Speed Reading

Learn to Read a 200+ Page Book in 1 Hour (Mental Performance)

Pub Date 26 Sep 2018 | Archive Date 01 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #SpeedReading #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

#1 Speed Reading Book on Amazon for 2 Straight Years

This has become the go to book for students, teachers, educators, professionals, and home-school parents & children to rapidly improve their reading.

It offers simple tips to not only accelerate reading, but comprehension and memory.

Unlike other books that merely teach you to skim & scan, this book taps into your brain and eyes’ amazing power to naturally read more words in a shorter time.

In fact, this isn't your average speed reading book.

I spent years to refine the techniques to double or even triple you reading speed with a few simple shifts. No skimming, no scanning, but reading every word with double or triple the speed.

Then with the additional tips and exercises, you will raise that level until you are comfortably reading a 200+ page book in 1 hour.

#1 Speed Reading Book on Amazon for 2 Straight Years

Advance Praise

"Reviewer: Dillon Phillips

Title: Perhaps the most important book I've ever read.

Body: This book is truly a work of genius, and I don't say that lightly. Before this book, I would read at a tortoise pace. Not because that's all I was capable of, but because I never learned how to properly read as an adult. From just reading this book in one pass, I've increased my reading speed by at least 5 times. Not only that, but I retain more information I read because I have to maintain focus and concentration to be able to read so fast. Staying focused and concentrated then makes it easier to sustain a blazing pace. Must read for everyone. Obviously reading 5 times faster and retaining more information deeply affects many aspects of life.

Reviewer: Gwen Silverstein

Title: Definitely Recommend Reading

Body: Note this book doesn't talk about skimming, scanning, or glancing to improve reading speed, but reading every word, all of them, in a shorter time and with higher comprehension. You'll be reading at speed of sight and understanding at the speed of thought. I have no doubts that by the time you finish the book that you will be reading and understanding and remembering what you read at least 3 times faster."

"Reviewer: Dillon Phillips

Title: Perhaps the most important book I've ever read.

I love to read, and am always looking to increase my speed with any tricks I can find. In Speed Reading, Kam Knight breaks down some of the science of speed reading, some effective strategies, and practice drills to help you implement the strategies that work for you. I’m already almost doubling my page count in the same length of time!

I love this book. It gives you actual ways to speed read without skipping words. Then, you have exercises to improve your speed reading. This book is interesting unlike many books I have tried to read on speed reading.Thank you for the opportunity to review this book..

I love to read. I read a lot. I read all the time. Because I spend so much time reading, I've read all the books about speed reading and even taken expensive courses from Jim Kwik, J. Levi., etc. I can honestly say this book trumps them all. He offers tons of tips to improve reading speed, some of them I haven't seen or heard anywhere before like Space Reading which blew my mind. I was already a fast reader, and it increased my speed even more. This book is not just about reading fast, but understanding and remembering what you read. He has so much good information on improving comprehension. Definitely worth the read!

I love books, so the idea of learning to speed read seemed like a great idea. I mean, I'd be able to read even more books, and who wouldn't love that, right? I am happy to say that Kam Knight's book does indeed lay out some very clear, easy to follow instructions on how to increase your reading speed. And at the end of each chapter you're given short practice drills, encouraging you to put into action these new skills. Does it work? Yes, I can definitely say what he proposes can and will work for many people. And for some it may be quite simple to pick up and use immediately, while for others, such as myself, it may take a bit longer as I still have some old habits to break, I looking at you sub vocalization! I will say when I put my mind to it and really concentrated on following Knight's instructions there is no question I was reading faster. I definitely wish I'd learned some of these techniques when I was younger. I can definitely see how this would have helped out while in school. I am sure with more practice the act of speed reading will get easier.

I liked it, it helped increase my reading speed and how I think about the whole reading process. I use to just pick up a book and start reading, now I know to be more intentional about what to do before during and after I read.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book, I wasn’t expecting much but this book really impressed me and I’m sure it will begin to help with my reading speed. I’ve tried books like this before and never really found them useful but this one really seemed like it is going to work and help become a faster reader *a big thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing an arc copy in exchange for an honest review *

Expectation is everything. If you expect to start reading a 200 page book in an hour overnight, you'll be disappointed. If you come with zero expectations and an open mind, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Truly full of tips and techniques on how to read faster and more effectively! I never knew about some of them and some are really fascinating such as looking at the spaces in between the words rather than at the words themselves. I’m not sure I have mastered any of the ways yet but it would be worthwhile to go through the book more slowly this time and try every one of the drills.

A simple, informative, and well structured guide, complete with easy to remember tricks and tips, combined with simple, yet effective tasks or drills to embed the learning and change in reading habits. I always thought I could read quickly, but now I know even I can improve and am doing so every day. A must for anyone serious about reading quickly and retaining/comprehending more of what they have read.

A quick read (pun intended) - heavy on practical tips to speed read. Includes exercises, pragmatic advice, and places to find additional resources. An enjoyable guide to learn how to speed read. Lots of good takeaway advice for people just looking to read faster for only one type of reading (e.g. for school or work). Would highly recommend it to new college students in particular.

A short read that is to the point. The book discusses the main 3 techniques to increase you reading seed; space reading, chunking and removing sub vocalization. It also presents practices to enhance these techniques such as avoiding fixation and regression and increasing the visual range. It also covers other tips regarding previewing methods, reading for main topics, eye health tips and other comprehension tips. I have found the book and the practices easy to follow. But the to master speed reading, this will take time and a lot of practice.

As part of my job, I read a lot of book, both fiction and non-. That is why I am constantly trying to up my reading speed while keeping (or hopefully developing) my comprehension and retention abilities. Sadly, so far I've not been able to do so, mostly because the majority of speed reading "hacks" found in books and internet at large focus only on this one aspect - the speed with which one reads. Everything else is sidelined at best and completely discarded at worst. Kam Knight's "Speed Reading" purports to change that by helping the readers not only to boost their reading speed dramatically (a book per hour sounds amazing, though a bit fantastical), but also help them retain as much from what they've read as possible. Quite a grand promise, but Knight manages to uphold it. To a degree, at least, for reading a book in an hour is possible only in sci-fi films. The tricks Knight teaches the readers are quite simple, yet very efficient. The first of them is the preparation, which includes the intention the reader has towards the book he is about to read. This step is very important because it clearly sets what the reader expects to learn or get out of the book, itself making the reading process more focused and intentional. The second step is a brief skimming of the text before the actual dedicated reading. In this step the reader gets acquainted with the structure of the text, its main points, and the overall style. The skimming of a book consists of reading the front and back covers, a somewhat detailed read of the table of contents. In this step the reader tries to find the connections between the different chapters and how they represent the flow of ideas, as well as what the main points of the book are. Finally, the reader goes quickly through the introduction and conclusion, as well as the first and last paragraphs of each chapter, just to get a taste of the writing and main ideas within the text. Having passed this preliminary step of getting acquainted with the book, the readers are thought what they actually came here for - speed reading techniques. Though the majority of what Knight teaches should already be known by everyone interested in speed reading (most notably, chunking), there is one technique that I believe is his invention - space reading. Unlike chunking which looks at sentences as large "chunks" of words, space reading consists of moving one's gaze in the empty spaces between words. Initially, the readers are asked to jump in the spaces between each word and with training - between two, three, and even more words. Coupled with the peripheral vision exercises found later in the book, it makes for a very powerful method for raising the speed of one's reading. As mentioned earlier, Knight does not leave comprehension and retention behind. He teaches a few techniques for them, none of which is anything new. In one section, we are asked to learn finding topic sentences and extend our vocabularies, while in another, to visualize what we read (easy with fiction and some types of non-fiction, much more difficult with academic texts) and to try recalling the main points of what we've read. As I said, it's nothing new, but at that same time it's a good reminder for things many people forget to do. All in all, this is a very interesting book on speed reading which teaches something new (space reading coupled with enhanced peripheral vision) together with rehashing some of the the most famous techniques (chunking and subvocalization). Of course, like many of its ilk, it promises things that it can't deliver.

I went into this book assuming it would be the same advice I have always heard but never been able to implement long term. It's short and I am always interested in ways to improve my reading, so I gave it a shot anyways. It starts off ways to prepare to read a book to get more out of it, retain the info more quickly/efficiently and expectations based on the type of material you're reading ( not all material is equal and don't expect to read it all at the same speed). It also included pretty straightforward advice, such as to read the table of contents and reviews of what the books about so your brain isn't always thinking about what's next and can focus on what you're currently looking at. Then it gets into tricks or tips which I thought were very useful for me. I had never heard of spacing. I never considered looking at the blank space between words instead of the actual words, but I did start utilizing that tip and it did help a lot. The author doesn't fill the book with fluff and a lot of the advice is practical, easy to use and works. I mean I wouldn't expect to read a 200 page book in an hour, right away, but really great useful little book. I can see if you really stick to the advice she has suggested you would easily cut your reading in half over time. Right away I was able to cut my speed by probably 25%. #netgalley #speedreading #kamknight

This book was worthwhile. Some of it seemed like it would be obvious. For example, if you are reading a book leisurely and for enjoyment, the author recommended reading slower. I thought that was kind of a given. I didn't think there were some worthwhile tips that helped me become a faster reader. Huge thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review this book.

It's not a comprehensive guide to all the techniques that can be used to speed read things, but it is presented in a very clear format and with easy examples to follow for those who have never really managed to speed read, rather than just skimming across books. I enjoyed the examples and practise drills, and while it won't bring much new information to anyone who's already practised how to speed read, it's an excellent primer on starting to speed read and does a lot to demystify expectations of what happens when you speed read something. You won't be reading and comprehending War and Peace in a single day, but that's not what the intention of the book is for, and it's clear about that from the start. Excellent introduction to Speed Reading, would recommend.

Great book with a wide range of sensible suggestions for improving reading speed and increasing recall. I was a little sceptical but there are several helpful methods and techniques to practice, as well as exercises to avoid eyestrain.

This is an interesting and unique read! The techniques and strategies that Knight describes are easy to understand, though not necessarily simple to execute right off the bat. I also appreciated that the book itself is organized in such a way that's conducive to speed reading. I'll definitely be returning to this book several times in the future to continue honing my own speed reading skills.

This may be the most practical book I have read on increasing reading speed. Rather than nearly impossible exercises, Knight concentrates on slight changes, shifts in habits that speed up reading and ones that slow you down. He says what is important is not how fast you make it through the text but how fast facts and ideas are understood. Knight writes about setting a clear purpose for your reading, identifying what you hope to gain from reading the material. He suggests previewing the material to give your mind a framework for the reading process. He gives practical instruction for chunking, using peripheral vision, reducing sub-vocalization, and much, much more. The one suggestion that struck me was adjusting the reading speed for the type of book. I have been practicing that especially as I tend to read fiction and nonfiction in the same way. I am making good progress. I recommend this small book to readers who would like some practical ideas for increasing reading speed and absorbing what is read. I received an egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.

This is a great book for anyone that wants to read faster, however, do not expect it to happen straight after reading this book. It is full of useful techniques to get you there but it does take time and commitment to learning to read faster. What I did like about this book is that it doesn't teach you to skim books, but actually take everything in Overall it was a good book and I will continue practising the techniques and hopefully, I will manage to read faster in the, not too distant future.

I’ve always been interested in speed reading. It was a class my mother had taken in school many years ago and I was always interested in learning the process myself.