How to Survive the Modern World

Making sense of, and finding calm in, unsteady times

Pub Date 07 Jun 2022 | Archive Date Not set

A hopeful guide to living well in the 21st century.

The modern world has brought us a range of extraordinary benefits and joys, including technology, medicine, and transportation. But with these advances, it seems, we've also seen an increase in greed, despair, and agitation.

How to Survive the Modern World is the ultimate guide to navigating our unusual times. The book tackles our relationship to the news, our identities, our careers, our relationship to the natural world, our admiration for science and technology, our belief in individualism and secularism - and our suspicion of quiet and solitude.

This book helps us form a calmer, more authentic, more resilient, and more light-hearted relationship to the complexities of our age. If modern times can feel like a disease, this book is both the diagnosis and the soothing, hope-filled cure.

IDENTIFIES THE SOURCE OF SHARED ANXIETY helps us identify the sources of our sorrows in the modern world.PRACTICAL ADVICE on dealing with the challenges presented by capitalism, advertising and the media.CHAPTERS INCLUDE Media, Materialism, Family, Love, Work, Sex, Science & Religion, Democracy and Nature.BEAUTIFULLY PRODUCED premium gift format.

A hopeful guide to living well in the 21st century.

ISBN 9781912891535

Publication date: June 7, 2022 Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. A guide to modern times that explores the challenges living in the 21st century can pose to our mental wellbeing. The modern world has brought us a range of extraordinary benefits and joys, including technology, medicine, and transport. But it can also feel as though modern times have plunged us ever deeper into greed, despair, and agitation. Seldom has the world felt more privileged and resource-rich yet also worried, blinkered, furious, panicked, and self-absorbed. How to Survive the Modern World is the ultimate guide to navigating our unusual times. It identifies a range of themes that present acute challenges to our mental well-being. The book tackles our relationship to the news media, our ideas of love and sex, our assumptions about money and our careers, our attitudes to animals and the natural world, our admiration for science and technology, our belief in individualism and secularism – and our suspicion of quiet and solitude. In all cases, the book helps us to understand how we got to where we are, digging deeply and fascinatingly into the history of ideas while pointing us towards a saner individual and collective future. The emphasis isn’t just on understanding modern times but also on knowing how we can best relate to the difficulties these present. The book helps us to form a calmer, more authentic, more resilient, and sometimes more light-hearted relationship to the follies and obsessions of our age. If modern times are (in part) something of a disease, this is both the diagnostic and the soothing, hope-filled cure. Remember how the world lost their $h1t because Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp went out for a few hours? I don't because I didn't care! This is a deeply philosophical book that was somewhat enjoyable to read and ponder over. I am not a huge fan of "self-help" books as they are too Dr. Phil for me, but this one was resonant as if you do not "help" yourself, no one else will., Not even that fat-headed, bald poser who treats his wife as a possession.

I'm a fan of the school of life and its publications so I was looking forward to reading this. This is a guide to modern times and how the modern world can affect our wellbeing. Lots of food for thought and philosophical concepts to mull over. A delight o read and will stay with you long after finishing.