Collage Your Life

Techniques, Prompts, and Inspiration for Creative Self-Expression and Visual Storytelling

Pub Date 21 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 21 Jun 2022
Storey Publishing, Storey Publishing, LLC

Talking about this book? Use #CollageYourLife #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Requiring minimal equipment--just scissors, glue, paper, and pens--collage is an accessible craft that offers limitless creative possibilities. Like meditation or journaling, making collage can be an avenue for self-reflection and artistic exploration. In Collage Your Life, artist and teacher Melanie Mowinski teaches a variety of core techniques including lettering, stamping, stenciling, transfers, and adhesive methods, and provides dozens of prompts to jumpstart the creative process and encourage crafters to explore the versatility of collage, such as: make a self-portrait; disrupt your routine instincts; incorporate text; assemble mementos from a trip; process anger or anxiety; collage with others; or try creating block-out poetry with pages from a magazine. Inspiring examples of the author's work along with that of other collage artists are featured throughout. Crafters, journaling fans, scrapbookers, and artists alike will find guidance and support for developing their own distinctive collage style, whether the goal is to create a visual record of daily experiences and special occasions or to expand a creative journaling practice.

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (PDF)

What an absolute treasure of a book this is. I started handcut collages myself a few years back and have mostly learnt by doing. This book is absolute gem for both established collage artists and those who are considering taking it up and giving it a try. The first part of 'Collage Your Life' runs through the materials you might want to consider using from adhesives to papers and cutting equipment. It's all a very clear introduction to the tools of the trade. This book is peppered with profiles of collage artists and their stories, along with eye-catching collages showcasing the different styles of collage. My absolute favourite part of the book is the '55 prompts to jumpstart your practice.' There are so many great ideas here and I can't wait to dive in and give some a try. I have read quite a few books on collage and this for me, dives a little bit deeper. I can't wait to buy the hard copy and really kickstart my collage practice in the 2022. Many thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an advance copy.

I'm going to be honest, I have zero art skills. I might be able to rustle up a stickman, but if you didn't know better, you would be forgiven for thinking a child did it. However, I do have happy memories of being sat in my room with a magazine, cutting it up to make collages. With that in mind, I was really intrigued by "Collage Your Life" by Melanie Mowinkski.

It's a stunning book with examples of collages throughout, that I felt I wanted to pour over for hours. The book is formatted into helpful sections from an inspiring introduction "What you make doesn't matter. All that matters is that you make something!" as well as chapters on materials, tecniques. prompts for collages and even steps on how to create your own book for your collages. There's profiles of artists who use collages as their medium.

What can I say - this book is many things at once - its' a coffee table art book, it's an informative guide to collaging and I even think I will use it as a new years resolution and start collaging in 2022.

I can't wait to buy a physical copy of the book when it comes out next summer.

Thank you to the author, the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to review an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review - I am so glad I got approved, I have loved the book.

This is a beautiful book. It is full of useful information that has been provided in a friendly way. I am inspired by the vast array of artwork and look forward to giving this art/craft a go.

So many projects, so little time! This book has an amazing array of creative ideas using materials that would otherwise be discarded. A good way to give another purpose to old greeting cards and magazines you might have lying around. The photos are very well done and there are many. Being a beginner to collage I feel this book is very useful to me. Thank you Melanie!

Full of clear, full-color illustrations and photos that demonstrate design ideas, collaging techniques, and graphic suggestions, this book is a treasure trove for anyone who enjoys collaging or crafting. Lots of step-by-step instructions to help you stencil, letter, stamp, glue, and get more creative in what you cut, how you put it together, and where you put it. I loved this book and am grateful to Netgalley and Storey Publishing for letting me enjoy a free copy in exchange for my honest review. But really, this is a book I want to own as a hard copy so I can fully enjoy the illustrations and refer back to it as needed. Would make a great holiday gift for anyone you know who loves crafting.

This is a great intro to the concept of collage. It had great prompts and solid tips. The book definitely makes you think you can make beautiful, fantastic things yourself. I took some time to try out some projects. The first attempts definitely weren't great, but I think I have enough tactics and hints and prompts to help me keep going while I learn this new art form.

This book is great for artists looking for a more sophisticated version of the craft we all made as kids. Mowinski starts with the basics, providing primers in color theory and composition before moving on to collage-specific techniques. Layering, adding text, printmaking, and using multiple media are some examples. The coolest section of the book gives prompts for different collage projects. I would recommend this book.

Collage Your Life, I mean as I began to read, I was already inspired. A great book for beginners in collaging and for experts as well. The detail that has gone into explaining things is so good. I mean from what tools you'll need, to basics in color theory, it's phenomenal. There are prompts and exercises that can help the readers find a new passion or try something new if doing collaging is already something they enjoy. Melanie Mowinski does a great job of encouraging your own artistic talents and to be curious, it's fun to be curious and try new techniques and tools. Great for the creative person in your life.

This book is an eclectic collection of empowerment and encouragement to discover your abilities, learn to be patient and allow yourself to be creative on the page without comparing yourself to others.
Collage Your Life should be part of every library collection, including school libraries because it encourages you to challenge yourself and discover techniques you may not have used before.
The Pro Tips are really appreciated throughout because they inspire ideas and take your collage to new places.
Each of the profiles gives you insight into other artistic types of people who have developed their styles through life experience, each person creations unique and personal to them.
One of the biggest lessons I learnt was that college is more than a creative medium, it's also a way to work through feelings, let go of hurts and embrace the fact that you get to reflect on your life in a creative way.
Complete with tutorials and an inspired reading list, this is a must-have book.

Woman of my own heart! I have saved so many cards, letters, feathers, leaves, etc... I am a crafter and try to incorporate ephemera, but there is just so much! I am somewhat familiar with the idea od collage, but havn't ever pursued it artistically. This book might just be what I need to get started! Loads of ideas and how-tos. Step-by-step on tools, colors, and techniques. Incorporating stencils and rubber stamps.... Great book! I look forward to purchasing it!

I’m new to the world of junk journaling so I found this book packed with inspiration and techniques to try!