Saving Mrs. Roosevelt

WWII Heroines

Pub Date 01 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 01 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #SavingMrsRoosevelt #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The Safety of the First Lady Rests in Shirley’s Hands

Shirley Davenport is as much a patriot as her four brothers. She, too, wants to aid her country in the war efforts, but opportunities for women are limited. When her best friend Joan informs her that the Coast Guard has opened a new branch for single women, they both enlist in the SPARs, ready to help protect the home front.

Training is rigorous, and Shirley is disappointed that she and Joan are sent to separate training camps. At the end of basic training, Captain Webber commends her efforts and commissions her home to Maine under the ruse of a dishonorable discharge to help uncover a plot against the First Lady.

Shirley soon discovers nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust? Why do the people she loves want to harm the First Lady? With the help of Captain Webber, it’s a race against time to save Mrs. Roosevelt and remain alive.

​Don’t miss these other stories about Heroines of WWII:
The Cryptographer’s Dilemma by Johnnie Alexander
The Safety of the First Lady Rests in Shirley’s Hands

Send To Kindle (PDF)

What a wonderful read!! This is a well written book that has just the right amount of suspense, drama and romance to keep you turning the pages. I loved how the author brought the story to life with her words and wove fact with fiction to make a story that I couldn't put down. If you are a fan of Historical fiction, you will love this book. I received a complimentary copy from Barbour Publishing, Inc via NetGalley and was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Historical Fiction has always been a draw for me, especially the novels that are set in either of the world wars. I equate that to the fact I grew up to stories from both my grandparents and great grandparents on the time they spent in the war. Looking back now I wonder if they were still around to tell them if I would still sit in awe or if I would notice the sadness and possibly even the terror they witnessed reflected in their eyes. Candice Patterson does not disappoint in this book. Shirley wants to do her part to help with the war effort, but when she is forced to return home under the guise of a dishonorable discharge in order to keep watch over the first lady and an unknown threat that seems to be lurking she must deal with the small-town gossip mill, the disappointment of her parents and the reaction of the small town from which she lives and is sent back to. All of these things put obstacles in her path for Shirley to accomplish what it is she was sent to do, keep the first lady safe. The book is loosely based on real events, with real historical events and people depicted helping build the plot. All of which keeps the book flowing and moving nicely. It keeps you guessing who the good guys are, and who might just be smiling to your face while working against you. I couldn't put it down, and I am already looking forward to reading the other two novels in this series. That being said this is the third book in Candice Petterson's Heroines of WWII but can be read as a stand-alone novel and not feel like you are missing something.

Shirley Davenport lives with her parents in Maine during the war. She wants to help with the war efforts. When it’s advertised that the coast guard is recruiting women, Shirley rushes to enlist. She ends up getting a lot more than she bargained for! I loved this story and would recommend it to anyone who loves romantic suspense.

Imagine growing up in a small town in Maine with four older brothers. Is it any wonder Shirley is a tomboy more at home in her Dad's lobster boat than on the dance floor. Shirley dreams of getting out of her small town and doing her part during WWII. When the Coast Guard starts a female section, SPARS, Shirley knows this is her chance. She and her best friend June enlist. Little did she know the opportunities this would open up, the chance to spy in her hometown to help save Eleanor Roosevelt and maybe to fall in love. Saving Mrs. Roosevelt, by Candice Sue Patterson, take some facts and figures from history and weaves an intriguing tale of love, friendship, and patriotism. I was able to read an ARC on #NetGalley.

Saving Mrs. Roosevelt is part of the Heroines of WWII series. This series is by a variety of authors and all the books are standalone so you do not have to have read the previous novels to enjoy this one. When it comes to historical fiction, novels taking place during or around WWII are some of my personal favorites, so I personally am really enjoying this series highlighting the roles of women during the war. This one is no exception. We don't often read about women's earlier history in the military (outside of nursing and such), so this was really interesting. While I may not be the biggest history or military buff, it certainly is a unique perspective that made for an interesting story. There was a good blend of mystery and action with some romance mixed in too. This was a new to me author, but I look forward to reading more from her in the future. **I received a complimentary copy for consideration. All thoughts are my own.

This book was soooo good! Oh my gosh, I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed it so much. Shirley Davenport is determined to help in the War effort and enlists in the Coast Guard which gives single women a chance to serve. And serve she does! Just not as she expected to. As the story continues, Shirley finds she has no idea whom she can trust and depend on. This book will keep you on your toes and you too will wonder who are the good guys and what will happen next. This book, has romance, family relationship issues and lots of intrigue. I highly recommend this book. Definitely a most worthwhile read! I received a complimentary copy of this book Barbour Publishing and NetGalley and was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts are my own.

Saving Mrs. Roosevelt by Candice Sue Patterson was a gentle, historical fiction novel that I thoroughly enjoyed. It tells the story of Shirley Davenport, who joins the SPARs, a women's Coast Guard unit that was active during World War II to relieve their male counterparts to serve in the war. The author is clear that although the SPARs were a real thing, most of her book is fiction. In the novel, Shirley is dispatched to her home town to root out potential spies who are seeking to assassinate First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt. She is also dealing with her own family's tragedy. There was a definite Christian angle and a romance element, which made me hesitant, but they did not detract from the plot. In fact, those elements drew me further into the story. I will recommend this to a wide range of readers, including those who like historical fiction and Christian romance. I thank the publisher, Barbour Publishing and NetGalley for the e-arc in exchange for my honest review.

Against her father’s wishes, Shirley Davenport and her best friend, Joan, join the SPARS, the women’s branch of the Coast Guard during WWII. While in training, she develops a liking for the Captain in charge. Both girls are disappointed when they are separated after their training. Shirley is sent back to where she grew up to uncover a plot against the First Lady, Mrs. Roosevelt. She could not tell anyone why she was there, just that she had received a dishonorable discharge. I enjoyed the book and enjoyed reading the historical comments at the end. I received a complimentary copy from Barbour Publishing and Net Galley and was under no obligation to post a review.

Excellent addition to the WWII heroines series! I knew something about the WAVES, but nothing about the SPARs. This book showcases the women who volunteered to work for the Coast Guard to free up more men to go overseas to fight. I liked Shirley and Leo as well as other secondary characters. There was some suspense as Shirley tries to find out who is in on the plot to kill Mrs. Roosevelt. I had figured out some of it, but it was still an interesting plot. Four stars. I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.