Jazz Age Cocktails

History, Lore, and Recipes from America's Roaring Twenties

Pub Date 16 Nov 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #JazzAgeCocktails #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

How the Prohibition law of 1920 made alcohol, savored in secret, all the more delectable when the cocktail shaker was forced to go “underground”

American ingenuity promptly rose to its newest challenge. The law, riddled with loopholes, let the 1920s write a new chapter in the nation’s saga of spirits. Men and women spoke knowingly of the speakeasy, the bootlegger, rum-running, black ships, blind pigs, gin mills, and gallon stills. Passwords (“Oscar sent me”) gave entrée to night spots and supper clubs where cocktails abounded, and bartenders became alchemists of timely new drinks like the Making Whoopee, the Petting Party, the Dance the Charleston. A new social event—the cocktail party staged in a private home—smashed the gender barrier that had long forbidden “ladies” from entering into the gentlemen-only barrooms and cafés.

From the author of Gilded Age Cocktails, this book takes a delightful new romp through the cocktail creations of the early twentieth century, transporting readers into the glitz and (illicit) glamour of the 1920s. Spirited and richly illustrated, Jazz Age Cocktails dazzles with tales of temptation and temperance, and features charming cocktail recipes from the time to be recreated and enjoyed.

“Roaring Twenties” America boasted famous firsts:...

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley to review. My previous titles have been in the history area and this book qualifies for that label. What makes it different, of course, is the focus on cocktails. Not just a history of the creation of cocktails but recipes that you can create at home. The author mentions a previous book, Gilded Age Cocktails, in an afterword. Chapter themes address issues central to the earlier decades of the Twentieth Century--the emergence of women's preferences in society, the influence of gangs on urban life, the creation of new musical forms and much more. As would be expected, the growing strength of anti-alcohol forces during that period is acknowledged, ultimately producing Prohibition. Attention to all of these social and cultural influences is relatively brief. The author is not writing for a scholarly audience or even general readers who have an extensive collection of cocktail guides. The book could reasonably be recommended to people just beginning to explore the possibility of creating cocktails at home or who would appreciate more background information on the creation of cocktail recipes. Overall, most of the discussion explores the first two decades of the Twentieth Century although additional context is provided from as much as 100 years earlier. Almost all of the focus is on events within the United States. Recommended for light reading.

Date reviewed/posted: July 13, 2021 Publication date: November 16, 2021 When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you have personally decided to basically continue on #maskingup and #lockingdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. Plus it is hot as all heck and nothing is more appealing than sitting in front of a fan with a kindle! I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. How the Prohibition law of 1920 made alcohol, savoured in secret, all the more delectable when the cocktail shaker was forced to go “underground” “Roaring Twenties” America boasted famous firsts: women’s right to vote, jazz music, talking motion pictures, flapper fashions, and wondrous new devices like the safety razor and the electric vacuum cleaner. The privations of the Great War were over, and Wall Street boomed. The decade opened, nonetheless, with a shock when Prohibition became the law of the land on Friday, January 16, 1920, when the Eighteenth Amendment banned “intoxicating liquors.” Decades-long campaigns to demonize alcoholic beverages finally became law, and America officially went “dry.” American ingenuity promptly rose to its newest challenge. The law, riddled with loopholes, let the 1920s write a new chapter in the nation’s saga of spirits. Men and women spoke knowingly of the speakeasy, the bootlegger, rum-running, black ships, blind pigs, gin mills, and gallon stills. Passwords (“Oscar sent me”) gave entrée to nightspots and supper clubs where cocktails abounded, and bartenders became alchemists of timely new drinks like the Making Whoopee, the Petting Party, the Dance the Charleston. A new social event—the cocktail party staged in a private home—smashed the gender barrier that had long forbidden “ladies” from entering into the gentlemen-only barrooms and cafés. From the author of Gilded Age Cocktails, this book takes a delightful new romp through the cocktail creations of the early twentieth century, transporting readers into the glitz and (illicit) glamour of the 1920s. Spirited and richly illustrated, Jazz Age Cocktails dazzles with tales of temptation and temperance and features charming cocktail recipes from the time to be recreated and enjoyed. One thing #COVID19 self-isolation has taught me is that a cocktail is an amazing thing to have. (Mango lemonade with apple vodka is currently my jam!) This is a lot of history with some amazing drinks on the side - in fact, I am going to make some of these drinks at my next book club! As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍹🍸🍹🍸🍹

I was expecting a book full of Jazz age cocktails with antidotes and history tie ins between, but it ended up being more stkries than cocktails. I did really enjoy the story about F. Scott Fitzgerald and Earnest Heningway, two of my favorite authors from the Jazz Age. I would have liked more cocktail recipes but I did find several knew ones I hadn't previously heard of to try.

Let’s make cocktails and put on the Ritz. I absolutely love this cute cocktail book. Great jazz age Cocktails but she won’t be able to resist making.

I love a good cocktail book! I own the author's prior book Gilded Age Cocktails and was so excited when I saw this available on NetGalley. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing this ARC for review. This would make a fantastic gift for any cocktail lover in your life or anyone obsessed with prior generations. I love that this book is a mix of history and recipes. I'm looking forward to making a Snorky's Kiss tonight. Can never go wrong with a gin cocktail.

This was a fun book! I love everything Jazz Age and the 1920’s, so I was excited to read this one. It’s a quick and interesting read. I learned how the prohibition started. I learned that when people started going to speakeasy’s to drink, it was the first time women could drink alone without judgement. There are lots of really fun cocktail recipes too. I’m excited to try the Champagne Julep and the Lipstick Cocktail! Thank you so much NetGalley and NYU Press for the opportunity to read this book. My review will be on my Instagram: reading_with_poodles very soon.

Jazz Age Cocktails is an absolute perfect kitchen decoration book or a cute coffee table read. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip the history while learning about cocktails their origination and how to make them. I may have made one or two throughout. You really get a fun look into the prohibition era, post war, some notable people and not so notables. Very well thought out and executed, I really had a good time reading this while also making my friends and family listen to me read cool facts to them. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys history or cocktails or a mix of both, or to someone who enjoys a good bourbon and cigar, I think they will find this indulging! Thank you for allowing me to review this book! #netgalley #jazzagecocktails

Jazz Age Cocktails is a great history of prohibition (and lack thereof) in the 1920's. Author Cecelia Tichi has written a wonderful book about the history and myth of alcohol consumption in post-WW1 era. The drink recipes serve to emphasize the interesting research and history- loved the 'Newest New Woman' chapter about women and their increased freedom in 1920s. Also loved 'Bootlegging Ladies' chapter and the cocktail Havana Smile (rum, vermouth, lime juice). The book is really interesting and highly recommend - ideal holiday present for someone interested in history or cocktails!

The perfect drink companion for a flappers night hosted by me! I cannot wait to try out some newfound cocktails and spout some new knowledge about this era. Not only will I look smart, I will be sophisticated with a drink in hand!

I am obsessed with this. I absolutely cannot wait to try out some of these recipes during a jazz night at my house with friend and family!! I also LOVE the history included in this and makes this so much more fun!

I’m a sucker for history and when you throw in some hooch, that makes it even more interesting. What I enjoy most about this book is the history of the Jazz Age and Prohibition that is included throughout the book along with recipes. Some are drinks I’m familiar with, like the Bees Knees, Bloody Mary, Gluhwein and a few others, there are quite a few that are new to me as well. I can’t wait to try the Havana Smile, On a Toot, Snorky’s Kiss and more!
I see a Great Gatsby themed party in my future using some of the recipes in this book. It will be a party filled with fun awesome attire, fun factoids, and lots of fun drinks.