Innate

A Chance Dawson Story

Pub Date 13 Dec 2020 | Archive Date 13 Aug 2021

Talking about this book? Use #Innate #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The monotonous final day of Chance’s 6th grade year erupts when soldiers storm his school. Before anybody can make sense of what’s going on, Chance finds his brother boarding a bus and leaving with the very troops that turned his school to chaos.

The authorities claim everything is OK, and families shouldn't worry. But Chance isn’t so sure. He obviously won’t get the peaceful summer he had hoped for; the one he needed to help him get...better.

While Chance wrestles with a new reality, a man appears; a man only Chance can see. He suggests Chance doesn’t need to get better.

The man claims that Chance’s disability isn’t a weakness at all. In fact, it’s a power necessary to rescue his brother, and potentially the entire world.

Will Chance shy away from the man’s ludicrous challenge, or will he take a leap of faith into an unknown world and explore the depths of himself in doing so?

Advance Praise

"""It's rare to discover an original plot nowadays, but Carter has pulled it off with Innate. An engaging, action-packed blend of realistic fiction and fantasy ... Perfect for middle grade readers."" - Dianna Dorisi Winget, author of The Hidden Power of Dandelions

""The action is brisk...Chance's perceptions and adventures in the Unseen have speed, excitement, and wildly veering leaps reminiscent of playing a video game... The Unseen will remind some readers of the Upside Down of Stranger Things."" The BookLife Prize

""A wonderful read."" - Brian Gates, author of The Final Strain

""...intriguing and mysterious. The world-building is vivid, detailed, and realistic.... starts out really exciting and keeps readers intrigued..."" - Librarian Kira Moody

""...the greatest book I've ever read..."" - George, age 10"

Wonderful characters, interesting plot and very well written. Definitely an enjoyable if somewhat strange read.

So this was a short and fun read, I loved the character of Esri, and how he guides Esri throughout the book, and helps him rescue his brother, father and his brother’s friends. The best part of his help surely has to be the way Esri shows Chance how his disability is not a disability but a power, and the way Chance bridges with the characters is the best, this heartfelt book is a must read!

I really enjoyed this story and one of the things that I loved about it the most was how Chance’s disability – in this case epilepsy – was presented as an almost superpower. I am a paediatric nurse and believe me when I say that the author has done something very special with this book in creating a character that young people can relate too, who they can see going through the things they go through but also that they can feel positively about themselves and their disabilities – which really is a wonderful thing. That aside. The characters are well written, engaging and relatable, the narrative is well written and the writing is brilliantly gripping and emotional, I ploughed through this so quickly, a highly recommended read.

I was immediately hooked to the story line and drawn to the main character. I loved the mix of fantasy woven into more realistic fiction as well. It was a fun mix of fantasy and dystopian but with real life challenges, emotions and family dynamics ringing through as well.

Innate is an interesting middle-grade book about a boy that uses his seizures to enter another dimension called the Unseen. The story started out kind of slow for me but once it got rolling it was pretty good. The characters were well written and the plot is unique. There are a lot of unanswered why and how questions but if you overlook them it is enjoyable.

The monotonous final day of Chance’s 6th-grade year erupts when soldiers storm his school. Before anybody can make sense of what is going on, Chance finds his brother boarding a bus and leaving with the very troops that turned his school into chaos. The authorities claim everything is okay, and families should not worry. But Chance isn’t so sure. He obviously won’t get the peaceful summer he had hoped for, the one he needed to help him get better. While Chance wrestles with a new reality, a man appears. Esri, a man that only Chance can see. He suggests Chance does not need to get better. The man claims that his disability is not a weakness at all. In fact, it is a power necessary to rescue his brother and potentially the entire world. Will Chance shy away from the ludicrous challenge, or will he take a leap of faith into an unknown world and explore the depths of himself in doing so? This is a well written and well-conceived fantasy fiction book. It is specifically aimed at middle-grade, teens and young-adult. Delicately covering the subject of how a young boy copes with a disability. And how eventually, with a bit of help, he turns the negativity into a positive. I would say that this is character-driven, obviously though the plot is necessary for the scheme of things. You can feel Chance getting stronger physically and emotionally as the book progresses. It flows along nicely and does not leave you emotionally drained. Even if the beginning of the book is tough on the family and you do have empathy for them. But once you are past that bit, it is not too bad. Wouldn’t every child love an Esri as a mentor and teacher? I smiled big-time when Chance imagined the motorcycle. But that is all I am saying. No spoilers. There are plenty of thrills and spills to keep the reader entertained. This is an imaginative and intelligent idea. And I assume that there will be more. It is not a long book, but it is full of quality. Innate is heartening and encouraging and is worth a read for the feel-good factor alone.

When I heard about this book I knew I had to pick this up and I'm so glad I did, I've never read something quite like this before. And as i started reading i couldn't put the book down, i loved the writing style of the book i think it just fit the story perfectly and i loved the way the story went. I highly recommend picking this book up even if you're not sure you'll like it, I think it's worth a try because I loved it so much.