Thursday’s Child

Pub Date 12 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 02 Nov 2021
Harper 360, HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks

Talking about this book? Use #ThursdaysChild #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A thrilling, classic children’s adventure with a courageous heroine, from the beloved author of Ballet Shoes.

Margaret Thursday was named after the day she was found on the church steps as a baby. But she isn’t really an orphan – each year a bag of gold coins is left at the church for her keep. However, when Margaret is eleven years old, the money suddenly stops and her guardians have no choice but to send her away to an orphanage.

The orphanage is worse than they could have imagined. The children are poorly treated and barely fed, and fearless Margaret soon makes herself the enemy of the evil matron who runs it. Vowing to protect her new friends, Peter and Horatio, Margaret plans their daring escape . . . but she’ll have to outwit Matron at every turn.

Margaret’s action-packed adventure, set in turn-of-the-century England, takes her from orphanage to canal boat to the world of the theatre. Through it all, Margaret is propelled by her unwavering sense of self and determination.

Margaret Thursday was named after the day she was found on the...

EDITION Paperback

My 10 year old daughter absolutely loved this book! It was such an adventure for her and I got updates on Margaret every chapter. This historical novel takes place in turn of the century England and features Margaret, who was named after the day she was found on the church steps. A sweet story about determination and resilience. Will definitely be purchasing for our homeschool coop.

This was absolutely captivating. My daughters and I all adored this sweet book. The plot was well-paced and engaging to the very end. The characters were delightful. We highly recommend this beautiful book. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.

There is a reason why Noel Streatfeild is such a treasured author. Thursday's Child is a brilliantly written story of an author that both excites with adventure and touches the heartstrings with love. They just don't write them like this anymore.