Mommy, What is Confidence?

Pub Date 26 Oct 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #MommyWhatIsConfidence #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“The perfect book to help kids build confidence. It's great for children in school, speaks to their imagination, and challenges them.” — Tom Godfrey, Editor, The South Etobicoke News

Kids need confidence to thrive and this book shows them exactly what they can do to build confidence. It challenges them to take action and learn from it through a fun and interactive activity called, The Confidence Cup.

This touching story is about a boy who lacks confidence and seeks his mother’s guidance in becoming more confident.

As a topic, confidence can be abstract and vague to children and parents. Mommy, What is Confidence? illustrates what confidence looks like in real life. Confidence is something that affects all of us and it is important to guide children in the right direction, so that they can fulfill their potential and lead successful lives.

With the interactive Confidence Cup, this book not only serves as a lesson-driven story, but an actionable process that kids can easily follow to create tangible, positive accomplishments in their developing lives. You can cut it out together and hang it in their favorite spot. By earning stars, children will be able to see their progress as they grow.

Mommy, What is Confidence? can be your child’s first confidence building storybook. Or give it as a gift to nephews, nieces, grandchildren, or friends’ children for birthdays, Christmas, baby showers, just to show you care, and other occasions. Give a gift that has true, meaningful, and lifelong impact.

Kids need...

ISBN 9781950906567

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I would like to start off by saying that the overall theme behind this book is very important. It is something I don't think I've seen in any picture books. I would love to read this book with my niece and complete the lovely activity with her. The book is written simple enough for a beginner reader to learn how to read from, yet long enough a parent can read it as a bed-time story. The pictures that follow along with the story are well drawn and follow the characters perfectly. I would 100% reccomend this book to my best friend to read with her kids.

This book has an incredibly important message! And it isn't a topic that comes up in many children's books. Not only does it teach children about confidence, it also shows children, that they can rely on their parents.

This is my first review of a children's book, and I had so much fun doing it! It's been awhile since I've read a children's book in general, so I sat down and read it to a family member's 5 year old. Right away, she connected with the material! The pictures captured her attention, and just as the little boy was asking questions about confidence, she had questions of her own. It was interactive, to the point, and was a great lesson in that having confidence doesn't always come easy. Relying on people you care about to help encourage you is the strongest form of help you can get. What I loved about this book is that it reminded me of the short stories I read as a kid. They were about humility, gratitude, showing people you care, etc. The illustrations are timeless and I think something that could be passed down form parent to child as time goes on.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for my honest, unpaid review. As a homeschooler, I'm constantly looking for more books to read to my 6 and 8 year old. My older son likes reading to his younger sister, but only in short bursts. This was a book that was sweet and to the point, with pretty illustrations with a bit of diversity. The topic of the book is something I think all kids ask about or are concerned with around ages 4-7, so I'd gear this book to kiddos roughly that age if they're having any slight bit of confidence and hesitancy towards their new lives probably off to school and away from the nest for short bursts during the day! I sat and read the book with my kids and we all enjoyed the message, the confidence game at the end was very cute to include for everyone! we would want to include that trophy game near our chore charts to remind ourselves to BE confident! try something new today, try to go out of our own boxes, everyday.

The use of simple dialogues, straightforward approaches, and motivating activity is surely a fun way to make kids fire up to challenge themself to be more confident. Even as an adult I fun it joyful and pleasing to do.

This is a great introduction for teaching kids about confidence. The simple illustrations can be related to by children, and the story is just long enough to invite dialogue between the reader and the child. The illustrations are classic and colourful.

Very lovely little story about being a kid and being confident. Easy to read with good pictures and a nice message. It's a good topic to try to tackle with kids in this very uncertain world.

I loved this and the message it contained so much. As I work in the early years, it is books like this one that should be embraced. The lessons about playing with others different from you, standing up for yourself and trying your best are important lessons that children can learn through reading this. The art style was also so beautiful, Niko was such an adorable character, and the story makes you hope he gains his confidence; which he does (happy endings are always good!) Overall I believe this book is educational aswell as fun for children to read & Id recommend it to early years and school settings for sure!

This book comes as a neat and useful tool for parents (and teachers) to teach confidence. I loved the illustrations. The writing is age-appropiated and easy to follow. At the end of the book you will find a confidence challenge with a prize. The book is welcome in every house (classroom)!

A precious book for preschool-elementary children. A perfect discussion before school starts up or prior to any new experience a young one might be anxious about. This might also be an excellent classroom read too!

I loved Mommy, What is Confidence? As the Mum of a 4 year old and as quite an unconfident person myself this is something I worry about with my son and this story was a great way to tackle it with him. We enjoyed both the story and the illustrations that accompanied it. Thank you to NetGalley and Indigo River Publishing for my ARC.

This was a great story to read with children and all 3 of my nieces loved it. It's a fun and creative way to teach the importance of confidence to anyone at any age, and I feel that's more important now than ever. Definitely one that should be in every library and household.

This is an important book that introduces kids to the concept of having self-confidence. The text is simple and the illustrations are outstanding. They greatly enrich the narrative. The author cites many methods to boost and conquer that feeling of apprehension and nervousness about trying new things. Kids can easily relate to the author's suggestions and they will discover that with practice they can feel more confident enabling them to engage more in the world around them. "Mommy What is Confidence?" will spark conversations causing a child's self-esteem to grow and to blossom. It includes a Confident Cup that kids can strive for as they progress and begin to belief in themselves and in their abilities

This is a great book for the beginning of the school year. Chirkut gave many different examples of what confidence is. I liked the idea of the confidence cup but cutting up a book in school wouldn’t be practical. Perhaps teachers could copy sketches of the cup as well as the list of items for stars. This would be a good book for preschoolers and lower elementary grades.

"What is confidence? When he gets home, he turns to someone he can always talk to. “Mommy, what is confidence?” I love it when a book covers concepts that are sometimes difficult to explain to children. This colorfully illustrated book does a wonderful job of explaining and giving lots of practical examples of how to gain and practice confidence and would be an excellent read aloud in your classroom or home. I also was pleased that Niko went to his Mom to ask for her advice! Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review!

This book had such an important message that was so well shown! It is so important for children to learn how to stand up for yourself and to try your best, and they can easily learn them through this book. The art style was beautiful and the story is so inspirational and is great for a classroom setting for early years!!

At nearly 50 I know I’m not this books target audience but it would be a lovely book to read with my grandchildren (I now I’m too young to have grandchildren) the book is clearly written and explains what confidence by using examples with bright & clear Illustrations and at the back of the book is a tick list to do different activities so the child can get the confidence cup.

This is a very sweet and innocent book that highlights the different ways that one can show confidence. The main idea is that confidence must come from within. The author did a fine job of stressing this point using kid-friendly language. I also like how the book mentions that it's okay to make mistakes. Many children need to hear that. Self love, persistence, assertiveness, and conquering fears are all covered in a delightful way. The book ends with a list of activities that children can complete to show they have confidence. My only warning would be that if a child is recovering from bullying or extreme loneliness then saying the affirmation "I am liked by others" might not be in alignment with what they need, but it just depends on the child. Overall, this is a pleasant read. (I did not purchase this book, I received an advanced reader copy).

Every day in class Niko watches from his seat as his classmates participate in class and answer the teacher's questions while he always remains silent due to the fear that paralyzes him. One day at the end of class the teacher spoke to him. She was concerned that Niko was so quiet in class and hardly participated. She was aware of what was wrong with him but encouraged him to have confidence in himself. Niko was puzzled. He didn't know what confidence was. He had never heard the word before. On the way home, he kept thinking and thinking but couldn't think of anything, so he decided to ask his mother. What is confidence? Through simple practical examples, his mother explained to him what it was that intrigued him so much. She also encouraged him to put it into practice so that these small actions that he performed day after day would gradually and over time become part of his way of acting. Mommy, What Is Confidence? is a very useful children's book through which to explain to children such an abstract concept as confidence. With very simple examples that are part of everyday life and images that do not need words, this children's story shows a wide variety of examples to put into practice to build confidence while highlighting other very important values such as honesty, kindness and respect. In addition to being interesting, this is a book that is very attractive because of its brightly colored illustrations that transmit energy and motivate you to read it. The concepts or ideas it contains are easy to understand and assimilate. A children's book that should not be missing in any home.

Received copy of #MommyWhatisConfidence form #NetGalley. I shared the book with my 8 yr old grandson and found it an enjoyable read. Confidence can be a hard concept for children to grasp but the way the book is written made it much more understandable for a young child.

I love getting Inspiring books to share with my niece and nephew. This one was really great because it teaches young minds about confidence and you are never too early to start learning about that. I recommend this book for kids of all ages.

Mommy, What is Confidence is a picture book that teaches some of the things that builds confidence in youngsters. I read this boom with my 9 year old daughter and she said she got some good ideas to increase her confidence in her new school and classroom. The words and illustrations go together and the story length is appropriate for younger kids. Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an electronic copy to read and review. Confidence is something that very young children seem to have in spades, but as they grow they often seem to lose it. This book does a great job of explaining what confidence is and what it might look like. I really appreciate how there is a list of things for kids to try and stars to earn to award themselves The Confidence Cup. Perfect for fans of Julia Cook.

Again on the topic of confidence, this is another well-done book for young children, but I have to make a point once more that yet again the artist, in this case Brianna Baker, is badly underserved here. Predictably she gets a tiny text mention on the cover, but her name doesn't appear on the Net Galley listing where I downloaded the review copy of this book, nor does Amazon-owned Goodreads Jug O'Nought review website bother to credit her. I can tell you that's because they're a bunch of self-serving jerks at Goodreads, but I would have thought the publisher might treat her with a little more appreciation and consideration on the book cover and in the Net Galley listing. The observation I'm about to make is far less applicable in this case, because there's a lot of well-thought text in this book - more than you'd usually see - but it's a fact that very many children's books have very little text and to be honest, it's not like it takes months to put together a book like this in terms of the writing. The artwork on the other hand, especially when it's as well done as this, does take time, and thought and work. As I said, in this case the writing and art are more balanced, but that still doesn't excuse the artist being treated like a minor player. Maybe it's just me, but it bothers me that book illustration artists are treated so shabbily. And no, I am not a book illustrator for hire, so I have no skin in this game. I just feel that every contributor should be fairly treated. That aside, this book was sweet and well done, and it told a worthy story of a young child, Nikko, who lacks confidence, and the lessons he learns with the aid fo his teacher and his mopm, abotu putitng himself otu there a bit more than he's used to. I commend this as a worthy read.