Dreena's Kind Kitchen

100 Whole-Foods Vegan Recipes to Enjoy Every Day

Pub Date 24 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 01 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #DreenasKindKitchen #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From veteran cookbook author Dreena Burton comes a collection of 100 dependable and delicious plant-based recipes that everyone will love.

Dreena Burton has been creating plant-based, whole-food recipes for more than 20 years. Home cooks know they can trust her recipes to turn out great—and to be delicious! Now, she has created this one-stop resource for making kinder, more compassionate food choices, for other beings, for the planet, and for yourself. Whether you need weekly staple meals for your family or want a dish to wow your friends for a special occasion, Dreena’s Kind Kitchen has you covered with these reliable, flavorful, and healthy recipes.

You’ll find a variety of breakfasts, salads and dressings, small bites, soups, entrées, and sweets, including:

Lemon-Poppyseed Muffins
   1-Minute Pasta Alfredo
   Crackle Blender Brownies
   Mango Carrot Cake
   Heavenly Baklava

Dreena also shares a cooking troubleshooting section so you can boost your kitchen skills. With helpful guidance on techniques, time-saving tips, and suggestions for repurposing leftovers into delicious new dishes, this dependable resource will boost your cooking confidence and help you find success in your own plant-powered kitchen.

Dreena Burton has been creating plant-based, whole-food...

ISBN 9781950665921

I am not a vegan as of yet, but due to multiple food intolerances vegan cookbooks actually fit my lifestyle better. I own several of Dreena’s previous cookbooks, and Plant-Powered Families is actually one of my all-time favorite cookbooks. Something this author does very well is recipes that are accessible for a wide range of people and tastes. She also always has very good hints and tricks to help you in the kitchen, and this cookbook is no exception. It’s filled with very tasty sounding recipes that do not rely on weird frankenfoods, and many of the recipes are gluten-free or easily made that way with substitutes. There are also plenty of photographs which I find very helpful in a cookbook. I’ve actually had this cookbook on my wish list for several months, so I am very thankful to have gotten this ARC. A few of the recipes I plan on trying ASAP are the Crackle Blender Brownies, Lemon Herb Chickpeas, and Gingerbread Granola. Highly highly recommend this cookbook! Thank you to NetGalley & BenBella Books for this advanced reader copy. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

I did not read Dreena's Kind Kitchen through an educator lens. Dreena's Kind Kitchen was well organized, easy to follow, and had beautiful photography. I was really excited to see the array of salad dressings that are different than most cookbooks and still healthy. Most of the recipes looked delicious and the ingredients were easy to access in small communities. The recipes had easy to follow directions and I appreciated the amount of photography within the book. I will definitely be making some of these recipes and sharing this title with others.

I felt like most of these recipes looked pretty good and the pictures throughout are stunning! The book is organized nicely, though it contains no nutritional facts. Some recipes contained more sugar than I would have liked and gluten and grains are used a lot, which I cannot eat, so I feel like many of the recipes do not work for me, but would work for most of the population. In general, the recipes included are healthier options than their traditional counterparts.

This is a fantastic resource for anyone wanting to eat a plant-based diet. It is full of delicious recipes and tips and tricks to live a healthy life. This is one I'll return to again and again. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy.

Very well done and well laid out book. The recipes were simple to follow without a bunch of off the wall stuff being used. There was a good sampling of different recipes also.

Dreena’s Kind kitchen was a good inspiration for vegan cooking. My favorite thing about the book: The substitutions and explanations. While many recipes contained ingredients I couldn’t find in my small Spanish town (see below) most recipes included helpful substitutions, explanations on why ingredients were important, and additional tips and tricks. This makes is a much more user friendly read for the average cook working with what they have. I wish EVERY cookbook did this. Our favorite recipes: The Novio loved the A-Game chili. I loved that it got my meat forward partner to eat a veggie packed meal and ask for seconds and thirds. My favorite recipe was what-amole, which taught me some wonderful tips and tricks to make guac a meal and stretch those expensive avocados to feed a crowd. Baby Duck (3yrs old) loved that this cookbook had me cooking a lot of roasted sweet potatoes which they could eat like candy. What I didn’t love: A lot of these recipes called for ingredients that simply aren’t available in my area. I live in a small ish Spanish town and, while we have several specialty food stores, there were still ingredients I wasn’t able to get my hands on. Could I have ordered them online? Yes. Do I usually plan that far ahead? No. I also found, for my personal taste, that many of the recipes needed about twice the spice, salt, and fat content that they called for. While its easy to double the amount of seasoning, following the recipe often left me feeling a bit ‘this is tasty but needs a little more…’ Who I would recommend this book for: Honestly? The Spanish would probably love a vegan cookbook like this. The Novio and my friends and relatives here often favor blander food. It was a good way to get him to eat more veg. It would also be great for someone in a slightly more cosmopolitan area who would be able to get their hands on ingredients that I simply couldn’t find, like molasses, cashew butter, or date syrup.

I've been excited for Dreena's new cookbook ever since I heard of it's existence! I love her original cookbook, and Dreena's Kind Kitchen is going to be just as beloved I think. There are so many easy, accessible, tasty and nutritious recipes in it's pages that vegans and meat-eaters alike will love. I started to bookmark things that looked good but then realized I was basically bookmarking the whole thing. I'm especially excited to try her new take on the Sweet Potato cake! Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this!

I am young mother of small children, and I am constantly running out of ideas of healthy meals for my family. This cook book made me feel more equipped to achieve wellness for my family! I would recommend this to any of my friends looking for fun vegan food to feed the family.

Another one of Dreena’s cookbooks with so many good plant-based whole-food recipes. I really liked all the pictures of the recipes. I love Dreena’s blog, she has so many good recipes on her blog too.