is so fraught.

Estabrook’s account is a relatable, pragmatic look into the ways we try to improve our health through dieting, revealing the answer may be to just eat.

*thank you to Netgalley, Barry Estabrook and Clarkson Potter/Ten Speed Press for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review* 4 stars. Is this yet another typical 'diet' book where the author swears that 'this' diet in particular is the cure all? No. Instead this book goes over a whole heap of different diets that are out there and it has the authors personally experience with them. The pros and cons. He goes from one to the next to the next. The end result? Well, I won't say but I can say that I'm not at all surprised. I am extremely familiar with food and the mind/body connection has. I felt that it was also written in a way that made it rather interesting to read. It wasn't boring like so many books like that can be, so I can say I was pleasantly surprised by that. I think people can learn alot from this book and if they really read it, it could hopefully, change their lives. Chronic dieters who are stuck in the cycle of losing weight and then gaining it all back, then losing it again, only to, yet again, gain it back. Once you understand the very basics as to why this happens, then you can make the right changes and be done with the neverending and very damaging cycle. Highly recommended this.

I did not expect a book on diets and weight loss to be this interesting and this well researched, and was very pleasantly surprised while reading this. There's a lot of information, a good historical view of diets and the various weight loss methods that have been used over the centuries, all tied together with the author's experience that makes it a more compelling read. This is very relatable, interesting, and I learned a lot by reading the author's analysis of different diets and their effects.

Packed with more information than you ever knew you needed about a number of today’s most popular diets. Do they work? You’ll have to read this book to find out. It will certainly answer all of your questions and make you think about how the diet industry works.

The author begins a quest to search for the best diet for weight loss. He uses his experience as a journalist, food magazine editor, and all-around foodie to aid him in studying the history and usage of diets. He covers the major diets used for weight loss in America and tries them on for size to see if they are sustainable and successful for his own health. This book is so interesting. It was fascinating to learn about the history of dieting in the United States. I was familiar (and, yes, maybe had tried) with every current popular diet that the author described and tried. I have found myself discussing this book with others and thinking about its content within my daily life. I was especially impressed with how he wrapped the book up and what diet recommendations he gave his readers as a conclusion of his research. Not only was the information in this book fascinating to me, but it was also very practical. I had been contemplating and applying what I have learned from this book. The only caveat in my praise of this book is that I wished he would have addressed intermittent fasting. Perhaps it is not a diet but rather the opposite of one, it did not fit in the author’s research. Maybe a consideration for his next book? Thanks to Clarkson Potter/Ten Speed Press and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.